Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I had a harrowing encounter with 2 of my frogs today

We have 2 submersible pumps, I think called armadillo, they look like them anyway, covered in small holes no bigger than 8mm

Lifted pumps out today for cleaning, on each pump one frog had stuck its foot and leg through one of the holes, no idea how its foot looks too big, the leg certainly does, but then got stuck firmly, both the trapped legs swollen to many times the size of the holes

Now I am one of the softest, gently giants you will come across, cry at anything, so no idea quite how I did what I did, but decided killing them was cruel and didn't really know how to do it, so got a hammer and 15mm chisel and cut off the stuck leg

They both sort of crawled back into the pond, were still very much alive and glaring at me several hours later

I hope I have done the right thing, must be better than battering them with a spade, which I would have hated almost as much as what I did

We have had the same pumps for 10 years never happened before, not really sure what to do, will hate it if it happens again, so I guess that really is my answer, 2 new pumps to be ordered

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Oh blimey @DavidG58 what a horrid decision to have to make, poor you, but brave to do what you felt was right. I did a bit of googling and this might help - it seems they should probably survive the operation!
Broken Link Removed
Can you cover the pumps with mesh?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
since we moved in ive been emptying
and removing two ponds
1 with two goldfish
1 with 32 live & 3 dead

pond is now 12" above the hole
draining buddy(dog) went out this morning
started barking at the empty pond
went and found this fella looking for a friend
going for a walk later frog in a bucket
to the local pond
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: CWH
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oh blimey @DavidG58 what a horrid decision to have to make, poor you, but brave to do what you felt was right. I did a bit of googling and this might help - it seems they should probably survive the operation!
Broken Link Removed
Can you cover the pumps with mesh?

Thanks for the link, I am going to get a couple of onion sacks from our local fruit and veg shop this morning, will cover whole pump with those, they will probably block up more quickly, but it might even make cleaning a little easier if more regular

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
This is one of the chaps that lives in the OTHER pond, in the back garden. He likes sunbathing on the slate by the pond but doesn't often stay around long enough to have his portrait taken. (Could be 'her'...)
back pond.JPG

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Poop, Poop! I think that's a toad. Good photography! Check for spawn in long strings tomorrow or the day after - assuming he finds a Mrs Toad.
Haven't seen any evidence of procreation...
I was quite chuffed with the pic, considering it was pitch black, I had to find the toad by torch then switch it off, hope the camera was still pointing in the right direction, & more by luck than anything else there he was!

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you have an octopus in your pond. :) Very popular in Galicia. But if it is a frog this might give inspiration: Broken Link Removed :reel:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Blimey that's not right. Taddies shouldn't be even a twinkle in Froggies eyes yet. I usually wait until the frogs have spawned, take the spawn out and place in large squashy buckets whilst I clean the pond and then rear the taddies on to froglets before I release them in the marshy area of the pond. When you clean the pond you will doubtless find a multitude of Frogs but just put em in a bucket and let em go when the pond has been cleaned. The reason I rear the taddies into Frogs is because the spawn and taddies get eaten by my fish if I put them back in after cleaning the pond out. I would delay cleaning the pond until mid-late March when the Frogs or Toads have all spawned. Do your bit for the wildlife environment. If you decide to rear the taddies, feed em on small bits of cat or dog food, clean the water every week and don't put them in full sun. I did cook a batch one warm spring !!
our frogs spawn around Christmas.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I had a harrowing encounter with 2 of my frogs today

Now I am one of the softest, gently giants you will come across, cry at anything, so no idea quite how I did what I did, but decided killing them was cruel and didn't really know how to do it, so got a hammer and 15mm chisel and cut off the stuck leg

They both sort of crawled back into the pond, were still very much alive and glaring at me several hours later
I'd sleep with one eye open.:)

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The pond eventually got a make-over today. When it was lifted, these 3 were sitting underneath

frog 1.JPG frog 2.JPG toad 2.JPG

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
great stuff. We have 3 large buckets of tadpoles at the moment. I take the frog spawn out of my pond to stop the fish from eating it. Rear the tadpoles on to mini frogs and then release them. The tadpoles like cat food and fish pellets. I am also re-populating two local ponds and so far have had at least three successful breeding seasons. Must be mad but I get a kick out of it.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Must be mad but I get a kick out of it.
I know; I've been pottering around the 2 ponds all day taking endless pics of the various sizes of frogs & toads & being just SO proud of 'em! (I don't feed them, just try to protect them from assorted deaths by eg strimmer, foot, cat and seagull.)

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I know; I've been pottering around the 2 ponds all day taking endless pics of the various sizes of frogs & toads & being just SO proud of 'em! (I don't feed them, just try to protect them from assorted deaths by eg strimmer, foot, cat and seagull.)

And possible French neighbors,hummm:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back