Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Evening all,

Went to pick up my Autotrail Tracker this morning after 34 days in storage, found the engine battery totally flat, not a glimmer even the fiat display (clock) was blank

Took some time to get it jump started. The alarm was not set when it went into storage so no battery drain there, I'm at a loss as to why it should have happened. Battery was fully charged on the day it went into storage which is 30 miles from home so it had a good run.

MH first registered 1st Sept this year, so battery should be good, we made sure everything was off prior to leaving it.

Totally perplexed so I ask you my learned peers what could be causing it, I work away from home at sea for 4-5 weeks at a stretch so MH needs to stand for a month without charging.

Many thanks in anticipation

Stewart

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi Stewart took a couple of pics, this tracker is on an 09 plate , yours may be different.
The reversing camera switch is the little rocker on the extreme right

Hope this helps

Larry

Thanks very much Larry, mine does not have the little black box next to the Sargent charger I'll need to find a wiring diagram and see if I can fit a switch. All the wires on said box are plugged into my freeview digi unit. A word with the manufactures methinks.

Cheers anyway and have a good Yuletide ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Stewart

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks very much Larry, mine does not have the little black box next to the Sargent charger I'll need to find a wiring diagram and see if I can fit a switch. All the wires on said box are plugged into my freeview digi unit. A word with the manufactures methinks.

Cheers anyway and have a good Yuletide ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Stewart

Sorry I can't help Stewart,
you and yours have a lovely Christmas :Smile:

Larry

ps it must have a fused supply somewhere ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I don't know what is best Brian, in my RV, 12v and mains at a glance are all over the place, for me to find anything would be a nightmare . I don't think they refer to drawings :Doh:
Larry

All over is OK as long as it's accessible in a snow storm and well documented.

Simple is wonderful.

But sales people and accountants who seem to drive everything these days see cheap and flash as the primary objective. These all in one units are cheaper than separate ones, take less room and look good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
For comparison my charger and tv unit looks like this.

In case anyone is wondering the Y splitter is not standard (it makes the aft aerial socket independent of the digi box and allows for easy use of signal finder)

ATB

Stewart

Attachments

• chargerunit.jpg
    chargerunit.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If no separate switch, is it on the 10a aux supply fuse, try pulling it ?

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
All over is OK as long as it's accessible in a snow storm and well documented.

Simple is wonderful.

But sales people and accountants who seem to drive everything these days see cheap and flash as the primary objective. These all in one units are cheaper than separate ones, take less room and look good.

Which is why the best audio hi-fi units have always been separates rather than the all-in-one units beloved of Comet et al.
Same with TV's with all-in-one Freeview+dvd etc etc

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Only if the ciggy lighter is 'live' with the ignition off .. otherwise it won't work ..

Alternatively it can be connected directly to the battery with a couple of croc clips .. or for the more ambitious, fit a separate ciggy lighter just for that purpose.

:Sad: Unfortunately the ignition needs to be on and I can't disconnect the battery due to what's on-board. So I'll have to see if it's possible to run a cable from the engine compartment to the inside with the croc clips. Something else to add to my list of things to do in 2011.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So I'll have to see if it's possible to run a cable from the engine compartment to the inside with the croc clips.

How hard can that be ?

But there are already many suitable cables already in place, it's just a case of finding one. The ignition switch is once such place. But don't forget to put a fuse in line. Failing that, the radio if it can be switch on with the ignition off.

Upvote 0

marymary

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
mid wales/shrops border
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Returning newbie..
help - looking at trickle solar chargers - what wattage??? Is 1.5 enough, or 2w or 4w.......is higher any better??

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Moi aussis !

Hi Stewart took a couple of pics, this tracker is on an 09 plate , yours may be different.
The reversing camera switch is the little rocker on the extreme right

Hope this helps

Larry

This happened to me too ! A constant drain of .2 amps, Dave Newell in Telford told me about the switches and also sold me a 100 watt solar panel ! I switch both the rocker switches off when not using the MH.
Problemo solved......seemples !!!!...Happy New Year......Stephen.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Phoned the supplying dealer today, about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard "we recommend motorhomes are charged every two weeks" brilliant!!

Bit the bullet and phoned Auto Trail direct, was very pleasantly suprised by their helpfulness, put through to tech department who once we'd gone through all the obvious stuff (alarms off, radio etc) suggested pull supply fuse to EM50 unit (small interfacing unit which on a AT is mounted on floor behind driver seat) Apparently this will eliminate any power drains between Fiat system and habitation.

Anyone tried this or have any suggestions negative or otherwise? and which of the fuses, guessing 8 & 9. Time now limited as it goes into storage for 30 -32 days on Monday (10th)

Stewart :Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Would this keep the battery topped up?

Link Removed

Thoughts or suggestions welcomed

ATB

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
help - looking at trickle solar chargers - what wattage??? Is 1.5 enough, or 2w or 4w.......is higher any better??
Hi Marymary, not even worth plugging in unless you live on the sun :roflmto:

battery drain will probably be higher than those sizes will produce.
a 50watt panel, in winter, may just about keep it charged.

