Floor delamination (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
Our 2015 Viseo has a large air bubble appearing under the floor covering. The dealer sought advice from Burstner and they have sent a worksheet to replace the floor covering, which means removing all the furniture! A rather costly job as the van is out of warranty. :(

Reading the Burstner group on Facebook it is apparent that there may be an issue with floor delamination on some Burstners. One poster said that they have been in correspondence with Camper UK regarding the delaminating floor problem and were told that Camper UK are aware of at least 10 vans with the same problem. It doesn't seem to be just one particular model (the poster's van is a 2 year old Ixeo time).

Anybody heard/know anything about this?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Binky, I have not heard of this as a specific Burstner problem but floor delimitation can affect any van with a plywood floor really, If it was my van I would be looking for the most cost effective solution which might involve injecting an epoxy resin to stabilise the floor this does involve some holes though so it depends on what floor covering you have down if any.

Good luck.

Martin

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We successfully fixed the delaminating floor in our RV using the green epoxy fluid. Quite a satisfying job to, solid as a rock after a couple of hours work. Of course you have to drill the floor and plug it with dowels afterwards so you need a good floor covering to hide it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I once had a caravan with floor delaminating. I drilled from below, injected resin and quickly inserted a dowl to plug the hole. Then placed weights above the floor until all set. It was very messy to do, but no sign from above.
On part exch the salesman really did jump up and down but floor held firm.
Cant remember name of resin but it is important to get one compatible with your type of insulation and ply cover.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its a relatively easy diy job to repair minor floor delamination. then have a new vinyl floor laid on top

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
A relatively easy job BUT time consuming to do it.if you can drill holes then you can fix it yourself. I would be surprised if there isnt a 'how to do it' on yutube. I would def do it from the top rather than underneath, just be careful how far you drill into the floor !

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A relatively easy job BUT time consuming to do it.if you can drill holes then you can fix it yourself. I would be surprised if there isnt a 'how to do it' on yutube. I would def do it from the top rather than underneath, just be careful how far you drill into the floor !
that is very simple to achieve. put the drill bit in the drill and measure chuck to tip. find a piece of plastic pipe bigger than the bit and cut off 8mm less than the drill length. hold the tube over the drill bit as you drill all the holes exactly 8mm deep

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Went in a brand new Hymer at the show on Wednesday and nearly went through the floor! One of the storage hatch lids made from the same material as the floor seemed to have weakened possibly by delamination to the point that it had lost its strength.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Surely if this is a manufacturing fault they cannot expect you to pay for it ...

OP
OP
Binky
Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
It is interesting that it is newer vans that are suffering and maybe Burstner are worried as the rectification costs may be horrendous (somebody is reporting an 18 plate van that has a flooring problem). Is this another example of the drive to reduce weight and consequently reducing quality? In any case, it's worth advertising just in case this becomes identified as a manufacturing fault as, as Minxy Girl states, the customer surely cannot be expected to pay for it.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
that is very simple to achieve. put the drill bit in the drill and measure chuck to tip. find a piece of plastic pipe bigger than the bit and cut off 8mm less than the drill length. hold the tube over the drill bit as you drill all the holes exactly 8mm deep

Or if you have the time and tools make a drill bit the right length .... but your suggestion seems easier. The easiest solution though us just to use the gadget that comes with some drills and set it to the depth you want to drill.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I remember back to doing a couple of conversions and querying whether lightweight ply was strong enough for seats or beds. I had 2 similar size scrap pieces of 9mm, one lightweight the other marine ply. both were very strong, but when placed at an angle against a wall and stamped on, the lightweight one splintered and the heavier marine ply didnt.
In my opinion, from the rough testing, lightweight ply is not suited to anything structural
flooring should use phenollic resin impregnated ply, which is waterproof and super strong. however converters use much cheaper and lighter ply to save weight and costs

steelman

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2012
I had the same problem with our 2015 Burstner Nexxo T740, large bubble under floor covering in kitchen area. Dealer has fitted hatch in floor, under warranty.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
There may have been an issue with the flooring EVEN if it was the phenolic resun type. It might be a batch errror or the way it has been stored in the factory. Irrespective of that, i wonder if a 'class action' type process might get them to accept responsibility fir a product that may not be fit for purpose, IF they are at fault of course

Brian Siddell

Free Member
Apr 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Grand panorama i920 g
Exp
Since 2009
I have the same issue with a Burstner Grand Panorama in front of the cooker area, it's on a 64 plate. Someone posted about they got a hatch fitted under warranty.
I was just wondering if you were happy with the outcome?

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Big difference in how the 2 part delamination kit works compared to the single part glue works - the 2 part resin flows where needed and goes off but a lot more expensive and wasteful - the single part glue expands so could cause more problems on expansion it could lift the floor even more

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
All of the answers so far seem to assume that the floor is structural plywood which has delaminated. I supect that it could be a sandwich construction floor with only a thin layer of ply on the top. The delamination will probably be between the insulation filling and either the top or bottom skin.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
:Eeek:
Went in a brand new Hymer at the show on Wednesday and nearly went through the floor! One of the storage hatch lids made from the same material as the floor seemed to have weakened possibly by delamination to the point that it had lost its strength.
HYMER! :Eeek:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When this issue first arose in caravans (after no reports prior) one manufacturer explained that they were now unable to use the ideal adhesive because of environmental / health issues and substitutes weren't as effective. Initially the adhesive between the top layer and the insulation sandwich filling fails. The reduction in strength of the floor eventually causes the insulation to compress - normally where footfall is heaviest - and the floor becomes "springy". If it's treated before the plywood stretches and becomes bulged no weights to hold the floor flat are needed. If, as is usually the case, bulges have appeared a couple of planks and a few house bricks are needed. It isn't necessary to do anything under furniture as no-one stands there. I did a couple of caravans years ago and, using 2 part pourable epoxy from above, the cure was permanent.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I thought that the latest sandwich construction does not use glue between the insulation and covering layers. Instead the expanding insulation is injected between the layers and adheres to them.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes, and I own a a hymer so was a bit worried!
In all honesty this should not happen with a vehicle of this quality. Makes you wonder how much they have reduced quality but not price. Although I don't own a high value vehicle the ones I saw at the Newbury show last year didn't inspire me with confidence compared with the older models which were on show. I know which ones I would go for if I was in the market for an upgrade.

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
ixeo time 590
I have the same issue with a Burstner Grand Panorama in front of the cooker area, it's on a 64 plate. Someone posted about they got a hatch fitted under warranty.
I was just wondering if you were happy with the outcome?
What has your outcome of your delamination

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back