Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Yes, we bought one for Mrs D. As we have a scooter we got sick of bringing her normal mountain bike inside the van every time so we bought an Urbanite.

The first thing you need to know is that they have to be serviced when you get them. Nothing is properly lined up or set and they tell you this to be fair. I didnt read the small print and first trip out the brakes didnt work and the chain snapped. The company sent us a new chain FOC but a full service at a local bike shop cost £40. Ok if your handy and can do it yourself.

Mrs D misses her old mountain bike though. She says the folding bike is much harder to ride. I suspect if I put some road tyres on it might be easier and I might try that.

At the end of the day they are ok for a cheap folding bike but thats just what they are really a cheap folding bike, dont expect too much. Problem is they seem to leap in price from around £160 to £600 and over £1000. So for the money I guess they are ok.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I agree with you Barry.
As a keen cyclists, we commonly refer to such machines as 'BSOs' ;'Bicycle-Shaped Objects'.
As with anything, you get what you pay for.
This is not to say they are no good for casual use, but like you say, they generally come in the box in the state they were when they left China.
Best advice is to ensure you have a good bike mechanic friend or factor-in the cost of assembly by a 'proper' bike shop, not Halfords et all......................
The quality of ride of even the cheapest bikes can be greatly improved by a good build.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I agree with you Barry.
As a keen cyclists, we commonly refer to such machines as 'BSOs' ;'Bicycle-Shaped Objects'.
As with anything, you get what you pay for.
This is not to say they are no good for casual use, but like you say, they generally come in the box in the state they were when they left China.
Best advice is to ensure you have a good bike mechanic friend or factor-in the cost of assembly by a 'proper' bike shop, not Halfords et all......................
The quality of ride of even the cheapest bikes can be greatly improved by a good build.

Do you think the idea of fitting road tyres onto a folding mountain bike will make a difference? It never goes off road so I wondered if it would be a bit easier to cycle with road tyres.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I think most of the cheap folders come from the same source we have one - great for a bit of fun - super for going down hill - hard work going up hill - build quality looks good when new but 12 months down the line the Chrome plating has gone rusty and all the joints are getting very loose. In a nutshell great for a bit of a laugh but for someone looking to do serious cycling you have to dig a lot deeper in the pocket

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think most of the cheap folders come from the same source we have one - great for a bit of fun - super for going down hill - hard work going up hill - build quality looks good when new but 12 months down the line the Chrome plating has gone rusty and all the joints are getting very loose. In a nutshell great for a bit of a laugh but for someone looking to do serious cycling you have to dig a lot deeper in the pocket

Agreed.. but on the plus side .. less likely to get nicked .. :roflmto:

Folders are fine for tar mac and ideal for commuters using public transport, but if you want to go along tracks and trails you can't beat a good quality mountain bike.. decent starter bikes from about £350 .. good quality £600+

How much you spend depends on your wallet and needs.. If I couldn't afford new, I would buy a good quality second hand rather than a new cheapie .. plenty on ebay. but be careful, some second hand folders are little saving on new.

If spending serious dosh, go along to a proper bike shop, ask for advice and try them out .. generally speaking, the lighter they are the easier they are to pedal.

Bikes have come a long way in the past 20 odd years, .. so have the prices..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back