LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
although im in a nice hotel,it makes me relize why i love motorhoming or just living on a campsite in general,i have no idea who my neigbours are,there is a bar cum restaurant with no atmoshere at all,a fridge with no freezer so no ice,how am i expected to drink my booze without ice,its a bloody sin,and the silence is killing me,n someone make some bloody noise

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
"but none of this i told the garage so it must be the clutch?" Why on earth haven't you told the garage that possibly vital bit of information? Trying to start the engine in gear could just possibly cause the timing belt to jump which would cause the non starting, it also might mean you've trashed your engine!

Tell your garage EVERYTHING, they are not the enemy unless you want them to be!

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
That's got me puzzled, how can that happen ?

Because on some engines the timing belt tensioner is spring loaded rather than fixed solidly. Starting an engine in gear and then stalling it can put a reverse load onto the belt and tensioner causing it to jump a tooth or two (or more). I can't remember off the top of my head if the 2.8 is a spring loaded tensioner or fixed but I think its spring loaded. It is definitely spring loaded on X250 2.3 engines which is why some have jumped the cam timing during freezing weather (condensation forms on the cam sprocket and freezes then when you try to start it jumps teeth as the ice holds the belt out of the grooves). Starting an engine in gear is never a good idea.

D.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
driving along and got a burning smell like electric wire burning then managed to get into a service station,clutch went straight to the floor,turned engine off tried to jump it without cluctch to safer position,got it into gear with engine off started engine jumped once the stalled after that seemed like the clutch was ok but the engine wouldnt start,but none of this i told the garage so it must be the clutch?
I know I'm Mr Gloomy on these things but your description doesn't sound like clutch/flywheel failure. But hopefully I'm proven wrong again. :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Because on some engines the timing belt tensioner is spring loaded.........
D.

Thanks Dave. I hate not knowing things.

I don't recall ever cursing a timing chain but I've certainly cursed timing belts. Then there was my VFR750 with gear driven cams, built to last 1000 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
From my limited knowledge I know it's the clutch,as for not telling them they are the mechanic not me its like a dr saying wats wrong,if i knew that I would be a dr

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's got me puzzled, how can that happen ?
Additionally with the older transits you were specifically told not to do that as the chain tensioner was hydraulic from oil pressure so when you bumped it or towed & dropped it in gear it was possible for it to jump.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
It dont matter it needs fixing lol,sorry had a few,shhhhlol

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
From my limited knowledge I know it's the clutch,as for not telling them they are the mechanic not me its like a dr saying wats wrong,if i knew that I would be a dr

That's about the weakest excuse I could imagine for not telling them the full story. They need to know everything that's occurred so that they can make an informed diagnosis. What I can't get my head around is you'll happily tell all and sundry on here what happened but not the people who really need to know, that makes no sense at all to me.

D.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Dont matter dave u ain't doing the job,dont sweat about it

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
The longer it takes them to diagnose the fault the more money it's going to cost you so my advice is give them all the information you can.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
They have already quoted,they know it's the clutch,but wont know if need fly wheel as well till they strip it tomorrow,as for telling them everything,trust me its impossible,no english,no italian,I know its something with the clutch and so do they,hopefully its not the fly wheel,but if they wear then why not fit a new 1 while its stripped down.All I can do is wait and hope work starts on it tomorrow,that much I do know,the rac french office has been great,the italian side of it total waste of space.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
update,garage says part will be there this afternoon,i have informed the garage via rac to fit a new flywheel anyway,if its stipped down it may as well have a new 1,and the van will be ready by tomorrow (tues)evening,but when im in the van and driving it then i will know its done lol

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Nice one Bill, hope your on your way tomorrow, good luck mate

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
all sorted and running fine,we are now on lake Iseo nice place but its frigging raining,total bill was 1650euro,they wasnt interested on cash so had to pay the vat

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
dropping ami off at bergamo airprt for around 4pm,then im gonna just go home to beni,as quick as possible,even using tolls,

Reactions: DBK
Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Glad you are sorted Bill, you can put it all behind you once you get to Beni,

Eric

Join us or log in to post a reply.