Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Bought a new battery IN 2014 from a respected dealer for my Ford Transit Burstner A645. on two occasions in the Winter period the battery has gone Flat. Question : Charging the Habitation batteries on hook up does the charging up charge the Engine battery , I have two 110amp Lion Habitation batteries and three weeks ago had hook up for two days which replenished the charge on the mains panel ... However not sure if this meant the Engine battery... Any replies or info would be greatly appreciated

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
You could try the parasitic drain test I linked to in this thread for the battery to see if anything is amiss http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/solar-batteries-wild-camping.124933/ My Carado only charges the vehicle battery on 'float' on EHU, IE its kept at the charge it started at at the time of connecting the EHU but is not charged up any further, Sorry can't help specifically with Burstner, but this should be in the manual?

OP
OP
DAVWOD

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Thanks, i'm fairly new to Motorhoming but aware that batteries lose a certaim amont of charge when not in use

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
we had similar problems with our PVC, we had 1 120w solar on the roof and 1 hab battery, never ran short on power for the hab while wild camping, however the engine battery was going flat after shorter and shorter periods of time - right upto the point where i fitted a battery master, must admit it was the best ÂŁ50 i have spent, as soon as any drain is took from the engine battery the hab battery tops it up with a trickle charge and is indicated by a red flickering light on the battery master, once the engine battery is up to full charge the light turnes green, obviously the hab battery was always more or less fully charged via the solar panel, and to us with our set up this was the perfect way to go !

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The ebox in my Burstner trickle charges the cab battery when on hook up. If we've been off hook up for a few days and the cab battery has slumped (playing the radio, alarm and a half amp drain I found on a spliced in 5 amp fuse under the steering column which I disconnected and still don't know what it fed etc), when you turn the ignition on, if you watch the hab display, the cab battery can be seen "siphoning" power from the hab batteries to top itself up, I've seen as much as 9 amps transfering. We've since fitted a 150 w solar panel via a Schaudt solar controller which charges the hab and cab batteries, I'm not sure in what proportions though. The only time I use ehu now is if it's included in the pitch price or if I'm running the fridge on the drive prior to setting off.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not every van has a dual charger and automatically does both batteries...
Even some that do charge both may have settings on the control panel that need to be set right.
A lot of modern vans have small battery drain that you dont realise, alarm and radio are just 2. Plus if you have a rear view camera, sometimes that can be live and the IR lights can use up a battery in next to no time.

Fingers crossed. someone with same van will have more info.. Have you searched for a Burstners owners club.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GEOMAR

Free Member
Mar 22, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Get a decent size solar panel and a dual battery controller and you will not have flat battery again as hab and engine batteries are charged at the same time
GEOMAR

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I don't have your van but do have the mk7 transit..2008..
Mine is fitted with two vehicle batteries.. A start and auxiliary..
Without that aux battery the start battery is coping with all the paracitic loads of alarm radio central locking etc. .
You can get a second battery fitted and a fairly easy job if the wiring is in place... you would have to remove the drivers seat and check to see if there is wiring in place tor the relay which controls the linking of the two batteries..
Not sure whether your start charges on hook up but again easily checked by monitoring the voltage with a meter...
If it doesn't there are various options as mentioned above..
You mention lithium ion as habitation batteries... It's unlikely the charger for those would be suitable for the lead acid start battery anyway...but others im sure will advise on that..
Ta andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back