LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Our van is 7.3 metres long and maybe not as wide as some, but with a bit of thought and luck we can a lot of the time find a sensible place to park in car parking spaces, if not we move and park further afield and bike or walk to were we want to go. If we need to stretch across two pays then we pay for two bays.
We parked in the town carpark at Matlock last weekend and in getting there early it gave us the chance to pick a sensible place to park without hopefully upsetting the locals. (y)
When we park in these situations I normally take photos of our parking position and vehicle around us in case.

View attachment 267522
Plenty of space back and front for cars to swing into bays and get past.

View attachment 267523

View attachment 267524

Walking out of the carpark we came across this van that again had parked in a space that did not encroach on other bays.

View attachment 267525

When we got back to the carpark, some berk in a tag axled Aautotrail was parked in one of the two coach bays much to the annoyance of the coach that could not park there. :mad:

We have quite a long overhang at the rear, so like @scotjimland in his Lidl's parking photo's, we hang our bum over where we can to shorten our length as we did in Liverpool when visiting the terracotta warriors exhibition ealier this year.

View attachment 267526
Most of us do

But when we can't we do what the guy in that photo did.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Careful now @Jim if the usual bickerers and I can pee higher than you posters do move across to the CrumpyGunts it will likely get a bit lonely over here. :LOL:

No it wouldn't, :D the majority here are not interested in having the last word at all costs.

99.9% of us are here for a bit of fun and information. Its a tiny few who's style of posting drag this place down, crumpygunts is waiting for them :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I always park as far away from cars in a carpark when in the MH to avoid criticism and damage.

Even when my late wife was in a wheelchair.

Once returned to the van with her and the shopping to find some prat in a car had parked next to the hab door when there were literally dozens of empty spaces surrounding us:doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
What's an FLT?

I really do not know (or care too much) but like several daily 'american' abbreviations like 'Lol', 'OMG' etc I think I must be losing the plot.
People that park and expect everyone else to pay for it. They dribble grey waste down the road, empty their toilet cassettes in hedgerows and in bird baths, steal food from food banks, syphon fuel from emergency generators and hook up to disabled peoples electric carts to charge their batteries!

Or they park and only leave footprints!

Or something in between

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Anyway like @irnbru said there's not much else to be said on this and I'm not getting dragged in again by the same faces that constantly start these threads to have a go at folk who in their eyes are not being good little motorhomers.

I'll go unfollow the thread now I'm off to camp in Tescos for the night :D

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
FWIW, last night I chatted with a neighbour who works in the Aldi store in question. The motorhome in question arrived late afternoon/early evening Wednesday and nobody from the store has even seen the occupant let alone him doing his shopping. The store security has tried to contact the occupant on several occasions yesterday but mewt with no response. We've just driven past on our way to work and the FLT is still there and still taking three spaces when he could easily park, in that same car park but only use one space. So in my book this makes him a complete and utter selfish moron and yes, a FLT!

I'm not contributing any more to this thread as its obviously a point of heated debate and I don't need that in my life right now thanks.

D.

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
There seems to be a small, hard core of people on this forum who detest anybody who does not use sites and park anywhere else other than sites and use every chance to shout and whine including using the extremely rude phrase FLT.

I can see nothing wrong with the way in which the motorhome was parked. If he had reversed back to fill the end space the danger is that a car then parks in the space next to him and he can't get out. If it had been me I would have parked at an angle with my nose angled out to make egress easier. Many people are poor parkers however taking up more than one space in their car.

I don't know how long the guy was parked there but if it is a recent picture how likely is it that the Aldi car park was full?

As other posters have said it would have been a powerful addition to the complaint of rather than a single picture taken from a strange angle that a better picture had been taken including what was mounted on the back of the camping car and especially showing the supposedly full car park. I would hazard a guess that the fact that no picture of the car park was shown that there was plenty of space but the writer of this complaint would have had nothing to whine about.

The excellent questionnaire sent out by GJH shows that every supermarket actually welcome motor homers. This is not because they are lovely people. They want us to visit and spend money and quite rightly too. It is in their interest to encourage motorhomers to park and shop.

