Folding Electric Bike 500 to 700 quid NO MORE PLEASE (1 Viewer)

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Any one recommend a decent...

CHEAP
(and don't give me that "you get what you pay for" crap either, so stow it, ok!)

UNBIASED (and no we all don't have money to waste, and all shop at Waitrose or have 100k German motorhomes and a nice house in Buckinghamshire or a London penthouse, or buy plastic mirrorguards for over 100 quid!!!)

Your valued opinion and preferably experience would be gratefully received, of a decent folding e bike for going off site and doing a but of poodling to the nearest town while in Europe?

Ebay recommendations?
Amazon recommendations?

German Bosch Mid crank systems out of my price range, Designer names also, not interested. Cheap Chinese ones that are OK will all do nicely thank you.

Waiting with gratitude and appreciation. :cycle::smiley: Many Thanks!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have a non folding ProRider for a couple of years - I am very happy with it, transports my 16+ stone bulk with ease. Never yet run out of juice (but I only do a couple of miles each way).

They do two folders
This is £499
Link Removed
And this has 20" wheels for £699
Link Removed

Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Kudos E-Bikes were advertising in a recent MotorCaravaners magazine that seemed good value.

I was trying to recall the name of the one we bought last year

It was Kudo, seems good, folds into a bag they provide, I think it has a 60kg limit, but I have ridden it o_O

Bev loves it (y)

Think we paid about £600, but on the basis that I couldn't even remember the name we might have paid anything :)

But I set out with your kind of budget (y) so think it was around that price

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not going to recommend any particular make or dealer but please try several models and makes before you buy. What suits one person is torture for another. £500 is an expensive mistake if it doesn't suit you and you don't use it.

Also it is worth getting a saddle that fits properly. Some local bike shops have saddle clinics where you sit on a memory foam cushion and they can take measurements and recommend the best saddle. I did that and thought I would be told I needed an expensive saddle but the one that was my size was all of £19.99 !!!!! And it made a huge difference to the (lack of) derriere numbness after a long ride.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
AS Bikes have always been highly thought of by Funster - IMO their prices have been increasing, thus might be out of your budget.
Link Removed
Their price is confusing - top of description its £745+£20postage but at the bottom its £815 :oops:.
AS Bikes are at most Shows, so you can get to chat & test before you buy (maybe even show discount?).

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We bought our Bromptons on Ebay one under £500 one just over but it has more expensive options fitted.
They are the best and easiest folders.
Don't buy from Landon area as they command a higher price as more in demand. Both my sellers happy to post for around £20.
Edit.. sorry just realised you wanted electric. We have had ours electrified but at a further cost of £1000.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
bicycles4u.com ... have a look at the electric ones they have

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Well,.... when I'm cycling on my bosh German ubicanube 2000 to Waitrose to do my shopping from my Niesmann & Bischoff I can park 20miles away..... darlings......:D2

You must get one....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well,.... when I'm cycling on my bosh German ubicanube 2000 to Waitrose to do my shopping from my Niesmann & Bischoff I can park 20miles away..... darlings......:D2

You must get one....
... but if you had a standard sized MH you wouldn't NEED to park 20 miles away .... :D2

OP
OP
Camping Gaza

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
If you walk in to the shop to buy a bike, and talk too them like that they will probably put the price up.

Yes, the VERY reason I would not purchase from a shop and precisely why I am asking you lovely and knowledgable folk

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I have a folding e- bike from e-ranger Lincolnshire .we bought it from Harrogate show and it's been great.
Shows often have a discount deals.:D

There are often funsters selling bikes why not ask on a wanted thread?!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
AS Bikes have always been highly thought of by Funster - IMO their prices have been increasing,.

Yes, I had them down at £700 max. And that looks like the one showing £1025 or £925 if you read the small print.

But the £ has suffered since then.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Have a look on ebay and see if there are any for sale near you privately so you can go and look at/try them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yo expect me to park with the riff raff in Waitrose..? :eek:

;)
... we get a nice free coffee but obviously not to your taste! :p

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
... we get a nice free coffee but obviously not to your taste! :p

Our Truro one is like a little palace.....:p
IMG_0788.JPG

OP
OP
Camping Gaza

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
I don't know about cheap electric bikes, mine cost £3125, oh and i have got the mirror guards.;)

Well I went with what you said about your electric bike and bought this:
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Haibike-xDuro-Full-Seven-Carbon-Pro-2016

Link Removed

Ok I know it doesn't fold but hey...

Got a fantastic deal down from a paltry £9,499. to £7,999. Now that's what I call a bargain! In fact I think they have a saying at that shop, "The more you buy, the more you save" Perhaps I should buy a spare?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Here's a tiddler for you:

Link Removed

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

Link Removed

Got a fantastic deal down from a paltry £9,499. to £7,999. Now that's what I call a bargain! In fact I think they have a saying at that shop, "The more you buy, the more you save" Perhaps I should buy a spare?
It will sit in the garage unused as you really wanted a cheap electric folding bike !!;)

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome

Link Removed

AH such sarcasm, did you get the mirror guards aswell.(y)

StephenH

Free Member
Mar 9, 2017
Southport
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
All Seasons do a decent one, for about £700. It has gears which means if the battery runs out you can still get home...unlike other ebikes! Check out reviews of folding bikes on ebikeclass.com

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We got one each last year from here
Broken Link Removed
If you go to France , they are all over, and they will do deals, just ask , ours were last years models and were nearly down to half price.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back