Flat vehicle battery, how do I charge up wwhen I cant open passenger door to open bonnet? (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Do you have a towbar? I used the charge the batteries on my towcar through the 13-pin socket.

Much easier than lifting the bonnet!

AgeingAndrew

Free Member
Apr 3, 2020
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2016
Hey there,
I've a 2008 Elddis Autoquest 130 on a Peugeot 2.2HDi Base. I've left it standing and for personal issues, forgot to disconnect the battery, so now its deader than the proverbial dodo.

As a result, the central locking doesnt work. I can get in the driver side or via the habitation door but I need to be able to open the passenger door to access the bonnet release. As there is no key hole on the drivers door, I'm a bit stuck.

Does anyone have any experience/ advice for me that may be able to help please?

Many thanks in advance

Chris

If you can access the split charge relay or the fuse between starter battery and split charge relay, you could try using a battery charger or spare battery to apply 12v to the starter battery. You should only need to do it until you are able to unlock the passenger door.
Then rig in some method of charging your starter battery. I use a Noco 5A charger permanently connected to the starter battery and plug it in when on EHU.
Good luck

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
On our 2010 boxer the battery is under the passenger side floor, can’t see where it would be under the bonnet🤷‍♂️

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
On our 2010 boxer the battery is under the passenger side floor, can’t see where it would be under the bonnet🤷‍♂️
Same on my 2013. But mum and dad have an early 2000s and the battery is under the bonnet.

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
Find out which fuse powers the CL and feed power from an alternative power source to this fuse, then you will be able to unlock.

other option is one of the cig lighter socket connector cable, basically links the power from one vehicle to another.

I used to have a Porsche Boxster and encountered this problem many times, bonnet pull needed power on that, many times when stood battery would go flat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 1, 2018
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
A/S Corinium RB
some battery chargers have a diagnostic plug adapter on them, you could get enough charge into the vehicle to unlocks the door by charging through that as there is always a constant connection to the battery there

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't understand the problem, he said he could get in the hab door once inside two options.
Pull the bonnet release you don't need to open the passenger door to do it, then you can access the jump start terminals under the bonnet.
2nd option is to remove the cover in the floor to access the battery.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Don't understand the problem, he said he could get in the hab door once inside two options.
Pull the bonnet release you don't need to open the passenger door to do it, then you can access the jump start terminals under the bonnet.
2nd option is to remove the cover in the floor to access the battery.

Think pulling the bonnet release requires opening the passenger door and OP said battery is under the bonnet.🙂

F81B85E4-6716-42B0-9AEA-7F333668759D.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Think pulling the bonnet release requires opening the passenger door and OP said battery is under the bonnet.🙂

View attachment 632772
That is a X244, the OP said his van was 2008 which would be an X250 which you don't need to open the door to get at the bonnet release and the battery is under the floor.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2016
glos
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
15yrs
Totally flat VW Passat. Opened door with emergency key then charged via the cigar lighter socket

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
He has a x250 Peugeot.citroen.fiat all the same but I think he has sorted his problem by now

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!

View attachment 632772

Mine is like this too. Have to open the passenger door to open the bonnet. Really clever... 🙄

However my battery is below the floor, where the passengers feet would be.

Sep 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 months
You should be able to access the fuse box inside the cab. Choose a circuit that is permanently live, pull the fuse and make a temporary connection to the fuseholder so you can connect a charger. Bit of a faff but it should work. You only need enough in the battery so you can unlock the passenger door then you open the bonnet and all is well.

On our Fiat based Autotrail I can select "vehicle battery" on the control panel so that the EHU will charge the vehicle battery.

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
Mine is like this too. Have to open the passenger door to open the bonnet. Really clever... 🙄

However my battery is below the floor, where the passengers feet would be.
I agree but it would have been designed to be left had drive so it would in essence be the drivers door?

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I agree but it would have been designed to be left had drive so it would in essence be the drivers door?
That's exactly it and that's why the passengers side heater is better than the drivers side

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Is that specific to a peugeot?, my x244 ducato has the bonnet release next to steering column
Sorry, have no idea! 🥴 Just wanted to find an example to show why he needed to open the passenger door. 🙂

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!

Why should something so vital be obscured by anything? It's stupid, driver's door or passenger.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Not forgetting that if the battery is completely dead many modern (Smart) chargers require some life in the battery to know they are actually connected to one otherwise they won't charge. The way around this is to connect a good battery to the dead one to put a minimal amount of juice into it so the charger can recognise its actually connected to a battery and will activate it's charging program.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Why should something so vital be obscured by anything? It's stupid, driver's door or passenger.
Presumably to stop a situation where a young child ( or inquisitive adult ) pulls the catch and the bonnet opens and obscures the drivers view whilst in motion at high speed.
It’s still a stupid design in my opinion .

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Presumably to stop a situation where a young child ( or inquisitive adult ) pulls the catch and the bonnet opens and obscures the drivers view whilst in motion at high speed.
It’s still a stupid design in my opinion .

That's probably why in most cars it is down the the drivers footwell or you use the key under the badge in the case of my grandads old ford.

To hide it, where if something goes wrong it cannot be accessed is just plain daft.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back