There will always be people with nothing better to do than moan and whine about other motorhomers who don't meet their own high standards but their argument will always be undermined by using awful terms like FLT. When you have to shout out rude names if shows how weak your argument is to start with.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but in USA, many big stores / supermarkets actually encourage overnight stops by RVs. For them it means added security as someone is in attendance through the night in case of burglary.

In the UK, of course, the rules are different and we should be sensitive to the effect this sort of parking can have on everyone.

Dennis

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I don’t see anything wrong with the way the guy has parked. It looks to me as if he had taken the bays most furthest from the shop. You can clearly see he’s parked in the last spaces at a dead end.

It beats me why there’s only the one photo uploaded and not one showing how empty or busy the rest of the car park is as to where his van is parked in relation to the shop.

As for reversing up to the bushes , maybe he couldn’t. Can you see if perhaps the guy has bikes on the back, or a mobility scooter ..cos I can’t.

If my assumptions are right then I will be one of those FLT s that give vans a bad name.

In future it would be good if a full story could be shown from photos and not just one van.

If he’s unable to reverse up to a few bushes or anything else without damage perhaps he’s not up to driving the vehicle .:)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If he’s unable to reverse up to a few bushes or anything else without damage perhaps he’s not up to driving the vehicle .:)

You don’t know any more than I do about the guys driving ability, or in fact what’s on the rear of the van.

What I do know is I would not put my van into the bushes to please folk like you.

Oh and yes I consider myself to be a very good competent driver.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well my take on it is owning a motorhome does not give you any right either legal or moral to park on someone else's land.

As for public land? if there are no restrictions and no harm is being done? Why not? If there is signage to the contrary or bye laws and you ignore them, then you should expect at the very least vilification and hopefully prosecution.

I have used rest areas, services and laybys in the UK and obviously take 100% advantage of motorway aires for overnight stops when travelling, after all, this is what they are intended for.

Personally, I prefer a decent site, with city water, mains drainage, 16 amp electricity, white gravelled pitches with nice mud free astroturf non grass "grass" walking distance to a selection of Pubs with log fires and beer gardens and the Sea, but we are all different.

The difference is that some of can accept that we are all different and their is not universal right or wrong

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You don’t know any more than I do about the guys driving ability, or in fact what’s on the rear of the van.

What I do know is I would not put my van into the bushes to please folk like you.

The fact that he has lazily just pulled across multiple bays and not reversed or driven in shows a contempt for other potential car park users.
If any motorhome driver can not reverse into a space without damage I question their ability to drive it and suggest lessons should be considered.:D

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The fact that he has lazily just pulled across multiple bays and not reversed or driven in shows a contempt for other potential car park users.
If any motorhome driver can not reverse into a space without damage I question their ability to drive it and suggest lessons should be considered.:D

I’m not biting. We all have our opinions and ours are clearly different.

Warning to myself.

86158E0A-8491-438A-A6CB-5A72A5EDDBCB.jpeg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In which case he would then cause the vehicle parked opposite problems when exiting the space.
I doubt anyon large vehicle would exit from a parking space with vehicles parked either side.
We wouldn't park across multiple bays in a car would we? So why should it be right in a far larger vehicle?

I think your second line answers the question in your first line. .........you wouldn't get out.

If we need to stretch across two pays then we pay for two bays.
Don't do it in Barnstaple . All but one car park it is not allowed nor is overhanging behind. Nor towing any sort of trailer & entering.Only parking in one of three "oversize" bays where the parking enforcement send even VW short wheel base T4's.
Whilst photographing motorhomes that have paid for 2 tickets & fining them & ignoring the extra long wheel vase sprinter parked behind as "he lives here " & the various cars all over hanging.
I like to think I am always responsible - park in an area that is the most remote, not on busy times, and a max 1 hour shopping therefore I do not see an issue.
As above the MH had ,like me ,parked at the farthest point, paid for 2 tickets & was being given a ticket.

He can .What he won't be able to do is get out if someone parks next to him or anyones opposite.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I doubt anyon large vehicle would exit from a parking space with vehicles parked either side.

I think your second line answers the question in your first line. .........you wouldn't get out.

Don't do it in Barnstaple . All but one car park it is not allowed nor is overhanging behind. Nor towing any sort of trailer & entering.Only parking in one of three "oversize" bays where the parking enforcement send even VW short wheel base T4's.
Whilst photographing motorhomes that have paid for 2 tickets & fining them & ignoring the extra long wheel vase sprinter parked behind as "he lives here " & the various cars all over hanging.

