LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I am in the process of making an anti theft device to fit our Iveco Carthago this will fit as part of the folding steering wheel mechanism and was wondering if other makes of Motorhome are also fitted with fold away steering wheels or is it just Carthago.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never heard of a 'fold away steering wheel' ... what exactly do you mean?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Steve

We have removable rather than the folding mechanism, and it can be secured with a key, I believe Concorde also have the removable option but don't know about locking.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Never heard of a 'fold away steering wheel' ... what exactly do you mean?
A bit like this I think.

Screenshot 2020-11-13 at 17.03.47.png

lifts and folds forward to clear the seat when it turns around.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I will take a picture tomorrow to clearly show how this works you pull two pins this releases the wheel you then lift and push forward on a hinged pivot.
I am making a simple locking device to secure the wheel in the non drivable position just for a bit of added security.
I know it will not be 100% anti theft but will be a big hurdle for them to remove it and will also have a good visual deterrent, and yes they could use an angle grinder/ still saw/ hack saw/ oxy acetelyne/ hydraulic cutters/and many other tools to remove it but that would be noisy and time consuming and most shitbags just want a quick getaway with your van.
Our van is alarmed but electronics are quite easily bypassed by those that make a living stealing vehicles.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve most vans will have airbags 😉 Only largest truck type vans will be able to use something like you suggest.
Hope you're both Keeping well 👍

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Steve most vans will have airbags 😉 Only largest truck type vans will be able to use something like you suggest.
Hope you're both Keeping well 👍
Yes we’re fine thanks Terry I know it will only be Iveco based vans just while I am getting some parts cut out was weather to get a few sets done or just do one for myself if there are no others with that setup.👍

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This cracking looking liner was parked next to us in Germany and it had one on, when we got to MORELO he was there trading it in after spending all day cleaning it.

IMG_3631 2.jpg

You can just see it tilted up if you squint :ROFLMAO:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Yes we’re fine thanks Terry I know it will only be Iveco based vans just while I am getting some parts cut out was weather to get a few sets done or just do one for myself if there are no others with that setup.👍
I congratulate you on being so ambitious in going forward with a project that you believe in, are you aware that there is an aftermarket product to convert your existing wheel to a removable one.
My MH has a removable one and it’s a feature l wouldn’t be without.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
They have been on artics for a few years now
Truck steering wheels usually have a fair degree of movement in them but none of the ones Ive been in fold like that, do you know for sure one that does? It would be very useful for me.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I congratulate you on being so ambitious in going forward with a project that you believe in, are you aware that there is an aftermarket product to convert your existing wheel to a removable one.
My MH has a removable one and it’s a feature l wouldn’t be without.
I do know that removable ones were available for earlier type Ducato/Boxer vans but then when airbags started to be fitted they stopped being available.

Our van came with this wheel fitted I am just looking at a bit of extra security so will make a simple device to do this.👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back