SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have just had a few things added to my MH by Roadpro, including a B2B charger, and I am very happy with the result. However, I was hoping that their 130w semi-flexible solar panel would be flexible enough to fit transversely across the overhead cab, as I have no room on the roof, but unfortunately it wasn't. Has anyone had a flexible panel fitted and, if so, who fitted it and how does it function compared to the rigid panels if you also have them fitted? I have 2 x 90W and 1 x 50W panels fitted but have increased my leisure battery capacity to 440A and would like to increase my solar power. Possibly a bit overkill but I intend to do a lot of wildcamping in the future.
Ps also had a Nasa BM1 battery monitor fitted which is my new toy, yes I am sad and should get a life..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I am wary of these on a motorhome.. With no airflow underneath I imagine they can get very hot and what damage would that do to your GRP roof ???
At Lincoln they had one standing up outside a stall, the rear of it was already quiet warm and that was not glued down to anything... Even the sales guy was left shrugging his shoulders after our chat and admitted to me that he knew someone who had removed two and replaced with standard panels.. The flexi one's not being supplied by him..
I must admit they are very light and would be ideal for motorhomes, once someone checks the heat issue..

Reactions: SMB
OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Thanks Tonka, I spoke to Damien at Roadpro and he said they used to fit them but don't anymore, and didn't know why. Maybe that's the reason, if so it's a pity but I suppose it's one less thing to buy. Plenty of other stuff to purchase but for now I will continue to be mesmerised by the blue BM1 screen showing loads of power left, unlike my previous almost-dead batteries! Sunny today so the solar panels charged the new batteries up in a few hours :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I agree it's pretty basic stuff that solars produce more power when cool. Stuck down flat can't be good and perhaps why prices have dropped.:LOL:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I asked Dave Newell why he didn't fit flexible ones and he said he stuck with what worked best. They are also more expensive than rigid ones...

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Looks like I will be sticking with what I have got, saying that I used loads of stuff last night for 5 or 6 hours and still had over 85% battery power left when I turned in at 2am (watched The Walking Dead, can't just watch one episode at a time). The batteries were fully charged up by 1pm, granted I am in the Extremadura area in Spain and its pretty warm here with lots of sunshine but I'm happy with the system and there is always the B2B charger to fall back on :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Also what happens when you want remove it? And trust me there are plenty of reasons why you may need to!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back