50 watts will, theoretically, give 4.2 amps on the brightest of sunny days but in reality will be nearer to 2.5 to 3 amps.
in winter it may be as low as 0.5 to 1 amp.

4watt will, theoretically, give 0.3 amps on the brightest of sunny days but in reality will be nearer to 0.2 amps.(200ma)
in winter it may be as low as 0.05 to 0.1 amps.(50ma to 100ma)

Upvote 0

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Probably a daft question

I know this is probably a daft question but have you checked the battery out? if might be faulty or have a dead cell etc! Most batteries should last weeks,months, even in cold condiditons .About two years ago we replaced two batteries on my forklift ,a week later both flat ,recharged checked eveything over a week or so flat again, checked batteries,both heavy duty type one was faulty ,drawing power from other.Replaced it under warranty and they have never been re charged this year at all,apart from when engine is running on alternator. Alan

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
flat battery

Hi,had same problem with my Arapaho last year,did as scotjimland said bought a battery isolater fitted to battery it had a knurled know to twist to break the connection.No problems after that.
I did talk with guy at Car radio services in Perth and he told me that they get loads of motorhomes from Perthshire Caravans.What they do is disconnect the permanant live feed to the radio to stop any power drain. To confirm this switch radio off if power there a small power light will show.
He advised me to do the above as it is far easier and cheaper than having to remover radio from dash to disconnect a wire and a plus is that when leaving van behind the knurled nut can be carried in your pocket so no one can steal it.

Upvote 0
Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
Flat Battery

Evening all,

Went to pick up my Autotrail Tracker this morning after 34 days in storage, found the engine battery totally flat, not a glimmer even the fiat display (clock) was blank

Took some time to get it jump started. The alarm was not set when it went into storage so no battery drain there, I'm at a loss as to why it should have happened. Battery was fully charged on the day it went into storage which is 30 miles from home so it had a good run.

MH first registered 1st Sept this year, so battery should be good, we made sure everything was off prior to leaving it.

Totally perplexed so I ask you my learned peers what could be causing it, I work away from home at sea for 4-5 weeks at a stretch so MH needs to stand for a month without charging.

Many thanks in anticipation

Stewart
Hi i had the same problem with mine in, As i have a solar panel i fitted a Battery Charge Manager and this has sloved it (I had a new Battery Sept 2010 and this went flat)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi i had the same problem with mine in, As i have a solar panel i fitted a Battery Charge Manager and this has sloved it (I had a new Battery Sept 2010 and this went flat)

What is a Battery Charge Manager, is it a DIY. Independent or Dealer fit?

Many thanks

Stewart

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Guidance needed, I purchased a small 12w solar panel yesterday from Maplins to help alleviate battery discharge problem :- Link Removed

Have wired it directly to engine battery (small terminal crimps) with the +ve through a 5 amp fuse and the cable through a double pole switch so both sides can be isolated, this is a rush job and temporary till I get home next leave and can make a more professional job, MH goes into storage for 30 days tomorrow.

My question is will I need to purchase and fit a battery manager or will the 12w panel just keep abreast or slow down battery discharge? Don't want to overcharge and damage the battery but I'm thinking this time of year panel will not provide continuous maximum rated output.

On checking panel discharge unloaded with it facing North in shade this afternoon output was 17.65 volts this dropped to 12.55 once on battery load, so quite impressed. Solar panel is on top of dash raised at rear so at about 40 degs to windscreen.

Stewart :Eeek:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It will certainly help maintain charge, but do not expect wonders - see how it goes!

Most modern vehicles will drain batteries as there are so many electronics buzzing away when not in use - clocks, alarms, immobilisers etc. Generally a battery will last 3 weeks or so without being touched.

Also, recent cold weather would have compounded the problem, as cold reduces battery efficiency by around 80% if left unused. Leave a torch outside on a cold night, and it will be flat in the morning - demonstartes this well.

To work out exactly what you require, you need to work out how many amps your vehicle uses to do nothing (ie run the clocks etc) - then match this with the output of a solar panel to be a little more than what is being drained.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
It will certainly help maintain charge, but do not expect wonders - see how it goes!

Most modern vehicles will drain batteries as there are so many electronics buzzing away when not in use - clocks, alarms, immobilisers etc. Generally a battery will last 3 weeks or so without being touched.

Also, recent cold weather would have compounded the problem, as cold reduces battery efficiency by around 80% if left unused. Leave a torch outside on a cold night, and it will be flat in the morning - demonstartes this well.

To work out exactly what you require, you need to work out how many amps your vehicle uses to do nothing (ie run the clocks etc) - then match this with the output of a solar panel to be a little more than what is being drained.

Auto Trail and others quote approx 0.2 amp continual discharge. As my original post I'm just trying to combat complete battery discharge whilst in storage, so am experimenting.

Many thanks

Stewart

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
A fully charged battery in good condition will last many weeks in cold weather..

To prevent a recurrence remove the earth strap from the battery, a two minute job, or fit a battery disconnect switch which is fitted in place of the regular battery post clamp.

one example..

Link Removed

Do remember your radio code if you do this.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back