Flexible gas solution for new motorhome (1 Viewer)

BarleyRiser

Free Member
Apr 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote Foxy V600G Pr
I've just moved from a caravan to a motorhome. I have 2 6kg Flogas cylinders.
I've been relatively happy with these (run out of gas twice but thankfully only in this country), but would really like to change them to 11kg ones. This would have been too heavy in the caravan. If this was possible, nothing about at present, I would probably have to pay another £80, plus the cost of the gas.

An alternative is to keep these and add one refillable cylinder.

I'd be happy with Safefill if I had a guaranteed local source. LPG in petrol stations seems to be reducing and filling loose cylinders frowned upon.

Gas-It looks possible as it looks like it can be filled in the van without having to disconnect the cylinder.

Gaslow is expensive and doesn't give any flexibility. It should be the way forward but I'm not convinced.

Am I right in my analysis? Any thoughts?

We usually use CL sites with hookup in the UK and ACSI sites on the continent. Not a great use of gas but you notice it when it runs out.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the tipping point here is your use abroad you really need at least one refillable cylinder either gasit or similar gas it and gaslow are just brands of the same system depending on your van and plans you could also consider underslung tanks which would free up a locker but of no benifit if your already close to weight limits

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
the tipping point here is your use abroad you really need at least one refillable cylinder either gasit or similar gas it and gaslow are just brands of the same system depending on your van and plans you could also consider underslung tanks which would free up a locker but of no benifit if your already close to weight limits
Thats right. We have one 11kg refillable and one 6kg Calor. Works for us

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BarleyRiser

BarleyRiser

Free Member
Apr 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote Foxy V600G Pr
They won't at present. I have changed sizes in the past. They were very good at it, unlike Calor!

OP
OP
BarleyRiser

BarleyRiser

Free Member
Apr 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote Foxy V600G Pr
Thats right. We have one 11kg refillable and one 6kg Calor. Works for us.
What refillable system do you use?
I assume you take it out to fill?
Where do you fill up?
Are there any problems, here or abroad?
Sorry, lots of questions.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I had a Safefill for years and NEVER ONCE filled it at a petrol station, only ever at the local lpg independent wherever we were

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Where do you fill up?
You can have either although both have some limitations.
We have a gadit sustem and fill at the pump when needed, you can also get adapters to fill up while abroad

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Where do you fill up?
No problem. Its gaslow. Its got an external fill point. Never had problems anywhere but keep a full calor just to be safe but never had to use it

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Like many of the above, we have one GasLow and one Calor.

The Calor was last swapped in 2018 and cost £27 for 11kg.
The GasLow we fill at fuel stations, we have had no problem so far in finding a location to fill it at about £6 for 11kg

If you are intending to travel outside the UK for over 2 weeks, then Calor gas is not an option.

Although the number of fuel stations that provide LPG is reducing in the UK, there are still 100's remaining, particularly in the main towns and cities, as taxi fleets often run on LPG.
On the European mainland LPG is available in many fuel stations

https://www.mylpg.eu/ website and App you can download to your phone which will give you the nearest stations with LPG and the current price.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
One Safefill and one Calor Lite (as emergency back-up) for us. Morrison's Supermarkets are an "approved" Safefill filling point (if the branch has lpg of course).

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Why do you suggest that gaslow is expensive? They are around a similar install price

I fitted twin 6kg in my pvc because I couldn't fit anything bigger and have never had an issue with refilling anywhere - just filled up as I ran one empty and the other low this last month and it cost a tenner at a morrisons as I was passing

OP
OP
BarleyRiser

BarleyRiser

Free Member
Apr 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote Foxy V600G Pr
Why do you suggest that gaslow is expensive? They are around a similar install price

I fitted twin 6kg in my pvc because I couldn't fit anything bigger and have never had an issue with refilling anywhere - just filled up as I ran one empty and the other low this last month and it cost a tenner at a morrisons as I was passing
Sorry, you're right. I was looking at a complete twin cylinder system that the dealer offered. I wanted the backup of the Flogas, with just one refillable bottle.
I'll look again as they seem to work as stand alone as well as in a fixed system.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We‘re hoping to tour Europe next year and currently have a couple of 6kg calor gas bottles.
What are my options?
that very much depends on what time of year for heating and how long off grid, assuming your fridge freezer uses gas. and how long you will be away.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We‘re hoping to tour Europe next year and currently have a couple of 6kg calor gas bottles.
What are my options?
I run off my refillable, touring mostly abroad not on sites and have a Calor connected just to tide me over if I can't find an LPG station when the refillable runs out, but in 8 yrs I've only needed to switch over twice to the Calor and even then only for just half a day.
I've posted these pics many times, but on the basis that a pic is worth a thousand words.......
2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 002.JPG

2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 003.JPG

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thats right. We have one 11kg refillable and one 6kg Calor. Works for us
This is the set up, which works really well. We used to have 2 X 6kg exchangeable Calor bottles - but it was no good for overseas.

Now have a 11kg Gas-it refillable bottle with external filler.

A single 6kg Calor acts as an emergency back-up. But we've never needed it. Just keep the refillable topped up. And no more carrying or swapping gas bottles. :giggle: (y)

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
So is a refillable gas the same performance as the calor, if you have them both connected into the same system. Or does each have its own different regulator.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
So is a refillable gas the same performance as the calor, if you have them both connected into the same system.
Yes. Both are connected to the same regulator as in my photo above. To change from one cylinder to the other I just close the valve on the empty cylinder and open the valve on the other one. Nothing else needs to be done.

And in case you're wondering, gas cannot pass from one cylinder to another due to each cylinder having a non-return valve in the supply side.
The cylinder outlet tap on a refillable cylinder must be closed when refilling. Refilling occurs through a separate refilling inlet which is integral with the refillable system and which has its own built-in non-return valve.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Yes. Both are connected to the same regulator as in my photo above. To change from one cylinder to the other I just close the valve on the empty cylinder and open the valve on the other one. Nothing else needs to be done.

And in case you're wondering, gas cannot pass from one cylinder to another due to each cylinder having a non-return valve in the supply side.
The cylinder outlet tap on a refillable cylinder must be closed when refilling. Refilling occurs through a separate refilling inlet which is integral with the refillable system and which has its own built-in non-return valve.
Cheers for the info, which brand is your system? I wouldn’t want the external filling valve through the bodywork though.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Cheers for the info, which brand is your system? I wouldn’t want the external filling valve through the bodywork though.
Gaslow. I chose it because they supply s/steel braided covered piping and their techy help people were brilliant.

You can fit the filler unit on a stand-alone bracket rather than through the bodywork as long as it isn't too close to the ground and liable to get damaged. Mounted too low will also make it a struggle to kneel down (probably on the oily and wet ground) to connect the fairly heavy and rather awkward pump gun.
If I wanted to remove my system I would simply fit a plastic ventilation grille over the outside and inside of the filler hole in the locker door and nobody would know that there ever was an extra 'hole' ;) .

I fitted my entire system from scratch in an hour and a half, including a break for a brew (and I can only use one arm).

If you fit the filler unit inside a gas locker which you have to open you may be refused gas if the person in the kiosk doesn't accept that you aren't refilling separate cylinders, which I've read has happened to some folk when using Safefill (i.e. 'uninstalled') cylinders.

If you use the 'Search' facility on this site (top right of this page) you will find all aspects of this topic have been done to death discussed many many times.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back