Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have only had one poor experience but that was remedied quickly.

Following Terry's threads I dont think I would buy a high value item on there though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Been on 'Fleabay' since March 2006, sell loads on there with very few problems, ebay does have good buyer protections in place, if your not happy and pay via PayPal all you have to do is file a resolution and PayPal put a block on your money.

If seller does not respond, Paypal and ebay will refund automatically.

If your daft enough to pay by other means, then your a fool and deserve what you get frankly.

Only the greedy get scammed in the end

Peter

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
i bought a item in the early days off eBay and found it very good,but to day there's more and more fly by nights, so i would not venture in to any thing , and how folk can part with good money with out even inspecting the item/s or seeing the item/s its mind boggling, so there's my 2 pennif on the subject,Alf.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have and still do purchase items through ebay. However in my attempt to support local businesses I usually use ebay to establish a best price scenario and then decide how much more than that I'm prepared to pay for local service.

With local service you can pop back for advice or additional purchases. If something goes wrong it is less hassle to return the goods. It also puts profit into your local economy.

I am currently in the throws of purchasing a new Stihl chain saw. My local dealer has already offered a good deal. I have searched the web and could get the same saw in Leicester for £563, just £8 cheaper than my local dealer.

For £8 I would rather deal locally. I will NEVER use ebay to beat the local suppliers down to a lower price........Griff :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I would be lost without it ::bigsmile: and Google ::bigsmile: never buy much without consulting both :thumb:I have had my share of hassels but in geneal been pleased.:thumb:The money I have saved probably runs into 1,000 s compared to going around the shops, or phoneing around.Last year I got a nice £200 10 ins tablet free :thumb:A LOT OF HASEL BUT WORTH IT::bigsmile: Saved over£70 on a vacum cleaner,:thumb:and about 10 cree tourches for aprox £3/to 8 quid as opposed to £8 to £30 :Smile: but I have given 6 away so perhaps not saved as much because if I had paid shop price I would not have given them away ::bigsmile:A new camera system that saved above £500 on anything like from UK:thumb:
terry

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Personal opinion now
I Will not use Fleabay under any circumstances
[HI]Until they clean their act up[/HI]
Which probably means
never again.

How do you feel & Why ?

interesting stand point...do you only apply it to Ebay?

as id be surprised if you could buy anything much these days without there being a scam of some sort in the supply chain somewhere

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I use ebay regularly and have never had any problems.

You need to be a bit savvy and do as much homework as you can such as checking on the seller/buyer's feedback before committing.

Last week Barrie bought a job lot comprising of a balalaika and vintage mandolin for just £28!

If you ever want to spend a couple of mindless hours reading horror stories, the ebay forums are good fun ::bigsmile:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I have bought & sold hundreds of items over the years & only ever had ONE problem which was sorted by Paypal. There are scams on there, like lots of other places, so you do need to use caution. But to say your not usiing e-bay because of the scams is a bit like saying you're not going to use your phone because some scammer rang up to tell you you won the Nigerian lottery or not using e-mail because you get e-mails trying to sell dodgy blue pills.

ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We bought our MH off Ebay without seeing it! So far so good...!

Like others, I couldn't survive without Ebay - just got the fabric from there to re-cover our upholstery, along with 25m of velcro from Shanghai for 9 euros!!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We used eBay successfully when we had our business. After selling I didn't sell much at all until just recently we've been sorting out and getting rid of stuff hat's really just clutter to us so eBay has been very useful.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Ebay - brilliant. I am, at the moment, selling lots of games that have been in our loft for years. I have bought & sold loads. ::bigsmile:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Bought loads off Ebay (feedback rating in the 600's) and sold a few bits including a classic car and a caravan but I certainly would not buy something like a car or motorhome without seeing it. By that I mean I would bid and hope to win but on an item like that would go to pick it up and would not pay a penny beforehand. That way if the item is not there or mis-described then I would walk away. What's the seller (or scammer) likely to do, sue you!, I don't think so.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I could not survive without eBay. It's great.

As Hilldweller says - I think its great.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I never buy anything until I see what they sell for on eBay. And like others often buy it locally for a bit more.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think ebay has become such a strong model, that they will be targets for scammers.

