Flapping awning (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
Since 2016
While we were away this week we decided to put out our Dometic 4.5m awning with guys attached. There was a reasonable breeze blowing but nothing excessive. Despite trying to tension the awning it still flapped about in an alarming way.

Does anybody have any good ideas for stopping/reducing this?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Presumably you know to wind it back in half a turn or so to tension the canvas?

it might be as simple as that

if not take it as a prompt to put it away (y)(y)

an expensive solution might be to do as we have just done, invest in a full safari room, this on a Thule Omnistore at least comes with a front to back brace that clamps on to the edge of the canvas, we have decided to use those even if not putting the whole room up, keeps the whole awning more stable and definitely reduces the flapping (y)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Do you use an awning rafter? Makes a huge difference to our awning

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The extender pole clips in on mine near the centre, I then stretch the pole to tension the awning. There is a tool on sale for doing this.
However, I think it is the direction you are facing in relation to the wind. Personally I fit my Wind Blocker which seems to lift the wind over the awning rather than going under it.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
By the sounds of it you need an awning Rafter from Fiamma, under £30,

Then read the instructions

OP
OP
Shropshire lad
Jan 16, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
Since 2016
The extender pole clips in on mine near the centre, I then stretch the pole to tension the awning. There is a tool on sale for doing this.
However, I think it is the direction you are facing in relation to the wind. Personally I fit my Wind Blocker which seems to lift the wind over the awning rather than going under it.

Thanks for this.

Are there fixing points on the van and front rail? Can you give me more info re the tool on sale and your wind blocker?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Fit a rafter at each end, one in the middle doesn't stop the flapping as it causes a see-saw effect.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We get out our quite heavy tool box from the garage and tie the middle fitting of the Fiamma awning (the one that locks it in stored position) to the tool box handle.

Utilise what you have rather than buying more equipment.;)

Geoff

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Presumably you know to wind it back in half a turn or so to tension the canvas?

it might be as simple as that

if not take it as a prompt to put it away (y)(y)

an expensive solution might be to do as we have just done, invest in a full safari room, this on a Thule Omnistore at least comes with a front to back brace that clamps on to the edge of the canvas, we have decided to use those even if not putting the whole room up, keeps the whole awning more stable and definitely reduces the flapping (y)
As DavidG58 said you need to tension your awning fabric. Look for a similar locking mechanism on the front awning box (the one which winds out) which you lock into place and then wind the fabric back in until the fabric tensions.
IMG_0016.JPG

DerekLK

Free Member
Oct 25, 2017
Funster No
Did you ever find a way of fixing this rafter pole. I’ve got the same but no instructions

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Our awning is a fiamma 4.5 and the anchor points are in the centre ,top and bottom .Not sure they do a lot of good.You need to be careful not to put too much pressure on the rafter pole as over a period of time it can put a slight bend on the front rail which stops it fitting tight when wound into the closed position .As David G said a full Safari tent is the answer ,fully enclosing your awning, although we only fit ours when going for a minimum week.Although lessons can be learned by not securing your awning adequately.Being there got the tee shirt lol.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
you can get spring loaded poles from lillypad but not cheap or make your own from 2 adjustable clothes props just fit a spring down the inside and a length of hosepipe to set up the tension .

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
The reality of it is that the awnings that are fitted to most motorhomes are no more than sunshades and in no shape or form can they withstand any thing more than a light breeze.
When we were at the NEC last week we bought a proper awning because we are fed up of winding it out and constantly winding it back in again.
Brian & Jo

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back