Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
Hi all,

Debs and I are planning to spend the majority of next year touring Portugal and Spain. To that end, I am a keen Angler, in particular Fly Fishing (Trout) I tie my own etc and have done mostly Reserviour and Stillwater with limited running water time.
Do we have any info, any other Fluff Chuckers or any advice on the subject from our members?
I do Sea Angling also and will be looking to dangle the odd worm off the harbours and jetties!!
Cheers all

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Don't know anything about trout fishing in Portugal, we did see quite a lot of lovely looking lakes though didn't see anyone fishing them though, I did find out that even for a bit of beach fishing you do need a rod licence, and I believe Spain is the same.

No idea where you would obtain the said beastie though, possibly a post office.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I am a passionate fly fisher as you can see from my Avatar picture. I spent 30 years doing Still-Water then moved on to Sea Trout fishing in Wales (Towey & Gwili) and that is what I have been doing for the last 10 years (It's a challenge and a half).

France is totaly Crap for fly fishing (they come to Wales or Scotland). Sea fishing is another story, some great Sea Bass can be caught around Brittany, if you know what your doing. I'm a bit of a chucker and chancer!! Your required to have a local license. Spain is more or less the same without the Sea Bass, and a lot of locals will fish from harbor walls and like the French eat everything they catch. Some of the best European Trout fishing can be had in Slovenia but you need to do some research as some of the local clubs charge up to €90.00 for a days fishing.

On the other hand, if you want to be up to your neck in thousands of fresh Salmon (and I mean hundreds of thousands), get over to Vancouver Island. It is unbelievable. You can catch fresh Salmon of the fly, all day long, every day, during the Salmon runs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have fished in Sweden and Norway with the fly, mainly in rivers with great success. The oddest thing I ever saw was some Polish people fly fishing for pike and catching in Sweden. Looked great fun with light tackle. Am told you can fly fish for most species as long as you use the correct lure.

OP
OP
Bobndebs McKay

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
I currently live in Berlin and the prospects here are dire I must say, I can get up to the Baltic Coast for Sea Trout, but its hard work for little reward!!
I shall be looking to chuck a fly whilst in Spain and Portugal, maybe even for Mullet and the like. Vancouver Island:crying1: bit ambitious for me I am afraid, although maybe I can convince Debs that Norway in the Autumn is not too bad !!:winky: My main interest for now though is Spain and Portugal for next year. I shall get a month at home fishing Farmoor in April so that will be a welcome diversion. Thanks for input though chaps, I shall keep looking. Nice fish BTW Phillippft!! very nice!!:clap:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have fished in Sweden and Norway with the fly, mainly in rivers with great success. The oddest thing I ever saw was some Polish people fly fishing for pike and catching in Sweden. Looked great fun with light tackle. Am told you can fly fish for most species as long as you use the correct lure.
Correct! They also fish for numerous species in Slovenia on the fly. They have been fly fishing for pike in the UK for many years now, mostly at the back end of the season when it's bloody freezing. I'm not that hardy anymore.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I was stationed in Berlin during the cold war. (Wilhelmstraße) One Squadron (12) of main battle tanks (Centurions Mk12) surround by 3 divisions of Russian amour. (would have lasted about 5 seconds if they ever invaded LOL). A fantastic city, probably the best posting in the whole of Europe at that time. Often thought of returning.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I currently live in Berlin and the prospects here are dire I must say, I can get up to the Baltic Coast for Sea Trout, but its hard work for little reward!!
I shall be looking to chuck a fly whilst in Spain and Portugal, maybe even for Mullet and the like. Vancouver Island:crying1: bit ambitious for me I am afraid, although maybe I can convince Debs that Norway in the Autumn is not too bad !!:winky: My main interest for now though is Spain and Portugal for next year. I shall get a month at home fishing Farmoor in April so that will be a welcome diversion. Thanks for input though chaps, I shall keep looking. Nice fish BTW Phillippft!! very nice!!:clap:
I used to have one of those, many years ago:LOL:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Local knowledge is pretty useful I think when it comes to fishing. A quick Google throws up this company who can offer guides - not cheap I guess but probably the best way to ensure you actually might catch something. I caught my first salmon by standing exactly where I was told and precisely following the instructions given by my father on where to cast and how to retrieve - spinning, not on a fly unfortunately. I also fly fished for several days on a reservoir in Cornwall with never a tickle - until some locals showed me the technique (slow and deep) - then I caught fish.

http://www.cavadoflyfishing.com/

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Wow, didn't realise we had so many anglers on here. As you can see by my Avatar I had/have an obsession - but Im cured, honest. I no longer spend days and nights on Windemere in the pissing rain.

Keith :confused:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The barragems (reservoirs) of Portugal are full of carp and a license is cheap. The biggest problem is finding where you buy one.
Got mine on the N125 just outside Lagos, eventually, after a wander around the Algarve trying to find where the office had moved to.
Never seen anyone fly fishing though, got me thinking - should I take my fly rod?

