Fold away sink (1 Viewer)

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Twelve months and still learning.
OK, here's my very first question on this great forum. I'm sure the answer is a simple one but for the life of me, I cannot fathom how to remove the fold away sink in my Swift Autocruise Select 122.

I noticed that water was finding its way out of the washroom and it seems to be residual water from the sink when folded. I assume such run off should be dumped outside via a drain but I do not know how to gain access. Can anyone help please?

OP
OP
U.Toadifact
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Your wish is my command.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The wall that the basin is mounted on, I assume to be an internal wall. Is there any hatches on the reverse, potentially hidden, that will allow any access?.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Is it when you first tip it to empty it or afterwards? I had a tip up basin on an old caravan. Worked ok if I tipped gently but some remained so I'd pull it back down and dry it with an old flannel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U.Toadifact
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Difficult to know as I only noticed the water on the floor when I picked up a fallen cushion and the corner was wet. The sink plughole is free draining so I can only assume the water originates from the drops adhering to the sink which then roll down the back after folding.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U.Toadifact
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
The wall that the basin is mounted on, I assume to be an internal wall. Is there any hatches on the reverse, potentially hidden, that will allow any access?.
No hatches hidden or otherwise. The panel below the sink has no obvious fasteners either.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It looks similar to this one for sale but I cannot find make or see how it might be removed. You can see how it drains though from the photos and I would have said that the drain, like most of these sinks, is small bore and easily blocks. However you said it was free draining.
However, we have the Thetford Cleo type and although the water disappears from the bowl when tipped up, it is not always easy to see that the small narrow container for the water isn’t draining, then we get a damp floor! Our sink lifts out so can be checked and cleaned. Yours could be doing the same filling up that black plastic bit and overflowing.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would think the waste tube goes across to the right, towards the outside wall. If so can you remove the toilet cassette and look up and see anything.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
U.Toadifact - I have exactly the same sink in my Autocruise Alto and had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Assuming it is fixed the same way as mine then it is just located on a couple of lugs and can be pulled off. Have the sink half way down and gently pull. The best way I can describe it is it’s like a parcel shelf in a hatchback car! You can remove entirely as there are no pipes connected.
The plug hole is just that - the water drains into a trough which is fixed to the wall and slightly angled to allow the waste to flow to the left and then drain down a waste pipe into the grey waste tank.
My ‘blockage’ was due to a small piece of soap sitting over the waste pipe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
Shower hose or toilet flush dripping?
My wife catches the shower tap when exiting the bathroom and it used to often be left dripping.
Loose push fit connector?
You could add some food colouring to the sink water to see if that helps locate the problem, but pick one that wont discolour the sink.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U.Toadifact
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
U.Toadifact - I have exactly the same sink in my Autocruise Alto and had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Assuming it is fixed the same way as mine then it is just located on a couple of lugs and can be pulled off. Have the sink half way down and gently pull. The best way I can describe it is it’s like a parcel shelf in a hatchback car! You can remove entirely as there are no pipes connected.
The plug hole is just that - the water drains into a trough which is fixed to the wall and slightly angled to allow the waste to flow to the left and then drain down a waste pipe into the grey waste tank.
My ‘blockage’ was due to a small piece of soap sitting over the waste pipe.
As above, pull it out at an angle of about 45 degrees. Gets very scummy in the trough. Do ours quite regularly.
Thank you to all who have replied and particularly Cal54 and Bilbo Baggins. Sink removed in seconds, drain hole blocked by soap scum and hair. Cleaned out, re-fitted and all now good.

What a great source of wisdom we have on this forum. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

craftycarol

Free Member
Feb 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
caravan
Hi I have an old caravan some of the grey underneath, which I can replace but the caravan has fold up sink vanity unit and I cannot see where the waste pipe from basin connects to an6 help would be appreciated

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Welcome Carol. Hope someone may be of help yo you. Riverbankannie do you know this system?
Unfortunately the waste pipe will be hidden behind the unit so it depends whether you have any access behind the washroom wall. We are fortunate with ours in that the fridge backs onto the washroom so we have a little access from outside through the fridge vents. Above the fridge is a wardrobe and some people with our van, cut an access hatch in the wardrobe wall.

Upvote 0

Churchie

Free Member
Oct 23, 2022
Rothwell, UK
Funster No
MH
swift autocruise rhy
Exp
Since 2008
Thank you so much for this information. It’s given us the courage to get the sink out and sure enough trough was blocked. Brilliant help

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Well worth the subscription just for the relief of getting it sorted via Funsters knowledge.

Now the rest of the year is free, so enjoy and keep posting updates and pictures etc, as we all enjoy sharing your journeys.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Thank you to all who have replied and particularly Cal54 and Bilbo Baggins. Sink removed in seconds, drain hole blocked by soap scum and hair. Cleaned out, re-fitted and all now good.

What a great source of wisdom we have on this forum. Thanks again.
Help please. We have what appears to be the same basin. However I cannot find a slot to release the basin.
I think a design change? Do the lugs come with the basin or the basin clip to lugs?
I cannot find any movement gently pulling on the basin as I lower it. There doesn't appear to be a way of the lug releasing the basin.
Thanks
Well worth the subscription just for the relief of getting it sorted via Funsters knowledge.

Now the rest of the year is free, so enjoy and keep posting updates and pictures etc, as we all enjoy sharing your journeys.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Boaty ,If it is exactly the same model of sink as shown , the lugs are on the housing sides and there are swivel / runner grooves on the sink on each of its sides , if you tilt the sink 45 degrees you should just about be able to see the lugs above each side near the bottom of the sink housing between the housing and the sink.
It may help release the sink from the lugs if you can press the sink sides in a bit when you are trying to remove it , while it is tilted.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Thanks. Lost comms. in off-grid Sardegna. No give at all. No lateral shift.
Will see if Auto-trail can help, attach photos of mine.
PXL_20231023_163611529.jpg

Photo of pulled basin could help.
PXL_20231023_162936921.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Although similar , yours is not the same as the tilting sink unit I have in my Autocruise (as in the post 11 photo ) so cannot help with its removal but hopefully Autotrail can help or is there a owners forum that may be able to help or someone else sees your photos on here and has the answer

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Although similar , yours is not the same as the tilting sink unit I have in my Autocruise (as in the post 11 photo ) so cannot help with its removal but hopefully Autotrail can help or is there a owners forum that may be able to help or someone else sees your photos on here and has the answer
Reply from Auto-trail:
"We would always advise using a bottle brush/pipe cleaner to clean the trough section of the flip-up sink."
Further adding they do not recommend removing the sink.
Now have to tell the other half "I told you so." 🤕.
Thanks to all for advise 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back