Foldaway steps for a fixed rear double bed (1 Viewer)

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
Has anyone made steps that fold away during the daytime that you can fold down & out to access the bed at night. Am using a single step at the moment but that has to be moved out of the way & stored during the day.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
The Frankia we used to have had steps that folded away into the garage during the day ......I used to keep my washing basket in the garage and could put the dirty washing through the gap in the steps ...our present motorhome has permanent steps and I often think it would be great to be able to have a gap to post the washing through again instead of having to go outside to the garage with it.

OP
OP
LadyBea

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
Hi Anne, thanks for your reply, what model Frankia did you have please, I'll try & find some pictures to see how they were done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Anne, thanks for your reply, what model Frankia did you have please, I'll try & find some pictures to see how they were done.
Can't honestly remember the model but it was 8.5 metres found a photo but can't see the model number
IMG_1037.JPG

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Found this via google it's very similar but ours hinged back into garage this seems to fold into cupboard.
IMG_0124.PNG

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
How high is your bed @Kitty ? I assume you are looking for steps as opposed to a ladder type?

OP
OP
LadyBea

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
Not sure of height. It is a hobby vantana K65FT. It's not high enough for a ladder, I think 2 steps would do. I have found davanne steps they look very neat. Perhaps the easiet solution would be to make a door under the bed & then we could put the steps under the bed during the day out of the way. Thank you for your replies.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just one thing to think about with a fixed/foldaway step - can you still access what you need to with it 'deployed'? We have a central shower arrangement which I think is similar to yours but if we had steps mounted out from the front of the bed base we wouldn't be able to use the toilet compartment due to the tambour door not being able to be moved round ... I tried every which way to make a set of steps that would simply push out of the way for ours but it was more trouble that it was worth and they still had to be moved to use the loo, so I use a large plastic strong stool/step (not a normal stool) which can easily be lifted up onto the bed during the day out of the way and just placed on the floor at night when needed, it can also stay in place until morning as it still allows the tambour door to go round the outside. The stool also doubles up outside as a table, a spare seat, leg rest etc!

Reactions: emo
OP
OP
LadyBea

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
Just one thing to think about with a fixed/foldaway step - can you still access what you need to with it 'deployed'? We have a central shower arrangement which I think is similar to yours but if we had steps mounted out from the front of the bed base we wouldn't be able to use the toilet compartment due to the tambour door not being able to be moved round ... I tried every which way to make a set of steps that would simply push out of the way for ours but it was more trouble that it was worth and they still had to be moved to use the loo, so I use a large plastic strong stool/step (not a normal stool) which can easily be lifted up onto the bed during the day out of the way and just placed on the floor at night when needed, it can also stay in place until morning as it still allows the tambour door to go round the outside. The stool also doubles up outside as a table, a spare seat, leg rest etc!

I have thought about a folding step stool, we have one already from lakeland but it is not very large. The only thing we wouldn't be able to access is the wardrobe which wouldn't be a problem. Will have to look for a larger stool now.

There's always one isn't there. Ha ha.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back