Following ... Am I correct in thinking... (1 Viewer)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I have an MTTP 75/15... and as I mentioned in the prevoius thread;

The batteries are going on "float" by lunchtime or there abouts...

This means - as we move into longer ¿sunnier? days... I am likely to be "missing" all of that potential afternoon/evening harvest of sunshine.

However, I note the MTTP has a "Load" connection going spare...

Q: Is there anything "useful" that I could do with this connection and any spare capacity produced; during those sunny afternoons?..

:)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Yes... I have a Dometic RMD8555...
It should be possible to run the fridge for a while then. If your controller is suitable you need to do a clever bit of wiring and it should work.

We have voltronic mttp 350 with AES out put. Out batts will power the fridge for a few hours most days now the sun is higher. It automatically monitors the level of the batteries and starts feeding the fridge when they are full.

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Just gleaned this from another thread on here....

I think the functionality of the output on my MTTP is the same....

There seems to be some confusion as to the the function of the power out terminal on a solar controller, The terminals are power from the battery and as such are live after dark, what the controller does is to ensure you do not draw excess power from the batteries so that when the battery level drops to say 11.5V on load the supply will cut off thus protecting the batteries. The total current that can be drawn depends on the rating of the controller 10/20 amps whatever. My 150W Inverter has been wired to these terminals for the past 6 years, I run my TV/Sat box/ DVD player, and all of my phone/laptop/mifi chargers through it with no problem, charge during the day then full batteries for TV at night. So in answer to your original question it is not live only during the day.
A compressor fridge can be powered providing you have a sufficient battery bank/solar array. Whilst it may draw 10amps initially it very quickly settles down to milliamps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
An AES fridge will draw 10 amps. That's a lot of surplus solar! The 'Load' terminals on a solar controller are used primarily when the solar system is stand-alone - in other words when it's not being used in conjunction with other charging systems or controls. So there would be a solar panel, the controller, a battery, and a load. Examples of a load could be some lights, or a traffic sign, or a remote weather station, etc. Using the load terminals under these circumstances also allows use of any built-in monitor display and / or parameters related to the load that might be useful (load turned of between certain hours, load limits, etc). Load terminals have no use and are of no value in 'our' application other than as convenient source of battery power (usually because they are rather more handy to access than the battery itself).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You are looking at this from the wrong angle. You need to fit a big inverter then run a hair dryer, microwave and coffee machine off it first thing in the morning.
This will give the solar system something to do for the rest of the day. :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
good battery bank , inverter ,mains fridge , washing machine etc . works for me.
when at home run a lead from inverter into house to power house fridge and seperate freezer .
been doing it for years . only pay 195 quid for leccy a year usually. can be less if a good sunny summer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back