Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No

The claim was that he overstayed the campsite he was on by 5.5 hours

No one knows how long he was in the aldi carpark

And personally I'm curious as to how the op knew it was the same van.
Did he speak to the campsite owner before he spotted this van parked or after and happened to bring it up in conversation to him.

If motorhome fun is going to play the part of the courtroom and posters the part of judge and jury then it's only fair that the accused have a defence lawyer to ask these questions.

It can't be both ways ..

Either the car park was very busy with no other parking bays the accused could park in

Or it wasn't that busy and by the comment @GJH made above regarding aldis non enforcement of using bays unless busy then he was doing no wrong.

Really if threads are going to be constantly posted on here using the term FLT then they should be required to provide more evidence

It would be required in a court of law before tarnishing someone's good name so why not here.

Personally I'm sick of seeing them

Still never seen a single photograph proving waste dumping etc either.

It's just a popular subject to stir it in my opinion.

The comment I made above was that aldi and Lidl both provide motorhome bays throughout Europe...some you can even stay overnight.

But in the UK I'd imagine they would have to conform with the often mentioned 1960 camping and caravan act
That was my point about UK legislation

I assume both brands are owned by the same company here and elsewhere in Europe so there must be some reason why the dont provide bays here.
And i doubt it's because they haven't noticed a need or demand for them.
In that case he's doing something most of us have had to do at one time or another. I try to use sensible places around supermarkets if possible. I've used the associated Filling Station delivery area, the main store delivery area, and the recycling area, at one time or another. In every case I've checked with reception on the way in & I've not been refused yet. If I can hang the tail over grass I've done so & if I can use two spaces end to end I've done that too. But if push comes to shove or if the car park has plenty of vacant spaces I've done what the person in the photo has done. I'm spending money in the store so I'm not worried about occupying a few spaces for 20 minutes or so. Google ALDI & LIDL - there's an interesting story behind them. They aren't part of the same (or any) chain.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Like nearly every thread ever posted on here regarding the insulting derogatory flt catchword.

odd.. since that's how you describe yourself..

I never had Facebook before I left the UK in January...I.had to join it to keep in touch with the many amazing fellow flt's I met on my travels that I now keep in contact with and I have invitations to visit all over Europe.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
this is an example of how you can park sensibly..

this is me parked at Lidl in Stranraer .. 2017 .. my van is 7 mts long .. using only one bay, arse over the grass https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...23738e1a4!8m2!3d54.8972512!4d-5.0238357?hl=en

View attachment 267471 View attachment 267472 View attachment 267473
Great parking. But I bet your dribbling on the grass :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
At our local Tesco we take up two bays, being 9 mtrs we are at the furthest point from the shop. The only reason we go there is because we know there is always plenty of room. While away anywhere else Uk or Europe we google supermarkets so we can see the layout and access before getting there. And then choice the point which is the quietest and furthest from the shop because no one likes to walk to the shop, so they all try and park right next to it. Never had a problem. If ever it looked like it could be a problem, the wife would go in and do the shopping, I would stay with the camper so I could move it if needed. (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I don’t see anything wrong with the way the guy has parked. It looks to me as if he had taken the bays most furthest from the shop. You can clearly see he’s parked in the last spaces at a dead end.

It beats me why there’s only the one photo uploaded and not one showing how empty or busy the rest of the car park is as to where his van is parked in relation to the shop.

As for reversing up to the bushes , maybe he couldn’t. Can you see if perhaps the guy has bikes on the back, or a mobility scooter ..cos I can’t.

If my assumptions are right then I will be one of those FLT s that give vans a bad name.

In future it would be good if a full story could be shown from photos and not just one van.

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No

The claim was that he overstayed the campsite he was on by 5.5 hours

No one knows how long he was in the aldi carpark

And personally I'm curious as to how the op knew it was the same van.
Did he speak to the campsite owner before he spotted this van parked or after and happened to bring it up in conversation to him.

If motorhome fun is going to play the part of the courtroom and posters the part of judge and jury then it's only fair that the accused have a defence lawyer to ask these questions.

It can't be both ways ..

Either the car park was very busy with no other parking bays the accused could park in

Or it wasn't that busy and by the comment @GJH made above regarding aldis non enforcement of using bays unless busy then he was doing no wrong.

