Fog Lights (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Highway Code
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Absolutely, also usually in combination with an electro/mechanical handbrake so no need to sit on the pedal.
Conventional handbrakes are still in use in the majority of cars. Start/stop economy systems require continuous use of the footbrake in most cases. Driving schools (and it therefore follows that the driving test) now expect the footbrake in use when stopping at traffic lights. Some cars introduce a delay in releasing the footbrake from vehicle stationary to allow time for the foot to shift onto the accelerator. I can't see any value in using the handbrake during a temporary stop.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Highway Code
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

& if you read my post no;51 again you will see that from your own link RVLR no 25 that I posted shows the EXCEPTIONS to using headights...................when you have the F/fogs on.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The value in using the handbrake is to
a) be a considerate driver
b) comply with the Highway Code rule 114
Anybody who has ever waited behind one of these lazy people and then not realised the effect of their own actions on the driver behind is obviously blind and/or brain dead!
Steve

Completely agree. I don't care how quickly you wear out your car. What annoys me is you not caring about other drivers and the consequences of your actions. High level led brake lights are designed to be so quick acting and so bright that they immediately notify other road users that you are braking. For that reason you should get your foot off the brake whenever possible to avoid dazzling other road users.

Oh and stupidly bright headlights ate illegal for a reason.. I wish plod would work a bit harder to get them all off the road..

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Conventional handbrakes are still in use in the majority of cars. Start/stop economy systems require continuous use of the footbrake in most cases. Driving schools (and it therefore follows that the driving test) now expect the footbrake in use when stopping at traffic lights. Some cars introduce a delay in releasing the footbrake from vehicle stationary to allow time for the foot to shift onto the accelerator. I can't see any value in using the handbrake during a temporary stop.
Depends how long you are stopped for but a fully automatic handbrake system does it all but probably too expensive to fit to a delivery van!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Completely agree. I don't care how quickly you wear out your car. What annoys me is you not caring about other drivers and the consequences of your actions. High level led brake lights are designed to be so quick acting and so bright that they immediately notify other road users that you are braking. For that reason you should get your foot off the brake whenever possible to avoid dazzling other road users.

Oh and stupidly bright headlights ate illegal for a reason.. I wish plod would work a bit harder to get them all off the road..
How on earth do you dazzle the driver in a car that's stationary behind you? That's simply saying 'I don't like bright lights'. And which cars have the 'stupidly bright' headlights that should draw Police attention? I don't think I've ever seen a car with illegally bright headlights.

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Pucklechurch, Bristol BS16 9SE, UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
OK, maybe dazzle is a bit strong! However if you ever have to queue behind one of these modern cars with LED brake and high level brake lights for 30 minutes, in the rain, you will understand what I mean! My interpretation of dazzle is when I look away and all I can see are red lights before my eyes. I know I am getting on a bit and this may affect my eyesight (still HGV standard though) and my tolerance but the regulation says "dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users". That seems clear to me. To think that anyone can defend their use of the brake pedal over the handbrake smacks of .... well - er - (looking for a good word) laziness and selfishness. I use my handbrake (even the Ducato one) and I can't think why others don't except for those two reasons.
And another thing (don't get me started - oops - too late) why do so many people drive around with lamps out, surely this means they are neglecting their vehicle checks, laziness again, and don't have the wit to realise the impact this may have on other road users. These people must see others driving with defective lamps and they still don't see the problem! They have completely forgotten their responsibilities as motor vehicle operators.
As it's the holiday season may I wish all Funsters the best time over Christmas and the New Year, I'm not a grumpy git, honest! I'm certainly not going in Jims "other" forum.
Steve

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
OK, maybe dazzle is a bit strong! However if you ever have to queue behind one of these modern cars with LED brake and high level brake lights for 30 minutes, in the rain, you will understand what I mean! My interpretation of dazzle is when I look away and all I can see are red lights before my eyes. I know I am getting on a bit and this may affect my eyesight (still HGV standard though) and my tolerance but the regulation says "dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users". That seems clear to me. To think that anyone can defend their use of the brake pedal over the handbrake smacks of .... well - er - (looking for a good word) laziness and selfishness. I use my handbrake (even the Ducato one) and I can't think why others don't except for those two reasons.
And another thing (don't get me started - oops - too late) why do so many people drive around with lamps out, surely this means they are neglecting their vehicle checks, laziness again, and don't have the wit to realise the impact this may have on other road users. These people must see others driving with defective lamps and they still don't see the problem! They have completely forgotten their responsibilities as motor vehicle operators.
As it's the holiday season may I wish all Funsters the best time over Christmas and the New Year, I'm not a grumpy git, honest! I'm certainly not going in Jims "other" forum.
Steve
Actually I don't entirely disagree about brakelights when stationary but things are moving away from use of the handbrake in these circumstances. Pupils are now taught to wait at lights on the footbrake and in gear (and have been for much longer during PSV tuition), vehicles are being designed that only shut off the engine whilst the brakes are on, so I suppose my point really is that it's not entirely thoughtlessness on the part of the driver in front. There are many issues with vehicle lighting that annoy me more such as the one about faulty lights that you mention, drivers following so close that their lights are in my mirrors, abuse of auxiliary lights, the requirement to use dip inside 30mph limits (I believe use of sidelights where appropriate would be more sensible - oncoming dipped headlights 'hide' cyclists and pedestrians), vehicles stopped / temporarily parked with their headlights on, vehicles parked 'against' the traffic flow at night, and more. Stationary cars with their brakelights on is something that hasn't bothered me ........... yet.:xsmile:

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Steve
I can think of another reason other than laziness or thoughtlessness for not using the Ducato handbrake much!
As for sidelights I think of them as useful for parking lights only but even that choice is removed on a lot of vehicles now with the switch being lights on or lights off. At least this type of switch should reduce the numbers of people determined to stay on sidelights until they can't see any more.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back