Fixings in garage walls (1 Viewer)

May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Laika 709 A Class
I want to fit some Fiamma storage straps and hanging compartments to the garage walls of my Laika m/h. However am very wary of the lightweight walls and looking for ways and means for fixing them. Any ideas, recommended tips or solutions to do so other than self tapping screws, plugs etc ? Thanks in advance

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
To distribute the load can you fit battens right across the garage wall and fixed at several points into the more robust supports e.g. the frame behind the lightweight wall covering? The storage straps and hanging stuff can be attached to the batten.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I built a light timber frame inside our garage, that only fixes in one place to an overhead timber. By placing a frame on the back wall with bracing pieces across to the front wall, top and bottom, the framework becomes very stable without being attached to the walls at all

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I built a light timber frame inside our garage, that only fixes in one place to an overhead timber. By placing a frame on the back wall with bracing pieces across to the front wall, top and bottom, the framework becomes very stable without being attached to the walls at all
I was thinking that would be a good way to do it earlier but without knowing what the inside of the garage looks like I wasn't sure how practical it would be as some garages have 'sticky out' bits that could make it difficult. Have you got any photos?

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Back Panel up against back of garage wall, made of timber slats and ply board panels

back wall.jpg

Back panel to the left and the side panel, at the end of the garage which keeps the back panel up against the back wall

back&side.jpg

Over door piece that keeps the front end of the panel up against the back wall

over door.jpg

And Over Door piece at other end

over door2.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Clickem I like the use of the basket vertically instead of horizontally, good idea.

One thing I've done in ours it to use a length of round rain water down pipe fastened horizontally into which I can slot long handled items which can be easily accessed.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
(Glue and) screw, so long as you only 'hang' from the screws rather than 'pull'.
Screws don't shear easily, so you don't need many, but they won't grip on lightweight material.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Why not just buy a set plastic drawers and put all the rammel in there.
Much tidier and cheap as chips.
Fasten a bungy strap around them if you must.

Yep, they're very handy, tough and light weight which is what I use in my wardrobe.

CIMG2174.JPG

OP
OP
T
May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Laika 709 A Class
Thanks to all, really like the panelling option braced against opposite walls etc. Great ideas, many thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I got round the need to permanently fix storage shelves etc when we had the Globecar PVC as I used an old card table with the legs cut down a bit to form an upper layer and this worked perfectly for us. It was easily removed so we could use the space for moving other things (lawnmowers, ladders etc when we were doing up our rental bungalow).

Underbed storage.png

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
This sounds very interesting and just what I need to do I think , and chance of some pictures please .many thanks wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back