Really if threads are going to be constantly posted on here using the term FLT then they should be required to provide more evidence

It would be required in a court of law before tarnishing someone's good name so why not here.

Still never seen a single photograph proving waste dumping etc either.

It's just a popular subject to stir it in my opinion.

The comment I made above was that aldi and Lidl both provide motorhome bays throughout Europe...some you can even stay overnight.

But in the UK I'd imagine they would have to conform with the often mentioned 1960 camping and caravan act
That was my point about UK legislation

I assume both brands are owned by the same company here and elsewhere in Europe so there must be some reason why the dont provide bays here.
And i doubt it's because they haven't noticed a need or demand for them.

Aldi and Lidle, Allegedly 2 German Brothers who fell out.?

Err.??. OMG. FLT. Got to be me then?. 4 bays in Asda (Portleven). 7 Bays at the Treetops Hotel in Aberdeen. (We had a Dog and the Hotel wouldnt take her) for the Son`s wedding.

Regular use of the overflow car park at Morrisons Beverley with a Car Trailer too. (Half a Row!). (Along with 2 Waiting HGV`s!). Shit, I`ll have to mend my ways!.

Seriously?. What haspened to "live and let live". I do however draw the line at Dumping Shit in Lay-by`s, and dropping Grey water on the highway!.

When Asda Where taken over by Walmart. I asked the Manager of the Big Hull store. "Can I overnight on your car park now then". He had a bit of a Coughing Fit!.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
odd.. since that's how you describe yourself..
Yes Jim you will find a few of us tend to do that in order to lighten the mood but trust me when every motorhome that isn't pictured sitting In a dainty row on a campsite is regarded as an flt it gets a bit offensive.

There's some who use the term lightly in humour and there's other it's any excuse to just be downright insulting.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
By taking three spaces rather than one he has impeded availability to others.
There's plenty other spaces so unless it's the invisible man he's impeded no he hasnt
And by the quite you posted earlier in the thread from aldi he's doing nothing wrong.

Can't have it both ways theres no visible space in that photograph that van would fit in any single bay because not only is it longer but it's wider so even if he parked it properly in the end bay it would stick out in to the road and would either be right on the white line to one side or overhang it.

In which case he would then cause the vehicle parked opposite problems when exiting the space.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
By taking three spaces rather than one he has impeded availability to others.

Yes others that may or may not appear by the time the MH owner is in the shop.
They will just have to wait then won’t they.

I certainly won’t take the attitude I better not park here incase someone else MIGHT come along.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Personally I'm sick of people doing just what they like and I really not caring if it's seen as giving motorhomers a bad name or not.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So that means your post was pointless, again.
No it wasn't pointless you're the guy who keeps banging on about the 1960 camping act and legislation that avoids changing it.
That's probably why these stores can't offer bays for motorhomes like they do in other European countries.

But of course you've never visited these countries and just claim you don't need to in order to quote your rules and regulations.

From that pic shown that guy is doing nothing but parking to do his shopping which I'm sure Mr aldi gas no objection to because if he wasn't there would simply be 3 more empty spaces in the photo

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes others that may or may not appear by the time the MH owner is in the shop.
They will just have to wait then won’t they.

I certainly won’t take the attitude I better not park here incase someone else MIGHT come along.
We wouldn't park across multiple bays in a car would we? So why should it be right in a far larger vehicle?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Personally I'm sick of people doing just what they like and I really not caring if it's seen as giving motorhomers a bad name or not.
As I've said many times there's only a few with that crazy view

When I drive my car, bike, motorbike or any other vehicle I don't give other drivers of those vehicles a bad name so why is a motor home any different?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No it wasn't pointless you're the guy who keeps banging on about the 1960 camping act and legislation that avoids changing it.
That's probably why these stores can't offer bays for motorhomes like they do in other European countries.

But of course you've never visited these countries and just claim you don't need to in order to quote your rules and regulations.

