Fog light Farce (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our first mot on 3 year old Hymer Starline.
Failed due to no rear fog light on drivers side.Passenger side ok.
Two hours later still not fixed.Something to do with too much or too little power,modules or resisters.
Got to go back Thursday for a auto electrical engineer to look at !
What a faf around .Hope they sort it rather than bump me to Merc dealer.Time running out.

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
I don't know anything about Hymers and I can't remember what my Burstner has for rear fog lights, but are you sure it has a fog lamp bulb in place and is wired in. Some continental vehicles only have 1 fog lamp connected up.
Probably way off the mark but worth a check

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
If it is a left hand drive Hymer and imported direct not set up for the English market it is very likely that it only has one fog light fitted and that will be in the European "offside" cluster and the reversing light fitted in the European "nearside" cluster.

I may be talking through my hat but have a look at the rear of your Hymer and see if the clusters are mirror images or if the layout differs. It is possible your vehicle examiner was looking for a fog light where one is not actually fitted (UK offside).

I do appreciate that yours is significantly newer than mine but my clusters were exchanged and rewired to have the fog light on the UK offside.

Hope this is a help, failing that it is back to eating hats etc.

Clive

Just seen that you have posted again while I was typing. I will leave it there in case it is a help for others. If you had seen two working in the past it should be a simple fix.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Never seen them working , never used them.First mot flagged it up.Right hand drive from Travelworld new.Speao to them tomorrow

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Can't remember and can't check at the moment but I seem to think that our imported Hymer only lights the rear ones if the front are on too.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Ah, well if it is right hand drive everything should be in the right place then. Good luck with Travelworld tomorrow.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Will not rock the boat by telling then a light board plugged in on our permanent scooter rack cancels out the fog lights .Just want my mot .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
thought you only needed one, my pickup has just one fastened under the bumper, never been the slightest issue over it.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
thought you only needed one, my pickup has just one fastened under the bumper, never been the slightest issue over it.
Me too, had to actually enable both in ecu programmer for my car. Not enabled in any VW group cars as standard I was told.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we bought our new Rapido 709F in 2005 we found that the rear lights didn't work properly and the fog and reversing lights were the wrong way round for the UK!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Jump the wire across from the left one and that is it simple connection between the two. fixed even with LEDs.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Jump the wire across from the left one and that is it simple connection between the two. fixed even with LEDs.

Don't do it! A garage in Oman did that to my Dodge headlights as one didn't work after they replaced the internal heat exchanger. A month later the Central Timing Module burnt out. The electronics in your van are not designed to have double the power coming from one connection.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Jump the wire across from the left one and that is it simple connection between the
Hi.
As regards running two off of one wire being a no no,disconnect the duff wires,jump the wires across and leave the bulb out of the n/side one ?
Tea Bag

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi.
As regards running two off of one wire being a no no,disconnect the duff wires,jump the wires across and leave the bulb out of the n/side one ?
Tea Bag
... or just disconnect the wires from the n/side one and extend them to the o/side ...

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
.. or just disconnect the wires from the n/side one and extend them to the o/side ..
Hi @Minxy Girl
They could be in a Loom,whereas if you "Jump" across underneath its easy peasy. Done it with trailers,but in those days we had "Dynamos" and could fabricate a Fuse from anything up to a...2" NAIL:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag (Pre Canbus?(y))

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are they overlooking the obvious. The Hella light unit Hymer use is not of the best design when it comes to the bulb connection plate. The unit is not completely weather sealed and you can get corrosion problems with the bulb connectors. I always take my units off and cover the bulb holder strip with silicon grease or Waxoil to stop moisture problems.
I wouldn't recommend jumping a wire across from the other side it will probably upset the CANBUS system.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The wife reminds me that TW supplied the van 2.5 years old in June last year with a mot.Therefore it must have been working before

Sep 4, 2017
Peterborough
Funster No
Exp
Since 2014 ex tugger
All I did was use a pair of matched LED bulbs which used less power than one normal bulb and hey presto I now have an off side and near side rear fog lamps and my bulb failure light doesnt come on either, this trick works well without putting any extra strain on the system. one LED bulb only brings on a bulb failure lamp without failure due to it not drawing the correct power for the system same as in most cars today.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Tried, apparently not. thanks
And a bulb with the earth.???????? unless it is a canbus system then it might not but the power might be rather negligible with a LED bulb.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
TW have said that it is canbus.They remove the working bulb to opposite side along with the feed.System will not run two bulbs..
Will explain this to garage in morning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back