Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Evening all :)

Went out to potter about on the MH and discovered the battery was flat :Sad: - the engine battery. This happened once before and I just about managed to get jumper leads connected to get it started. I say, 'just about' because the battery's positive terminal isn't that accessible!

Today, I just couldn't get a strong connection to allow enough current to flow to start the engine, it's freezing cold so I've put it off until tomorrow.

When I took a good look at the battery I discovered it's not as conventional as I expected. Here's a couple of pics:

BurstnerBattery3_zps7c0f9313.jpg

The pos & neg terminals appear to be diagonally opposite one another - is this right?

BatteryCloseUp_zpsb08cc0e8.png

I can't make out what type of connection the positive terminal is and being beneath the bodywork, it was easier to get a picture :) How would I disconnect the battery if I needed to fit a replacement?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers

john

Last edited:

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
battery

Hi
Its the fat red one undo the two black clips and its going round to the right ok .:thumb:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I had a flat battery on van once and it wouldnt turn over so used the 12v socket inside with my jump pack.Left it plugged in overnight and bingo,Is it maintenance free or maybe cells need topping up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Looks a bit like the negative terminal is a bit corroded? Might be worth unbolting the cleaning them up anyway.
Just check that disconnecting power doesn't upset any engine management systems if you have any, you also might lose the radio & have to re code it.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
if you do need a new battery go to somewhere that offers free fitting and let them have the hassle :Eeek:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I had a flat battery on van once and it wouldnt turn over so used the 12v socket inside with my jump pack.Left it plugged in overnight and bingo,Is it maintenance free or maybe cells need topping up.

That was such a good idea I braved the elements and took my jump pack to the MH only to discover the power to the cigarette socket is disconnected when the ignition is off :( I tried putting the pack under the bonnet but the cables wouldn't reach the terminals and now I'm frozen :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
get your jumper lead clamp across the two larger nuts towards the front of the metal plate.

doesnt really matter where the connection is made as its all live.

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Assume its x 250 cab, jump start positive connection in engine compartment negative is stud all shown in fiat handbook

Steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Not too sure now looked at pics

Steles

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Assume its x 250 cab, jump start positive connection in engine compartment negative is stud all shown in fiat handbook

Steles

Thanks for this. I was wondering whether there'd be some more convenient way to connect but being 55 plate (2005), I wasn't sure.

It's a Burstner 748 on a Fiat Ducato 2.8 diesel - I don't have the manual to hand so any clues?? I'd go out and connect my pack and leave it overnight :Smile:

Thanks

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I will try and scan page for you,not sure this will work out.

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry should have looked at pics, not x 250 i guess as others say any good connection on positive will do. Can you not put on hookup for a couple of hours.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Ducato jump start.

Attachments

• Ducato .jpg
    Ducato .jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I'll sort it tomorrow when it's a little warmer :Smile:. Regrettably it's just a little to far for me to use an extension lead and put it on charge overnight.

I'll probably make up some better way to connect to the positive terminal, makes life easier in the future.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
is there a jump lead connection point on the right of the engine bay usuall about 4/5 inches long red plastic cover which you flip up to exspose a bar below for connecting the live jump lead to the negative goes to any part of the engine theres normally a lifting ring at the front which is ideal
im only working on my van conversion it may get removed during conversion as your batteries are under the bonnet rather than underfloor as mine are

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
is there a jump lead connection point on the right of the engine bay usuall about 4/5 inches long red plastic cover which you flip up to exspose a bar below for connecting the live jump lead to the negative goes to any part of the engine theres normally a lifting ring at the front which is ideal
im only working on my van conversion it may get removed during conversion as your batteries are under the bonnet rather than underfloor as mine are

mines still in place ,tried to post picture but my computing skills are not to clever.:Doh:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!

Lifting ring is easily accessible but I couldn't find the 'HOT' connection post.

P1020988.jpg

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Different to mine,it is to the right in the centre with a stud on front right for negative

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Identical to mine.. and twice I thought my battery had died and twice it turned out to be the stupid bloody +ve connection not 'making it' properly

Grab hold of the who +ve terminal assembly and wiggle the darned thing like mad..
If it comes back to life you know whats wrong

Then the fun begins as there is very little room to play with.
The only decent answer is to remove the connector from the battery, clean the terminal on the battery up well, and the inside of the terminal you now have access to.
Refit and hopefully all will be well ( until the darned thing goes again in about a years time !!! Damned awful design !!! )

I have now severely modified mine so as to minimise the chance of co-occurrence

Last edited:
OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Tried wiggling the positive connection but no result :(

How does the positive cable connect to the battery? As I said in my first post it looks as iff the terminals on the battery are diagonally opposite - is this right? Is it a standard circular pole connection?

Any pictures online that show the actual connection & distribution plate? It's so awkwardly placed it's nearly impossible to see!

I've presently run a 50m mains cable out to the MH and got it on charge, but like a good boy scout :Smile: I do like to know how it fits together.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Once the battery is unclamped is there not room to pull it forward ?

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Well, I think the battery is shot :( I've no idea how old it is but having been on charge for 3 hours there's just 10.9v across the terminals.

Now I need to identify which battery to buy - 12v 100AH I think.

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
If you go on the Halfords website, Batteries, and enter your vehicle reg, it comes back with vehicle make and battery type to buy.
I bought the Bosch for mine, a bit expensive but powerful and 5 year warranty.

Hope this helps
Steve

kevin

Free Member
Feb 23, 2013
essex
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
2nd year
battery flat

I had same problem last sunday flat battery as over poster say the clip on the positive just un clip ,went to halfords paid £6.99 extra to have it fitted but dont tell them your registration as it not recognized just look in the book for your model:Ie fiat ducato and let them fit it well worth the £6.99

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
I really could do with something along those lines, it has been a battle this winter keeping the starter battery with charge. Ended up buying the Clarke 4000 jump starter.
Steve

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks for all the help.

Just made my final visit to the MH to disconnect the 50m of cables! Battery is totally dead and not taking a hint of a charge. So new battery it is.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back