As above the MH had ,like me ,parked at the farthest point, paid for 2 tickets & was being given a ticket.

He can .What he won't be able to do is get out if someone parks next to him or anyones opposite.

As I posted earlier in the thread reverse in using a bay and a bit , the way I always do so plenty of room but not at right angles across several bays :D

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Time for 'Mother & Motorhome' spaces in carparks?

:whistle:

Reactions: TCG

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
their argument will always be undermined by using awful terms like FLT. When you have to shout out rude names it shows how weak your argument is to start with

As a fully qualified, long, long time FLT, may I point out, once again, that I do not find the term in anyway awful or rude. Indeed many, many Funsters refer to me as one to my face, as part of the fun banter.

If you really want to upset me, call me a Red or a Daily Fail reader... :rofl:

JJ :cool:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If the site is the one local to the OP's workshop having stayed there I would believe Lin (the manager) as she is very accommodating however given there are only 10 - 12 pitches, and they're always full, overstaying by 5.5 hours is taking the pi** and could very well have impacted another arriving unit.

If the Aldi is the one in Madeley (I think it might be) we've shopped there and, yes, there are some bays that could accommodate a 7.6m motorhome without impacting others however there aren't many. There are a number of end to end bays however given the size of the car park and if it's always as busy as it was when we were there it would be difficult. Given that, we went to the car park opposite, which serves Lidl (we were also going shopping there) and a few other outlets, where there are significantly more double bays and a number of bays where your tailend could easily be placed over non-parking areas. Guess this car park was less than a third full. We then crossed the entrance road to Aldi on foot.

If it is Aldi Madeley this is an aerial view of the parking. The other building is a fast food outlet (KFC, from memory?
aldi madeley.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If the site is the one local to the OP's workshop having stayed there I would believe Lin (the manager) as she is very accommodating however given there are only 10 - 12 pitches, and they're always full, overstaying by 5.5 hours is taking the pi** and could very well have impacted another arriving unit.

If the Aldi is the one in Madeley (I think it might be) we've shopped there and, yes, there are some bays that could accommodate a 7.6m motorhome without impacting others however there aren't many. There are a number of end to end bays however given the size of the car park and if it's always as busy as it was when we were there it would be difficult. Given that, we went to the car park opposite, which serves Lidl (we were also going shopping there) and a few other outlets, where there are significantly more double bays and a number of bays where your tailend could easily be placed over non-parking areas. Guess this car park was less than a third full. We then crossed the entrance road to Aldi on foot.

If it is Aldi Madeley this is an aerial view of the parking. The other building is a fast food outlet (KFC, from memory?
View attachment 267593
Spot on.

D.

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
As a fully qualified, long, long time FLT, may I point out, once again, that I do not find the term in anyway awful or rude. Indeed many, many Funsters refer to me as one to my face, as part of the fun banter. :rofl:

JJ :cool:

It all depends on how the phrase is intended. As a joke or term of endearment it is fine but it changes meaning when it is used in a nasty aggressive whining way as the original poster intended it.

I joke around with my friend all the time and we use jokey and amusing names but it is the intention behind the comment or phrase which is the important thing (and yes, you can tell the difference).

Most people using it on this forum, especially when whining about what they (as experts) consider to be parking anywhere other than registered sites, use the term in an insulting and derogatory manner and it is that that I complain about.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Here's where the motorhome was parked in relation to the store \ car park.
upload_2018-11-16_16-57-36.png

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If Dave says this "FLT" is a selfish, ignorant, lazy person.

Then that is good enough for me. The "FLT" is. (y)

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
And it's still there, the staff are discussing decorating it with Christmas lights. They still haven't seen hide nor hair of the occupant.

D.
that is well taking the piss, they should clamp it and charge the twat £50 release fee, and give it to children in need

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
And it's still there, the staff are discussing decorating it with Christmas lights. They still haven't seen hide nor hair of the occupant.

D.
Jeezy peeps! There must be one hellava queue in Aldi!
Have they checked it's locked? The hab step is extended in your photo.

ps what you doing going home at this time of the day! Part-timer!!!:p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back