Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Had to use my emergency start today, this is a switch i have that can pull the leisure batteries into the vehicle starting circuit. Seems that in 3 weeks of inactivity something has drained the vehicle battery, it was completely dead.

My leisure batteries are kept topped up by two massive solar panels on my roof, it seems that even in mushroom growing Wales there is enough light to keep my leisures in tip top charge.

How can I rig it so that my solar panels will drip a bit of juice into my vehicle battery as well?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi jim Battery master about £70, eddievanbitz flogs them. Or the cheap way a suitable wire between the positive terminals with a 20amp fuse in it. Just remember to pull the fuse before you start up.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi jim Battery master about £70, eddievanbitz flogs them. Or the cheap way a suitable wire between the positive terminals with a 20amp fuse in it. Just remember to pull the fuse before you start up.

Olley

Yes you could, but to be on the safe side I would rather fit the Battery Master.. at £44.50 ..

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Had to use my emergency start today, this is a switch i have that can pull the leisure batteries into the vehicle starting circuit. Seems that in 3 weeks of inactivity something has drained the vehicle battery, it was completely dead.

My leisure batteries are kept topped up by two massive solar panels on my roof, it seems that even in mushroom growing Wales there is enough light to keep my leisures in tip top charge.

How can I rig it so that my solar panels will drip a bit of juice into my vehicle battery as well?

Jim

I believe Lidl have a device that I bought in Spain last winter currently for sale, not sure when though.

It is a lead with a cig light plug at each end and a control box that lets you know whats going on. A lot cheaper than a battery master & I used it all the time I had my RV because the batteries seem to be independatly wired, except when driving.
This solved the same problem for me & kept my battery charged for 6 weeks. ::bigsmile:

Keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Jim

Just found it here

Link Removed

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
It would only work if your cig lighter is live with the ignition off surly

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
It would only work if your cig lighter is live with the ignition off surly

Diabalo

Yes you are right if it was a European, but I think you will find RV's sockets are live when ignition is switched off, at least mine were.:thumb:

Keith

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I switch off both chassis and coach isolator.

Mine last for 3 weeks OK

Maplins do a screen solar panel that gently trickles if i needed it.

Link Removed

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Jim,

Have you read the manual that came with your new solar panel regulator thingy?

My regulator thingy charges bank 1 (leisure) and when full, switches to bank 2, Engine/Chassis).

You may find that yours can do similar??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim whats not safe about it? worst that can happen is the fuse blows.

Olley

Hi Olley
Bad choice of word, correct, it's not unsafe from a 'safety' point for charging but if you forget to remove the fuse on site and are not on ehu the engine battery could end up flat.. my meaning was to 'play it safe' and not have this happen.

Jim

aido

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Co. Wicklow
Funster No
MH
Euromobil
Exp
8 years
Jim

Just going out to start mine now, same thing happened went dead over a period of 4 weeks will have to go solar:RollEyes:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Olley
Bad choice of word, correct, it's not unsafe from a 'safety' point for charging but if you forget to remove the fuse on site and are not on ehu the engine battery could end up flat.. my meaning was to 'play it safe' and not have this happen.

Jim

Hi Jim thats why I fitted the battery master (crap memory) but was thinking Jim needs to save all his money for his birthday bash. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back