flightradar24 (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
FR24 is a great app and it most tracks civilian air traffic, unless a military plane is squawking 7700 (emergency). Most military show up on ADS-B unless they are going 'secret squirrel'. People will follow air traffic if it is squawking 7700 (emergency) like wasps to a jam pot. It is quite surprising the number of planes that declare an emergency, it is quite common.

Hope that helps

Signed
A Nerd.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I caught a Amman to Chigago flight earlier being diverted to Paris. Well it was due to head to Paris but it was doing circles central France when I tuned in.

That's as far as my nosiness got me in that one. No idea what issue they had.

I did see a flight from Germany to the US turned back over Scotland as ground staff at departure airport found chunks of rubber on the runway and traced it to that flight.

They headed home to do a fly by so staff could eye the landing gear before landing safely in frankfurt. Bugger for the passengers though I bet.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Yes but from the airline point of view it’s much easier ( read cheaper) to do maintenance at
Your home base than another airfield a continent away,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
You may already be following., but if not Google "FlyZolo" .. 19 year old girl who recently qualified is going for the record for youngest round the world solo in a single engine craft.
Hadn't heard about that, thanks. The reg is OM-S443 to look it up on FR24. She took an interesting route around/through Greenland - all the way around the coast, then 1300km across the Labrador Sea to Goose Bay, which is close to max range, even without a headwind. Most small aircraft seem go straight over the top and then do a short 900km crossing to Iqaluit, but she presumably wanted to avoid the icesheet. Eastern Russia will also be interesting. It's apparently difficult to get Avgas there, but the Rotax engine only needs premium motor fuel. Even so, it has to be less than 3 weeks old, which could be a problem.

If you get really bored, the British Antarctic Survey Twin Otters should be heading off from Calgary to the Falklands over the next few days, to get the southern summer. Down through the US, across the Gulf of Mexico, down to Costa Rica, hop across to Ecuador, down the west coast of South America to Punta Arenas, then around Cape Horn to the Falklands. Should be 2 or 3 aircraft, takes about 5 days, VP-FAZ, VP-FBB, and VP-FBC. The easiest way to find them is to filter on aircrft type as 'DHC6'.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hadn't heard about that, thanks. The reg is OM-S443 to look it up on FR24. She took an interesting route around/through Greenland - all the way around the coast, then 1300km across the Labrador Sea to Goose Bay, which is close to max range, even without a headwind. Most small aircraft seem go straight over the top and then do a short 900km crossing to Iqaluit, but she presumably wanted to avoid the icesheet. Eastern Russia will also be interesting. It's apparently difficult to get Avgas there, but the Rotax engine only needs premium motor fuel. Even so, it has to be less than 3 weeks old, which could be a problem.

If you get really bored, the British Antarctic Survey Twin Otters should be heading off from Calgary to the Falklands over the next few days, to get the southern summer. Down through the US, across the Gulf of Mexico, down to Costa Rica, hop across to Ecuador, down the west coast of South America to Punta Arenas, then around Cape Horn to the Falklands. Should be 2 or 3 aircraft, takes about 5 days, VP-FAZ, VP-FBB, and VP-FBC. The easiest way to find them is to filter on aircrft type as 'DHC6'.
We were lucky enough to meet Zara a few weeks ago at Popham when she flew in with a similar Shark aircraft. She had been at school in Winchester and did her flying training at Popham although now lives in Belgium.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Over 9000 people following the flight with the boss of Huawei who has been released from jail in Vancouver. Seems the flight took a strange path to avoid American airspace.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Just spotted a Eurofighter Typhoon out of RAF Coningsby which had been flying big loops across England flying out over the North Sea and meeting up with a RAF Airbus KC2 tanker. They're either performing air to air refuelling (well there is a 'shortage') or they're mating 🤪 :giggler:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Just spotted a Eurofighter Typhoon out of RAF Coningsby which had been flying big loops across England flying out over the North Sea and meeting up with a RAF Airbus KC2 tanker. They're either performing air to air refuelling (well there is a 'shortage') or they're mating 🤪 :giggler:
Thanks for that not seen that before!

