Folding bikes (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
Hi does any one use a folding bike and if so do they have any recommendations. Many thanks Rich

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
More info on their intended purpose would be helpful - I have a Dahon Presto Lite folder, which has 12" wheels, that I use for train journeys. Bromptons are the ubiquitous folders, as their folded size is unmatched, but at around £800 they are pricey for occasional use. There's an old saying about bike buying: strong, light, cheap - choose any two!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yep, strong, light and cheap. Any two from three. I used a folder many moons ago when at Uni and traveled hundreds of miles on it. Once took it in the train to London and cycled out to see my then boyfriend (now my husband of 34 years) who lived in Reading.

The choice today is staggering. Take your time and try them out until you find one that suits you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I asked this question almost FIVE years ago :roflmto:.. I was considering a Brompton..

Link Removed

I never bought a folder.. in the end bought full size.. however, I was impressed by this suggestion from Savantuk ..

Hi Jim,

I've been using folders for years, as they were excellent for folding and putting in the camper. I've had 3, and all ended up getting stolen, two in Holland, and one in Ireland. They are truly excellent bit's of kit, and they do offer a similar experience to a regular bike.

I have however, after reading many reviews, and a lot of heart searching, replaced the Bromptom with a John Whyte designed Mezzo D9. It is similarly priced to a Brompton, around £700, but for me, it's a much better ride. Why?? The ALUMINIUM frame doesn't fold, so it's much more rigid. It has a much better component fit too, Shimano Tiagra/SRAM mix, all really good quality. Unlike the Brompton, where all the components are Brompton specific, all the Mezzo parts are easily available from your local shop, and this also allows you to upgrade to whatever level you wish. It does fold up to a package about the same size as a Brompton, though the experts say it takes about 5 seconds longer. My god, a whole 5 seconds!!!

The biggest bonus however, is that it's not a Brompton, and because it is less well known, is less attarctive to thieves.

Mezzo Folding Bike .. a review

Link Removed

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfsdyi13pRI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfsdyi13pRI[/ame]

OP
OP
R
Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
Thank you I'm really only looking for short distances up to 5 miles and mainly to ride alongside a regatta course yelling encouragement to my daughter as she races on the water. Longest distance is 1000 metres but we when's there two of them in a k2 I can't keep up.

Plus when's she's not racing one of the other children could use it

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I don't have one, but I see them coming up at auction for very reasonable prices, so you might consider that as a possible source if you don't mind second hand.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Folding bikes are a bit like motorhomes - always a compromise.

At a max ride length of 5 miles, you can afford to compromise on the ride & then decide what is more important - the ease of the fold, the folded size, the weight & the price.

Can't really narrow the choice down until you have those factors listed in order of priority.

Start by measuring up the space where you would store it inside.
Then if it's awkward to lift it in & out, or if you are short of payload anyway, the weight becomes significant.

After that, the folding mechanism & the price come into the equation.

PeteDenton

Free Member
Aug 23, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Merc Vario conversion
Exp
Limited
I am now on my 2nd folding bike for commuting - loved the first one so much I got another as back-up!

They do:

• 20" wheels (light weight and relatively small to store but best on tarmac or similar good quality surfaces)
  • 24" wheels (relatively uncommon wheel size, a bit bigger to store but ride more like a full size bike)
  • 26" wheels (don't fold as small but closest to a standard bike)
Their range includes relatively cheap (£350) o the high end (best part of £2,000!).

Available from Evans in the UK - but rumour is maybe not for much longer. The Tern website gives a deal finder directory.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back