Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi

My main battery is totally flat, I think I may have left the radio on.

I have plugged the MH into the mains at home with so clever use of extensions and hopefully tolerant neighbours.

Will this charge the battery or will I need to Jump start (I think to will be too flat for that) or charge the main battery separately?

Any advise would be appreciated,

Many thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If its that flat it's time for a new battery.
Lead acid batteries won't tolerate being left uncharged.
It may charge but will die again withing a few days at most but there's more chance it won't even charge.
If the van has a smart charger it won't even begin charging and will need an older anologue charger to 'kick start' it.
Cut your losses and replace.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
In addition to what pappajohn has said. Whether a standard hook-up will charge the cab battery, varies from converter to converter.

Our last van - a Chausson - required as separate charger connected directly to the cab battery. But our current Rapido charges both habitation and cab batteries when hooked up to the mains.

You need to know which set up your van has.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thanks

I "think" it should charge both, but is not appearing to.

I suspect it will need a new battery. I'll leave it overnight and assess in the morning

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
When I had a Bongo a relay stuck on and flattened both batteries. When I put the charger on it blew the fuse as the current draw was too great. I had it recovered and they charged both batteries. I kept the Bongo for years afterwards and both batteries were okay

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I blew the fuse in my normal battery charger trying to charge a absolutely flat battery. I put the jump leads from my wife’s car on it for 15 mins and then was able to use a smart charger for a couple of hours then attached the normal charger with a new fuse. So far all’s well 🤞🤞🤞that was 4 months ago

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi

My main battery is totally flat, I think I may have left the radio on.

I have plugged the MH into the mains at home with so clever use of extensions and hopefully tolerant neighbours.

Will this charge the battery or will I need to Jump start (I think to will be too flat for that) or charge the main battery separately?

Any advise would be appreciated,

Many thanks
hi, I would connect it up to a separate charger..its unlikely that the onboard charger will do that satisfactorily..they usually at best are designed to supply a small maintenance charge to the start battery ..thats all..
if your battery hasn't been in a discharged state for long and by that I mean a day or so I reckon you will get away with charging it ..provided its a sound battery in the first place..
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back