Flood procedure at Keswick and Derwent Water C&CC sites. (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We've booked on Derwent Water C&CC site in December and I believe it floods after heavy rain.
Has anyone got first hand experience of this and if so what's the normal procedure?

Jun 28, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Select Spirit
Exp
Newbie (2020)
I got a rather rude awakening in the early hours last year year at Keswick CMC they moved us into a local Budgens supermarket car park, i did wonder what the police would do if you had drunk a skin full and then had to drive the van on police advice!

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I think it happened about 10 days ago - people were moved out about 4 am, not sure if it was the whole site or just some parts. People get moved to Booths car park, I believe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
We got a mobile phone call on our way there, site evacuating. Rerouted to another site. Never got there!

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
It happened to us Tom many years ago we got moved to a local school car park, it was late afternoon,
We then moved to Carnforth for T&T wk/end,
Eric

Deleted User
A problem at that time of the year, just returned from NT site at Wasdale where we were trapped by rising Lake levels flooding the lakeside road.
Had to stay an additional night foc, wouldn't stop me going back but be prepaired.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Last time we went we had a brilliant pitch right next to the lake, but it rained all the time and one morning the lake was only a couple of feet from the back of our Fiver and the wardens were moving some vans so we decided to go, the next day site was evacuated

Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Over 30yrs and still learning
I have worked on both Derwent Water and Keswick C&CC sites.
The Derwent Water site is at the top alongside the road and doesn't usually flood.
The Keswick site is down at the waters edge below the rugby club, and it is this site that floods.
Staff used to transfer to Derwent Water during times of flooding.

Jan 20, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
We stayed at Keswick just 2 rows back from the lakeside last year in August. It started to rain quite hard and the staff phoned us to say there was a possibility of flooding that night so advised us not to drink alcohol that evening in case we had to evacuate. We didn't need to in the end, it was really quite interesting to watch and the wardens were very carefully observing.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
The car park at Booths supermarket is generally safe from the rising water and is only minutes away. They are well practiced at getting everyone safe. When you look back and see the rugby pitch flooded, you realise how quickly it all happens. We were once sent up to the co op car park, there was a lot of caravans manouvering and the police felt it was better for the motorhomes. Somebody will drive your van the short distance to Booths.

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
I was at the CCC Braithwaite Village site in October, heavy rain. Wardens did a visit to all on-site to advise the Enviro Agency had issued a flood warning. This was early evening. Advised if I wanted to leave I would have a refund, if I stayed then I should be ready to leave and in the event of flooding all the barriers would be open for unrestricted departure from all routes into the site. Some people left.
I stayed but put my van ready for quick getaway = unplug EHU and drive. It did not flood.
Suggest you just watch the weather forecast, rivers reach peak level several hours after the rain stops
I think you will be fine at the Derwent water site. It’s at a higher level.
Have a good trip.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we'll be ok and if not we can soon move.

Reactions: f6c

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Both Keswick and Derwent water flooded recently. It’s unusual for Derwent water to flood. We had a booking for Derwent water, rescheduled for feb now. however they’ve cleaned up etc and we have a 3 day booking from 30 Nov. Tried To extend through to weekend at Derwent and Keswick, both fully booked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back