Floor Problem! (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
I have a double floor so cannot see from underneath what is happening. I have a soft area of floor in front of kitchen sink, I have removed floor covering all the ply looks good and dry, the soft area is a section along where two sheets of ply meet, about 2ft long coming away from the sink and about 1ft wide. Now I am no diy expert so was wondering if I could just cut this section out and replace it.
My first prom would be what is under this part of floor? What if I cut through a joist? and (I am sure you will come up with other problems) how would I support the new piece of flooring in such a high traffic area. All advice will be GREATLY received.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Classic floor delamination. Sika-Flex & look up instructions on line. I cant quite remember which Sika-Flex you'll need.

Robert.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you use a 2 part resin and inject it into multiple holes drilled in the plywood. once set the ply then bonds back to the insulation and becomes firm again. look for delamination repair kits

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
you use a 2 part resin and inject it into multiple holes drilled in the plywood. once set the ply then bonds back to the insulation and becomes firm again. look for delamination repair kits

Most double floor vans have a plain plywood floor.
The 'basement' floor is the insulated sandwich one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Most double floor vans have a plain plywood floor.
The 'basement' floor is the insulated sandwich one.
Not doubting you but........In which case the op would have gone through the floor by now if its that soft and springy.....this sounds like a laminated floor.

TB1 is correct....to treat delamination require a two part apoxy resin, a 5mm drill bit and drill, a lot of 5mm wood dowels and the patience of a saint.

You drill a grid of holes in the floor, just deep enough to go through the top covering and not into the foam core, then inject resin into each hole in turn.
the holes should be around 50mm apart in all directions and overlap onto good floor.

Inject resin until it ouzes back out the hole then tap in a wooden dowel and clean off any excess resin. ( once its cured you wont get it off)
Where its delaminated will take a LOT of resin as its filling the void not just the holes.
repeat for all holes then place plastic film on the floor and stand a heavy flat object on the floor.
ideally a stack of house bricks but heavy books etc would do.
leave overnight to fully cure.

Same procedure applies to wall delamination but drill from inside right through the foam core without puncturing the outer skin.
you need to park next to a wall as the wall supports the wooden props needed to push the outer skin back in place.

OP
OP
Goldenoldies
May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Thanks for all the advice. Cant find out if top flooring just ply (Lunar will not talk about it) so will go along lines it is insulated.
I have seen a lot about the green poly one shot adhesive, is this just as good as the two part resin. You use it the same but it is ready mixed.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the green poly is polyurethane based, so although it stops the delamination it remains semi flexible unlike 2 part resin. slightly more user friendly, but from my experience not quite as permanent or as good a fix
both do the job though

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wonder if it's nothing to do with delamination at all but that you've had a water leak which has caused the area to become soft ... check the water pipes etc first before you start any major surgery!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back