Flat battery (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
blucamp2

blucamp2

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
Funster No
hi derek thanks .. the battery will run the head lights but will not turn the motor so hopfully its not U.S.
phil

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
I have started my 6lt Cummins diesel using the leisure batteries.. and they are only cheap FLAs.. no harm was done and still as good as new.

If a diesel engine of ANY size needs more than a few seconds to fire there is something wrong with it ..

On the other hand, my LPG genny is a an absolute pig to start and can take several mins cranking to get it going .. :Sad:

Maybe I won't be putting an ebay bid in then!! :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Just a little food for thought

Every one seems happy to use jump leads but no one has mentioned using a surge protector .

Being in the breakdown recovery trade for more years than i care to remember i have seen many managment systems spiked by unaware customers, and a few by the so called profesionals.

I for one would never jump start a modern vehicle unless it was with a protected jump pack,or with jump leads using a surge protector.

My neighbour paid the price for a new ECU for his R reg 3 series BMW from an uninsured mobile mechanic

As for using a spaner across the terminals i guess you have never seen the result of an exploded battery

Ian

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Good point re jump starting, but the leads can be used to charge the low battery until it is able to turn the engine over unnassisted.

When we had to jump start trucks we always put on lights,fans etc. on the receiving vehicle to lessen any surge, it seemed to work but then we didn't have to pick up any bills.

OP
OP
blucamp2

blucamp2

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
Funster No
Hi and thanks to all the funters who posted on my thread ....
I decided to call ford assist europe just to see if I was covered and bingo yes I am
They were very helpful had a guy to me in less than 2hours he jump started the van using the conection under the bonet + to a juction box and - to the engine block as per fords handbook .. she started no problem and have her on trickle charge............ thats another lesson learned ...
phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back