Fixing habitation door remote locking wiring-confusion. Help, please! (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I was given some helpful advice (Jaws and others) on a thread about fixing snapped wires preventing the operation of central locking of habitation doors. I'm now in Portugal and it's warm enough for me to contemplate a repair.

However, I have become quite confused over the wiring. I took the door cover off and the wires to the lock solenoid are brown, blue and green. They then disappear into the sealed area of the door. Coming out of the door at the bottom are blue, green, (both snapped) brown, red and white wires. ( If you increase the size of the photo, you can just see the snapped green and blue wires). They then go into the door frame area. See
IMG_5327.JPG
j
IMG_5328.JPG
photo 1.

Then, from under the van, looking upwards, there is a sleeve with 4 wires: brown, white, red and green. These are then spliced to two wires; a white and what looks like a yellow and green (possibly yellow and black) and they disappear into the floor of the van. See photo 2.

So what is confusing me is that the blue wire from the lock, snapped at the door doesn't seem to have a 'mate' to connect to with the sleeved brown, white, red and green. To what do I connect the blue wire from the door? Sorry if I haven't explained this too well. Hopefully the photos are some help.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I need to get some plastic sleeving to cover the exposed wires when I do find out which wire the blue connects to. Any idea of a good place to source such electrical odds and sods in Portugal (near Armacao de Pera preferably).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
I would first connect the green wire and see if it works, the blue may not have been connected to anything.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Sorry but the pics have lost me!
Dont forget that the object is to get it working again, probably by following the colours. It might not make sense but presumably it did once
Have another sit (in the sun) and think it through
Good luck
Mike
Big diy type store Leroy Merlin at algarve shopping was/is good for electrical diy stuff its on the north side of N125

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would ignore the red and white as they don't go to the solenoid. It would appear they used a five core cable rather than three core.

The solinoid will have either a live and two earth returns or an earth and two lives..... One wire to lock the solenoid and the other to switch it the other way or a common live and two switched earth's (from the locking module) rather than two lives.
It doesn't need two lives and two earth's.

Remake the blue, green and brown.... The worst that can happen is a blown fuse.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I would ignore the red and white as they don't go to the solenoid. It would appear they used a five core cable rather than three core.

The solinoid will have either a live and two earth returns or an earth and two lives..... One wire to lock the solenoid and the other to switch it the other way or a common live and two switched earth's (from the locking module) rather than two lives.
It doesn't need two lives and two earth's.

Remake the blue, green and brown.... The worst that can happen is a blown fuse.
Hi poppajohn- had a go today and managed to join the green wire. However, you say to "Remake the blue green and brown...". But the brown is not snapped. To what do I remake the blue wire to? It's snapped at the base of the door but there is no corresponding blue wire anywhere near the other wires ( as in the photos). So still a bit perplexed. And see my coincidental thread re the fob stopping working in locki gand opening the van doors below:

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Have you taken the cover off the door to see what coloured wires are connected to the solenoid?

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry pete4x4-a flakey internet signal where we are. Yes, there are three wires going to the solenoid: blue green and brown.
Now I've got the cover off, only one of the white press stud thingies is still intact.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When you connected the green wire did the lock or unlock function work
Yes. When the green wire was connected, the actuator worked but, because the plastic catch holding the rod had broken, it wouldn't actually operate the lock. Then the key fob stopped working and thinking there may be a "cause and effect" I disconnected the green again. Now not sure why the fob's stopped working as the battery's good.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
There's a good hardware store in Amacao de pera right next to the covered market not far from the aire. I think it's about 2 or 3 streets in from the sea front. They have a good assortment of odds and ends and might have what you need.
If you need a shroud for the wiring once you've got it working, then buy a short length of small bore clear flexible plastic tubing from the hardware store and use scissors to cut it into a spiral, this can then be wrapped onto the wires after they've been joined. This is what I used when I repaired our door wiring about 3 months ago and it's holding up really well.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
you Need to workout with the green wire connected if it locked and unlocked. If so then the blue is probably superfluous, particularly as there is no other wire to connect it too.
it’s more than likely coincidence or over use of the key fob that stopped it working. Use the key in the ignition and then lock it with the key. That should reset it. Control locking systems will turn off if over used

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
There's a good hardware store in Amacao de pera right next to the covered market not far from the aire. I think it's about 2 or 3 streets in from the sea front. They have a good assortment of odds and ends and might have what you need.
If you need a shroud for the wiring once you've got it working, then buy a short length of small bore clear flexible plastic tubing from the hardware store and use scissors to cut it into a spiral, this can then be wrapped onto the wires after they've been joined. This is what I used when I repaired our door wiring about 3 months ago and it's holding up really well.
Thanks for this. We're now in Denia but, whilst in Armacao, I did by some plastic spiral cable tidy that will wrap around the spliced cables.
Edit: I can't finish the door repair now because of the broken lock. We will have to wait till we're back in the uk to source a new locking mechanism. Haven't yet found a replacement on the internet, so it doesn't look promising. ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
pete4x4-I'm relieved to hear the info re the fob. Yes, it was too sudden for the battery and, as I've said,it read 3.23 volts with the multimeter. Just to be clear on resetting the fob, you put it in the ignition, turn it on but not start the van, then remove the key and use it in the driver's door lock ( there isn't a slot in the passenger door) and that's it? Many thanks for the info.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, Just noticed you have a Bailey so it will be the Peugeot cab, when my Central locking gives up the red led on the lock button on the dash flashes red quite quickly. I can also clear it by locking and un locking with those two buttons on the dash.
Using the key probably does the same thing just puts the central locking into a known state.

My apologies for not recognising the Bailey bit, it is definitely only two wires needed on the door so the blue is not required.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, Just noticed you have a Bailey so it will be the Peugeot cab, when my Central locking gives up the red led on the lock button on the dash flashes red quite quickly. I can also clear it by locking and un locking with those two buttons on the dash.
Using the key probably does the same thing just puts the central locking into a known state.

My apologies for not recognising the Bailey bit, it is definitely only two wires needed on the door so the blue is not required.
No need for apologies and thanks for confirming that only two wires are required.
Whilst the red led does flash on the lock symbol on the dash when you lock the van by pushing that button (and the same applies to the unlock button when pushed i.e. it's red led flashes) it doesn't seem to 'clear' the system so that the fob works.
I've tried locking the van with the key in the lock and this locks and unlocks the Bailey fine. It's just the key fob which seems to have given up the ghost!
Thanks for your suggestions and advice. If a new battery (being bought today) doesn't make a difference, I'll wait until we set off in a few days and see whether running the engine and physically moving the van fixes it. ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back