Flat battery (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hi guys. Hoping for some advice before I call out the local garage.

I'm on site in Benidorm and have been here since Sunday. I had my electric hooked up but yesterday noticed the lights flickering a bit and my Iboost didn't seem to be drawing power from the cigarette lighter socket. Thought I'd better check the van would start and lo and behold - flat battery.

I checked control panel and noticed I must have knocked the main power switch to off (the other 2 options being aux/car battery). Now I am presuming as I hadn't told it to take power from Aux. it has been draining the car battery.

My power sockets are working and obviously drawing mains power but how come my lights were still working if the control was set to off?

Couple questions.

Am I right in presuming now I have switched it to aux power it should be charging my leisure battery only?

When I try to turn it over will it try to use charge from leisure battery as car battery is dead?

Any other ideas?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Can't help but perhaps others with a similar van may be able to help.

I believe you have an Elddis Autostratus.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Unless you are desperate to move, which would indicate a jump start from some one, i would leave it with it now switched on for 24 hours before trying to start the engine. It was switch off and you have now switched it on so it should be ok just keep an eye to see if something trips again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As your on hook up this can be resolved very quickly. Beg borrow or steal a battery charger and connect to your cab battery. Better still if you can do this with the set up you already have in your van. I'm fairly certain you have switched your power source for your habitation services from your habitation batteries to your cab battery and that's why you have a flat battery. It should be fine once re-charged. Just make sure it gets a good long charge in. If it's an intelligent battery charger all the work will be done for you. Otherwise check with a volt meter.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Thanks guys just to confirm, now that I've switched to mains power this should be charging leisure and car battery? I thought perhaps it only charges leisure battery leaving me to find a way to charge car battery in order to have power to turn engine over.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Gotta give this a wee bump.

I can safely say that the engine battery does not charge if I am plugged in to the mains. I can only hope that the leisure battery has took a charge.

So can I simply get a set of jump leads and connect the leisure battery to the engine battery and hope that is enough to get me going?

Failing that I will have to find a charger.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

I can safely say that the engine battery does not charge if I am plugged in to the mains. I can only hope that the leisure battery has took a charge.

So can I simply get a set of jump leads and connect the leisure battery to the engine battery and hope that is enough to get me going?

If your on site, there will be some brits about who will lend you a battery charger. This is your best option. When you say the engine battery is not charging when on hook up, is this the way your system was designed to operate. Most modern motorhomes have both sets of batteries maintained by their on board charger. ? (has a fuse blown ???). Anyway, your operating manuals will provide the answer to that question.
You can connect the leisure battery to the cab battery and again read your manuals on how to do this. Modern motorhomes have a connection point in the engine bay and connecting directly to the battery may blow some important fuses. If your an old motorhome you should be OK just connecting pos to pos then wait for a hour or so to get enough juice into the battery to start it.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Sorry to hear about your battery woes. I'm not very technical or able to offer much helpful advice. But what I can say is that on some vans the electric hook-up only charges the leisure battery (which I think you've just discovered), but on others it does both.

Our first van, a 2004 Rapido did both, our next van a 2010 Chausson only charged the leisure battery; and our current 2016 Rapido charges both batteries.

So if you could get your hands on a separate charger, that should solve your problem. But can't advise on connecting leisure battery to cab battery. Somebody else who knows the answer will be along soon hopefully...

Trust you get it sorted.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you haven't set the control panel to 'car' then the van battery would not have charged when set on 'Aux' ?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Picture of control panel and picture of relevant page in manual will probably get better help from those that know.:xThumb:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If your van only charges the hab, how about swapping the cab battery into the hab position for a few hours to get some charge into it ?

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
If your van only charges the hab, how about swapping the cab battery into the hab position for a few hours to get some charge into it ?

Yeah good shout although I am short on the appropriate tools to undo said connections. I'll have a quick squizz at the manual. Plenty Brits here so I'm sure I could find a charger if I need it.

Here's a photo of my control panel.

9a6ao2.jpg

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Can I suggest, put ignition on which you said will be dim, flick switch on Zig to car battery and see if the ignition light glows brighter, if so sorted, if not, erm...............

Just had a look on Google, seems setting to car only draws, not charges, however, there was suggestion that there will be a separate charger hidden in in a wardrobe !

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back