Luckily there are people like you that enjoy looking for them!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I always feel a bit two faced to be honest.
eBay is the bane of an awful lot of legitimate traders who have to compete with scumbags who buy a few items from suppliers, work from a bedroom and work on a markup of a few pence ( literally, and I am taking about stuff that costs anything from a couple of quid to £100+ )

But...........
I myself buy stuff ( such as 2nd hand fones, memory sticks, and sometimes parts for the van etc etc )

Only had minor problems over the many years of use, all bar one of which was sorted out by either PayPal or eBay quite quickly, and the one odd one was eventually resolved by a personal visit to the vendor

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Just purchased a new back for me I phone 4 Impact damage

£4.99
Against£ 146 fitted by apple

Which is the rip off :Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I couldn't live without EBay these days. sure, youve got scammers but they tend to be easily spotted by using a few common sense rules. like checking the feedback of a seller before purchase. i dont mean just rely on them being 97% or above. i then click on the number of negatives received and read them. some may just be from idiots blaming the seller because they were not home to take delivery or something similar. What i really look for is a pattern or even complaints about the product your looking to buy. one that springs to mind is usb thumb drives hacked to make them appear higher capacity, like an 8gb that pretends to be 64gb.

at the end of the day though, it comes down to experience. if something looks to be too cheap, ask yourself why and if you do buy it be prepared to write off the cost if you got it wrong. some bargains tend to cost more in the long run as you have to buy again

Mar 26, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Read with great interest this thread. Being in Northern Ireland it is virtually impossible to view vehicles before buying them, so over the past 9 years I have taken calculated risks in buying some cars blind.

At a quick calculation there have been 2 BMW 2002tii's, 2 MG Midgets, 2 MGB GT's, 1 MGB Roadster, 3 BMW E34 M5's, 1 Reliant Coupe Rally car, 2 Hymers and 3 weeks ago, an MX5! I am not a dealer, 7 of them are sadly still in my ownership, but all have been more or less as described. I do have 1 golden rule though which is never to buy anything 'big' without talking to the owner. In the early days , I did let my sense of wellbeing run riot with 1 of the Midgets, and while it did have 'shiney paintwork' it was on top of a thick layer of filler!

Other silly, in some peoples mind, things I have done include, for my current Hymer, posting £500 in cash the seller as he knew nothing about the internet and his daughter had posted the advert and he did not want the deposit in her paypal account! Again I had spoken to the chap at length and considered it a safe risk. Some day I'll write a post about it, but we have been delighted with it and have just tonight booked a trip to France at Easter in it.

So in conclusion, life would be very dull without the adventures ebay can bring you.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Hmm

Only the greedy get scammed in the end

Peter

That is a little harsh. If we discover someone's card details are being used without their consent we endeavour to contact them - it's what I hope someone would if the situation was reversed.

If we cannot contact them we try to put through a vastly enflated transaction (something like a £30k) this sets off triggers with the card issuer and the card is blocked.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I always feel a bit two faced to be honest.
eBay is the bane of an awful lot of legitimate traders who have to compete with scumbags who buy a few items from suppliers, work from a bedroom and work on a markup of a few pence ( literally, and I am taking about stuff that costs anything from a couple of quid to £100+ )

I understand this. Rest assured this is pretty normal and is called guilt. But if you didn't watch the purse string you may not be able to afford your hobby. Shopping around isn't a bad thing - shopping around when you shouldn't have too, that's a bad thing i.e. changing utility suppliers to get the best price rather than just getting a fair price automatically :Angry:

OP
OP
teddybard

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Originally Posted by Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Link Removed

[STRIKE]Only the greedy get scammed in the end[/STRIKE]

Peter

That is a little harsh. If we discover someone's card details are being used without their consent we endeavour to contact them - it's what I hope someone would if the situation was reversed.

If we cannot contact them we try to put through a vastly enflated transaction (something like a £30k) this sets off triggers with the card issuer and the card is blocked.
[HI]More than a little harsh how many people get their cards ripped off or ID Scammed[/HI]

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Another big fan , both buying and selling, never had a problem ..

However, just because it's on ebay doesn't mean it's the cheapest.. there are plenty of examples where I've found items cheaper from other on-line stores..

It is also a good benchmark for second hand values by looking at completed transactions.. indeed, some auction houses use it for just that , as do charity shops..

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Never had a bad deal on e-bay.We have sold loads of stuff as we slim down towards our eventual house sale and it has been very very useful.Over the years we have also bought loads of stuff with no problem using Paypal which is a built in safeguard worth having.I wouldn't dream of buying a large item such as MH off e-bay without seeing it and getting to know the van and the seller a wee bit!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back