LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Our new Hymer has six floor hatches one has failed completely two are creaking badly and the others flex more than they should I have put a warranty claim in as the first failed after only a month.
We had our Rapids 5 years and never had any problems with them so I would say 100% build quality issue.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We had that problem with one floor hatch on our Carthago.
It was made up of a number of layers and the bottom one had a join in the centre which weakened it.
It was replaced under warranty and has been fine since.

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not heard of it happening on Hymers before but I do worry about our big one just inside the door.
It is a known problem on Carthago Chic's, the Carthago Club recommendation is to fit a kitcken cabinet leg under the centre of the Hatch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We have one in the Burnster, it's failed because they have used plastic hinges o_O

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Mine were flexing and hymer in germany fixed under warranty. They said glue was drying too quickly.
I would get onto lowdhams because if it breaks while you're walking on it could be dangerous.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Mine were flexing and hymer in germany fixed under warranty. They said glue was drying too quickly.
I would get onto lowdhams because if it breaks while you're walking on it could be dangerous.
Our big one just inside the had door is 20" deep, I've fallen down when I've had the hatch out when working on the van.:(

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Not heard of it happening on Hymers before but I do worry about our big one just inside the door.
It is a known problem on Carthago Chic's, the Carthago Club recommendation is to fit a kitcken cabinet leg under the centre of the Hatch.

It’s surprised me that they reduce the strength of the lids by machining a lap joint all around the edge, reducing their thickness by half. I’d provide better support around the edges, then no need for a prop in the middle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's a new feature to let the damp drain out of the newest models. :)
Well it's got to go somewhere with no timber in walls to rot and PU foam which water doesn't stand a chance at getting through and a GRP under floor. (y)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Well it's got to go somewhere with no timber in walls to rot and PU foam which water doesn't stand a chance at getting through and a GRP under floor. (y)
Yes, but the floor itself is wood with a covering on Lenny

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
image.jpg
The floor hatches have a ply top under the vynil then polystyrean with a ply edging then a thin ply base at the bottom.
The ply surround tends to split hence losing all strength

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
View attachment 190251 The floor hatches have a ply top under the vynil then polystyrean with a ply edging then a thin ply base at the bottom.
The ply surround tends to split hence losing all strength
Trying to save weight with polystyrene but it has no structural strength of its own a PU would have been loads better, I guess the whole floor is like that so hopefully they dont start delaminating and going soft in a few years time.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Trying to save weight with polystyrene but it has no structural strength of its own a PU would have been loads better, I guess the whole floor is like that so hopefully they dont start delaminating and going soft in a few years time.

Martin
The floor foam is PU same as the walls.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
What's the point of a floor made in wood when they have eliminated wood in the walls and ceiling!

Sounds pretty poor to me for the money they want!

Water from underneath or from within the motorhome are going to create problems with a wooden floor plus delamination issues!

The more I hear the more disappointed I get with what I had hoped to be was a future purchase at great expense!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What's the point of a floor made in wood when they have eliminated wood in the walls and ceiling!

Sounds pretty poor to me for the money they want!

Water from underneath or from within the motorhome are going to create problems with a wooden floor plus delamination issues!

The more I hear the more disappointed I get with what I had hoped to be was a future purchase at great expense!
Thats just the inside or habitation floor the road facing floor is fibreglass or similar, our N+B is the same ply in the habitation and fibreglass or alloy (I should know) on the road floor.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The road floor, but what about the habitation floor? is that PU as well and if so why put polystyrene in the floor hatches.

Martin
My hab floor is PU so I assume the hatches are as well.
I'm certainly not going to break one apart to find out.:D

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hymer had to up their game, I,m not sure which year they started to use a decent underfloor when it is exposed to the outside elements, Lenny HB will probably know, 2011, 2012 ish.
Before this they used 2 bit cheapo timber with a 2 bit cheapo black goo painted on, how crap.

You were meant to check the floor every year and make good any damage/repaint with the black goo, how many people in reality did that, only enthusiasts, your average Hymer owner NO. I used to ask people when contacting before viewing''How is the floor from the rear wheels backwards''. ''Perfect'' was the reply usually, until I showed them that is, they hadn't a clue. Obviously the extent of the rot depended on location, climate, how much it was driven in heavy rain, if the owner ever looked underneath etc.

I have lost count of the number I have looked and felt under, especially from the rear wheels back, that have been rotten, my thumb and finger have gone through loads, water streaming down my sleeves.

They should have done the same as N+B and used a grp underfloor from the word off, instead of waiting all these years.

Really put me off, if you are looking for a used, older A class then N+B much better built.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think the first one with the GRP floor was the first Fiat based Exsis 2011.
The original floors were a skin of marine ply as are the internal walls. My 2008 Hymer had PU foam in the floor and after 6 years as good as new. I did fit rear mudflaps, latest vans have mudflaps.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Not as much as in a Burnster.:giggle:
I think you will find there exactly the same construction Lenny unless you have the cheaper version of Hymer (y), no wood apart from the hab floor, what else do you think they could they make that out off ;)(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think you will find there exactly the same construction Lenny unless you have the cheaper version of Hymer (y), no wood apart from the hab floor, what else do you think they could they make that out off ;)(y)
My internal skin, walls and roof are aluminium.:LOL::p

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
My internal skin, walls and roof are aluminium.:LOL::p
I think ours is GRP underfloor and roof with aluminium side walls, but not the hab floor which is wood:LOL::p, to be fair don't think there's any other material they could use

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think ours is GRP underfloor and roof with aluminium side walls, but not the hab floor which is wood:LOL::p, to be fair don't think there's any other material they could use
Are your internal walls aluminium Hymer only started producing vans like that with the DL in July 2016.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
My hab floor is PU so I assume the hatches are as well.
I'm certainly not going to break one apart to find out.:D
Well Lenny you were parked next to s at Newbury and the internal filling of our new Hymer floor hatches is 100% polystyrene and not pu but that is not to say that other models are the same.?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Are your internal walls aluminium Hymer only started producing vans like that with the DL in July 2016.
When you purchase a premium brand like Burnster it's standard from an innovative manufacturer ;)
When you purchase a mid range van like the Hymer you can expect the following, on a dealers forecourt brand new ;)(y)
IMG_7086.JPG

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well Lenny you were parked next to s at Newbury and the internal filling of our new Hymer floor hatches is 100% polystyrene and not pu but that is not to say that other models are the same.?
Whats in the floor then is it different to the hatches? I would have thought they would use the same material for both, doesn't make sence to to use a weaker material for an item under more stress.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When you purchase a premium brand like Burnster it's standard from an innovative manufacturer ;)
When you purchase a mid range van like the Hymer you can expect the following ;)(y)
View attachment 190436
You being cheaky I see Burnster as the cheaper option. :LOL:
With all that black stuff looks like you have had some leaks.:D2:p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back