Flat tyre (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
I'm new to motor-homing
Have a new Mileo 282. Limited garage space with spare wheel/ tyre. Have a Fix n Go Fiat inflator & sealant but not sure it’s a good idea to NOT take the spare wheel. Someone thought just to take the tyre. It can ‘stand’ this in the back of garage. My question is: if I have a flat tyre is the jack supplied with this Ducato sufficient to lift the Motorhome or would I need call RAC anyway. If I would then I why take the jack. Anyone have experience advice on what recovery (eg RAC) offers if called over a flat tyre? Do they have better lifting equipment to change tyre? Otherwise ‘tow’ to garage ( would this be a ‘recovery’ operation?). Anyone used the Fix n Go sealant that’s supposed to allow you slowly get to a garage?
Thanks. As you might guess we are new to Motorhoming :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fix n go MAY fix I minor puncture but what if its major damage.... Split sidewall if kerbed or a blowout etc.
Once use it may be difficult to find somewhere to repair the tyre. They have to remove all traces of the sealant and they simply don't do it.

Breakdown vans carry, and use, a trolley jack.
The supplied jack will be on its very limits and in my view not safe.
They are designed for a lightly loaded van, not a heavy motorhome.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've used the FIAT jack successfully. Why would they supply a jack that will not work ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve used the Fiat jack when I had a puncture and when I needed to check brake pads when away with no problem.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Take the spare
That’s why it’s there.
Don’t pull out your hair.
Coz we really do care.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Thought I try a bit of rap. It’s the in thing,innit.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Take the spare
That’s why it’s there.
Don’t pull out your hair.
Coz we really do care.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Thought I try a bit of rap. It’s the in thing,innit.
Rap ? With a silent 'c' ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I usually carry one of these inflatable jacks & have done for many years, very quick, very light & safe.
Try looking on fleabay at this number. 123923443421

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Along same lines as your question......Might be worth checking with any breakdown cover you have as to what they require you to have....think mine says something along lines of I need to have a spare wheel that they can use to change the puncture ie not just a tyre. Not sure about what the position is if you just have a can of sealant which hasn’t worked...?if I don’t have that then it is not part of the breakdown service they provide. The jack provided should lift vehicle but I’m not convinced as to how stable they are if ground is not billiard table smooth etc....use with a axle stand if you can!

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Along same vane, I was looking at the Alu-tec jacking system. Brackets fit to the chasis and the jack fits into them.
BUT, the only ones I found were for caravans, I would suppose you get them for MoHo`s, anyone any the wiser?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I always carry a spare (tyre & wheel) when you get a puncture whilst traveling in a heavy vehicle it normally damages the sidewall beyond repair. Also I have had a tyre go and damage the rim as well so I would never travel without a spare.

I've used the Fiat jack a few times without any problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back