LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
strange one that I have never come across so after some supportive advice ingenious ideas regarding addressing the issue.

I have in my van two windows where the little tiny plastic bung has come off. At some point in two of the windows, small insects have managed to get in there and die. This has left about 15 or 20 horrible looking insects that it looks like looking through a microscope at.

Obviously I need to remove them. The windows are of course bonded double glazed seitz windows, the only way in is by the two little plugs that can be removed.

The only idea's I have so far is to use an extended pipe cleaner to try and push in to sort of hoik them back out. or to do a wash and rinse by filling the window with water, swilling it and then pouring it out by the two little plug exits and hoping the flies come with it. Obviously this will then need to dry out but I can't see any reason why it wont?

anyone wish to comment on my idea and see any flaws with it, I am all ears or come up with any other solution.

thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you wet the interior I think it will leave marks when/if it ever dries out.

You could try removing the window and then shake the corpses down to one of the holes, attach a vacuum cleaner hose and see if you can suck them out.

I suspect compressed air might also work - but by separating the two bits of plastic due to the of internal air pressure. :)

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
This appeared below in the 'similar threads' bit, might help...

Pete

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
This appeared below in the 'similar threads' bit, might help...

Pete
yes, just saw that. bertiebasset only seemed mildly successful. Looking at the vacuum cleaner and extended pipe cleaner option and some fly fishing.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
If you have access to a fine catheter (central line type) you could try sucking them out with a 50ml syringe.
good idea, being a registered nurse looking after a shed load of nursing homes, I have all those things, never thought of that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Vacume cleaner with crevice tool to try and suck them out

If you have access to a fine catheter (central line type) you could try sucking them out with a 50ml syringe.
If more oomph is required, maybe tape the catheter to the vacuum cleaner nozzle in some way.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
strange one that I have never come across so after some supportive advice ingenious ideas regarding addressing the issue.

I have in my van two windows where the little tiny plastic bung has come off. At some point in two of the windows, small insects have managed to get in there and die. This has left about 15 or 20 horrible looking insects that it looks like looking through a microscope at.

Obviously I need to remove them. The windows are of course bonded double glazed seitz windows, the only way in is by the two little plugs that can be removed.

The only idea's I have so far is to use an extended pipe cleaner to try and push in to sort of hoik them back out. or to do a wash and rinse by filling the window with water, swilling it and then pouring it out by the two little plug exits and hoping the flies come with it. Obviously this will then need to dry out but I can't see any reason why it wont?

anyone wish to comment on my idea and see any flaws with it, I am all ears or come up with any other solution.

thanks
I'm sure I've seen a similar post before. Maybe a search?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you're making new holes you want 'Blind Grommets' to plug them after.

another tip if you do drill them is first to cover them with masking tape which will stop the drill bit grabbing & dragging through damaging the other side. perspex will snatch at the drill bit.

Reactions: DBK

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Take the window out of the frame.... get a ball of fine rough wool...

Poke it in one of the holes, and as much as you can...

Shake the wool around and it will collect/pick up most if not all the little creatures...

Then slowly pull the wool back out.... and most of the insects will come with the wool.. :smiley:

Then make sure the holes are blocked up again..

Worked for me a few years ago...

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
If you decide to try to hoover them out be careful you don't cavitate the window, by ensuring both plugs are out, don't ask me how I know, been there, done that :rolleyes:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
All this talk of vacumns and sucking you might want to leave it to nicki

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
If you're making new holes you want 'Blind Grommets' to plug them after.

Sounds like a character from 'Treasure Island', or an extra from 'Old Jamaica Rum' advert ... Or a character in the prologue of the maritime version of 'Up Pompeii' with the esteemed Mr Francis Howerd ... ;) :LOL:

I'm in one of those moods where I wonder whether there's any beginning to my talents ....

Steve

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I had this problem.
I pushed a piece of needle though the hole and then used a strong magnet to “sweep” the insects towards the hole, where a vacuum was more successful.
I now have a bit of needle in the window!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back