From that pic shown that guy is doing nothing but parking to do his shopping which I'm sure Mr aldi gas no objection to because if he wasn't there would simply be 3 more empty spaces in the photo
What utter round objects.
Aldi car parks in the UK are typically small and intended for customers shopping there, not for camping.
Get over it instead of expecting to be pandered to all the time.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As I've said many times there's only a few with that crazy view

When I drive my car, bike, motorbike or any other vehicle I don't give other drivers of those vehicles a bad name so why is a motor home any different?
Only taking a leaf out of your book. As you said a while ago "Personally I'll continue doing what I do now until I'm forced not to and I really don't care if it's seen as giving motorhomers a bad name or not."

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What utter round objects.
Aldi car parks in the UK are typically small and intended for customers shopping there, not for camping.
Get over it instead of expecting to be pandered to all the time.
He isn't camping he's shopping

And the stores are the same size as in Europe

I know because I've personally been in them unlike yourself

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Would the usual bickerers and I can pee higher than you posters in this thread make a note of this url. A special forum just for you. Thanks. :D.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Our van is 7.3 metres long and maybe not as wide as some, but with a bit of thought and luck we can a lot of the time find a sensible place to park in car parking spaces, if not we move and park further afield and bike or walk to were we want to go. If we need to stretch across two pays then we pay for two bays.
We parked in the town carpark at Matlock last weekend and in getting there early it gave us the chance to pick a sensible place to park without hopefully upsetting the locals. (y)
When we park in these situations I normally take photos of our parking position and vehicle around us in case.

matlock1.jpg

Plenty of space back and front for cars to swing into bays and get past.

matlock0.jpg

matlock2.jpg

Walking out of the carpark we came across this van that again had parked in a space that did not encroach on other bays.

matlock3.jpg

When we got back to the carpark, some berk in a tag axled Aautotrail was parked in one of the two coach bays much to the annoyance of the coach that could not park there. :mad:

We have quite a long overhang at the rear, so like @scotjimland in his Lidl's parking photo's, we hang our bum over where we can to shorten our length as we did in Liverpool when visiting the terracotta warriors exhibition ealier this year.

liverpool-parking.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Only taking a leaf out of your book. As you said a while ago "Personally I'll continue doing what I do now until I'm forced not to and I really don't care if it's seen as giving motorhomers a bad name or not."

Yes that was in answer to another one of your posts saying we were giving motorhomers a bad name

I hate to tell you this but go back this thread and count how many have said they have parked like this in a supermarket

You'll find it's more than have said they don't in which case most motorhomers are giving you a bad name apparently

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
And your evidence is? After all, you were the one who said (above) "threads ................. should be required to provide more evidence"
And where's your evidence to prove he was camping ?
Or is it now down to the innocent to prove themselves innocent these days

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
And your evidence is? After all, you were the one who said (above) "threads ................. should be required to provide more evidence"
If this was a court of law

The defence lawyer would be asking some very interesting questions

1) where's the photos showing the busy carpark.

2) where's the proof the camper left a campsite 5.5 hours late
3) did the op speak to the campsite owner then go looking for the van to post a picture
Or did he take this picture and by chance meet the campsite owner and show him the disgrace of a man doing his shopping and compare notes as to whether it was the same van.
Or was the campsite owner also in Aldi
4) did the op check with aldi if they objected to the camper van being parked there.

And many more because frankly I find the whole thing a bit sensationalist lets have a go at a motor home not in a campsite or parking space

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
the recommended parking bay size in the UK is 2.4 wide x 4.8m long. Assuming one does need to grocery shop at some point with a 7.4m x 2.35m (excluding wing mirrors) motorhome the maths are quite simple - you cannot park in one bay. Even if the back were to overhang the kerb is would not fit. I like to think I am always responsible - park in an area that is the most remote, not on busy times, and a max 1 hour shopping therefore I do not see an issue.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We wouldn't park across multiple bays in a car would we? So why should it be right in a far larger vehicle?
That has to be the craziest response ever.

The largest volume of shoppers to aldi will go in a car so the bays accommodate those.
But I can guarantee you sit in any supermarket for 24 hours and take note of the different vehicles visiting it and around lunchtime etc you will get works vans , lorries , vans and trailers etc etc and they will likely all have to park outwith bays because they don't fit.
They aren't doing it to be selfish, lazy etc ( like a car parking accross 2 bays would be ) they are doing it because they have no choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back