LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have not started the motor home for a good few weeks... probably a couple of months or more...

Went to start it this morning and nuffink..... flat as a nun`s wotsits...

Now I have what looks like a solar panel..... (I pressed the button to tell the state of the hab battery and it shows just over 14 v...

Does the solar panel ONLY charge the habitation battery or is it supposed to charge the vehicle battery as well...

Normally I leave it on EHU.... which I assume will charge both Engine & Hab battery...

I am guessing the panel only charges the hab battery...

And because the tracker and alarm are alive... this is why the engine battery has gone flat...

Or am I missing something or is there something not right or working...

Help
Thanks..

PS I have just put the engine battery on charge, so will try in a few hours and see if the engine starts..

Whoever thought of placing an engine battery under the floor in the cab... :swear2: :banghead: :boxing::boxing::boxing:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
@old-mo
Our Moho is similar to yours & when on ehu it only charges the hab' battery, you can charge the cab battery by accessing the easy charging / jump starting + & - terminals under the bonnet - no need to dismantle the cab (y)

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
As far as I know, unless you have a B2B or similar, the solar panel and EHU only charge the hab. bat. The only thing that usually charges both is the engine - when it starts!!!! Good luck with the charger, hope you have not damaged the battery by letting it discharge. Unfortunately, when we are busy, the time flies by and it is very easy to allow things like batteries to suffer - I seem to buy an inordinate number of batteries for my motorbikes for this very reason.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When my solar panel was fitted by dealer there was a connection added to send a small charge to the engine battery, not a difficult addition.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If on hook up why not connect another charger directly to the cab battery and then you can forget! Simple solution assuming you have another charger to hand.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Mo . I'm sure all you need fitting is a battery master type device.. it will provide a charge to your start battery when the hab battery voltage is high enough... it very simple to fit.. and there are a number you could choose from...
Van bit battery master .sterling's device and the b2b off ebay..
They all have a slightly different priority for keeping the start battery trickle charged and slightly different charging rates but any one would do ..
Andy

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
BatteryMaster, or the like, will look after your starter battery. It's a simple fitment between the hob and starter battery and will triple charge it from EHU as well as solar.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
.:thanks3: All for your advise.... (y)

I have just been out and tried to start it....... turned the key and away it went... :Grin:

I shall just leave it on trickle charge for the night...

Hopefully no damage has been done to the battery, and I will get one of them duel battery thingmejigs fitted as soon as possible...

Thanks again... :*

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Why do the MH manufacturers and dealers sell the vans like this? They know very well that it is likely to be left for a few weeks or more without driving. Once again there is a simple solution and relatively cheap solution to a problem all vans have and yet it wasn't built in. A bit like fridge vent fans.

I want to move this into the annoying things thread from yesterday:mad:

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Seems that the circuits used in motorhomes are a closely guarded secret.

You mean they haven't got a clue either :LOL:.

Strangely my SP as fitted charges the cab battery as well but the hab batteries have first dibs on the power.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
on certain Sargent control panels it makes a difference to the solar charging/battery charging if you switch off the Power Supply Unit (PSU) or leave it switched on when not in use.

If you have a Sargent PSU it is worth checking the manual as it may just be as simple as small change to the way you leave the panel to ensure the both the vehicle and Leisure batteries get charged.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
our euramobile when the hab batteries are charged the control panel shows the linking of hab to engine batteries and charging both

joe

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Mo if you fit what @Lenny HB has suggested it's very easy to fit, 3 wires, one goes to earth, one goes to leisure battery positive and one goes to positive on cab battery.

John.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
I have a solar panel on the roof which charges just the hab battery, but I have supplemented this with a smaller panel which I can stick on the dashboard and connect straight to the cab battery terminals under the bonnet. Seems to equalise the minimal discharge from the vehicle alarm as I've never had a problem since I started using it

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Use it won't go flat then. :D2 (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.