Edit.
You can get a license through a Multibanco (ATM) but you need to be able to read Portugese!

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Just as a matter of interest how much would it cost to start fly fishing with decent tackle.
brian

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just as a matter of interest how much would it cost to start fly fishing with decent tackle.
brian
Hi Brian, Like most hobbies the sky is the limit once you get into it. I would advise to go along to a stocking lake and have a go to see if you like it. They normally have tackle that you can loan, before you start to spend money.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Im looking for someone to give me a lesson and go through the stuff my father in law left when he passed away. I used to go coarse and sea fishing as a kid but only once went fly fishing with him. There are 2 rods a couple of reels lines flys etc just need to find someone to go through it with me and probably spend a few hours on the park learning how to cast!

David

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
brian
Well, not an easy answer because the equipment has become very sophisticated and technically advanced but I'll have a go. Top of the rang single handed rod £600.00 plus, though you can by a decent one for around £100 (you don't want top of the range to begin with anyhow). Lines, Top of the range £80.00 each. you can get a half decent one for around £20-30. You will need a floating, slow sink and fast sink line. (still water fishing ! ) or Tips that you connect to a floating line that have various sinking rates to get flies and your costs down further, about £10.. each. Nylon the bit that attaches from your flies to your leader, which attaches to your Line about £5.00 Maxima is good 4-6llb breaking strain. Flies ! you can never have enough and all different types. They range from about 50 p each up to a couple of quid. Big expense, so learn to tie your own if you get hooked on the sport.
Waders, top of the rang £600.00 decent ones around £120-150. Wet weather clothing Top of the range £400.00 decent stuff around £100.00.
Casting lessons about £80.00 for a decent lesson and then practice, practice, practice. Landing net £40-120. Tackle bag £40-140. Stillwater fishing around £15-25 per day depending on water with some being catch or release. All of the above assumes still water fly fishing in the UK. River fishing almost certainly means joining a club and paying a bit or a lot more.
Alternatively, find a mate who does it. Buy a day license and go out with him and use his equipment and get him to teach you all the basic's. That is probably the cheapest way to establish if it's for you and finally, many clubs sell on used equipment at very cheap prices. Ebay also sells a fair amount of nicked whoops I mean second hand fishing gear including flies.
Tight Lines.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We fly fish in the Faroes, brown trout in the lakes, salmon and sea trout in the estuaries mainly in July and August when they come back to the rivers. Not that there's much in the way of rivers as such, more waterfalls after a heavy downpour. My gear came second hand from the local put and take 20 years ago and has slowly been replaced at little expense apart from a decent rod I took a fancy to in the Faroes a few years back, never spent much on waders, and it shows as I keep getting wet feet. As we don't like carrying too much everything we need to fish goes in our pockets with a rucksack for food and drink.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
brian
Short answer is under £200 and perhaps half that if you shopped around. If you get "hooked" add a nought!

But there is fly fishing and there is fly fishing. I've fished in stocked waters both still and running and found it boring. There are probably big fish in there but you have to wade through a lot of stockies all the same (small) size generally.

It's like shooting reared pheasants, by standing next to a peg and shooting anything driven towards you. Done that too, great social event and a good day out - but sport? Nope.

OP
OP
Bobndebs McKay

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
I have probably spent somewhere in the Region of 500 now, but I began with a complete starter kit (Lureflash from YGA) it was around 120 and had everything I needed, then just added/replaced stuff. Strangely enough, my Fishpond Vest cost as much as my rods!! I am an Airflo Fan and you can get decent Rods for around 100 each, decent reels for around 60 with a couple of spare spools, decent Lines for around 30 each, all Airflo.
Our Kid is a big Greys Fan and he has probably spent double what I have. I would happily give casting lessons and Basic techniques if any one is ever Close by when I am at home. Farmoor (Oxford) is my local and offers excellant Sport for novices and experienced People alike, and being 40 ft deep you have to really look for the fish and local knowledge is very useful. The fish fight hard, very hard and because of the stocking policy they are in great condition, not like Stewpond Stockies!! Anyone ever Close by let me know, I am home from this Weekend (April 10th) till the end of May when Debs and I set off for Spain/Portugal. Cheers all.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Your bringing memories back ,don't know what my first fly rod cost ,my parents bought me the blanks and the other bits and off I went to the local community hall and under supervision and with a lot of help I made my first rod ,then it was learning to tie my own flies ,bought all the kit out of my paper round money , I learned by trial and error fishing the local rivers ,one day whilst loosing fly on rocks and bushes a man told me that my technique was not quite right ,he gave me a demo ,then about an hour or so of tuition ,when he was satisfied that I was getting it correct he made to leave and I thanked him ,I later found out that he was the world champion at fly casting his name was peter Anderson :)
Never liked the well stocked lakes and ponds , much prefer "hunting" my quarry on the rivers of Scotland .
If you want a bit of sport try swapping your fly for bread and taking carp off the top that can be a hoot (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back