Cheers James

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Ten Red Arrows over the house at low level next to Peterborough a few days ago and a Lancaster rolling round in a big circuit this afternoon.

I used to Fly F3J model gliders, a lot of these gliders including mine were made with carbon fibre in them with a wingspan of 3meters, one day we were flying a competition and all got away very well into good thermals and ending up specks in the sky when a squadron of Red Arrows came screaming across underneath all of us, I still think to this day what if they had collided with one of the gliders, I don't think a 3Mtr composite glider would have done a lot of good to a jet engine.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Talking aviation a twin engined WW2 RAF aircraft with D day stripped markings flew over Shrewsbury this afternoon, it was about the size of a Dakota, could have been a Blenheim or Beufighter, any ideas.
Wouldn't have been the Blenheim as the only one flying in the UK doesn't have invasion stripes. There are no Beaufighters flying presently.
Most likely to be the BBMF's Dakota, transiting to RAF Cosford where it did a flypast on the date in question.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I used to Fly F3J model gliders, a lot of these gliders including mine were made with carbon fibre in them with a wingspan of 3meters, one day we were flying a competition and all got away very well into good thermals and ending up specks in the sky when a squadron of Red Arrows came screaming across underneath all of us, I still think to this day what if they had collided with one of the gliders, I don't think a 3Mtr composite glider would have done a lot of good to a jet engine.
Wouldn't have done the pilot much good either... I was at Duxford a couple of years ago when the Red Arrows display had to be aborted because some muppet in a microlight encroached into the display space. Clearly needed a reminder on the need to consult NOTAMs!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Talking aviation a twin engined WW2 RAF aircraft with D day stripped markings flew over Shrewsbury this afternoon, it was about the size of a Dakota, could have been a Blenheim or Beufighter, any ideas.
Might have been this Avro Anson with its D Day makeover ?
Screenshot_2021-09-27-13-55-37.png

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The Avro is not a bad shout, it went over high so only got the silhouette to go by.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Yes I have flown in her as well, based at Bodmin with Peter white I believe ,
Have a picture of both aircraft together at Bodmin and both were at the LAA rally this year,

Wadski

Free Member
Dec 1, 2020
Oakham
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Yes I have flown in her as well, based at Bodmin with Peter white I believe ,
Have a picture of both aircraft together at Bodmin and both were at the LAA rally this year,
First aircraft share for me was G-IVOR back in 2003, Pete White is a lovely chap. I was based at Bodmin from 2003 to 2010 (I instructed there) so may have even met you too.
Not seen Pete for many years though, glad to hear he was at Sywell 👍

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Dem Bones, dem bones………..
Lots of rumours that the 'merkins' are sending a couple of B1 bombers (AKA Bone) over to RAF Fairford.
Lots of support aircraft arriving with kit and spares according to the spotter geeks.

Richard.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Lots of rumours that the 'merkins' are sending a couple of B1 bombers (AKA Bone) over to RAF Fairford.
Lots of support aircraft arriving with kit and spares according to the spotter geeks.
Probably bringing jerrycans of fuel for the station commander's car.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Dem Bones, dem bones………..

Richard.
When - would like see that! (On fr24!)

Cheers James

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I live not far from the 'Mach Loop' where the air forces practice low flying, just had an USAF F15 Eagle fly overhead.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
When - would like see that! (On fr24!)

Cheers James
Don’t think you’ll have any luck seeing the B1's pop up on Fr24 but there’s a chance some of the transports might appear.
You need to try something like Freedar.uk or 360radar that shows military aircraft but even then there’s no guarantee.
They don’t like to broadcast their location unless they have to.

Richard.

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
5 Typhoons so far out of Conningsby
- 1 nr Hull heading North
- 2 heading East to the North Sea
- 1 flying down the A1 in Cambs
- another heading East over Kings Lynn

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
This keeps flying over us at White Water Park CAMC site.
20211008_132656.jpg
Pilot training??

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I've just seen a couple of large and high planes going east west over Bradford but nothing on fr24???🤔🤔🤔

Not sure what they are need some bins!!!

Cheers James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back