Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I'd rather the obscenely wealthy shouldered a bit more of the burden myself.

Driving a modern truck at the speed limits on our A roads is i.e. 40 MPH on most of the A1 Newcastle to Berwick, is not feasible so I think asking for fines to be increased to pay for 'victims of crime' is OTT.

Perhaps a better example, I can legally drive my Sprinter at 60 MPH on that road, an identical pick up can only legally drive at 50 MPH.

When an element of fairness regards speeding and parking laws is introduced then I would say fine them for that, certainly not to cover up financially for totally unrelated crimes. Not exactly justice in my view.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Indeed it has and needs repealed/amended ..

1. Increase tax, pay direct to NHS coffers
2. Reduce license hours, drastically.
3. Ban sales from grocers and garages
4. Ban outdoor drinking in public, lock up those who flout the law.
5. Close pubs/clubs/bars that sell alcohol to drunks
6. Ban cut price drinks, happy hours etc
7. Stiffer penalties for drunk and disorderly
8. Ban all alco-pops ,
9. Ban all advertising
10. yes and EDUCATE our kids .. show them the results of alcohol abuse/misuse, take them to rehab centres, show them a diseased liver, show them it's not cool.

Harsh drastic measures but will ANY Of this happen ??

No .. as already said, there are far too many vested interests, MPs with shares and Lords with directorships in breweries and alcohol beverage companies.

2) then even more pubs/clubs will have to close reducing the governments revenue even further.

4) and where does the money come from to keep them in prison ? currently around £32000 per year.

5) its already illegal to serve a drunk.....so wheres the problem.
you cant legally buy drink if you're already drunk.....how did you get drunk in the first place.
'cos the law is already overlooked and not upheld. why would a law stating the pub will be closed down be any different.
refer to 2) above...

8) wouldnt make any difference....a bottle of cheap vodka and a bottle of fruit cordial. then make it as strong as you like.

as you may have quessed, i'm in an argumentative mood today:roflmto:

Last edited:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think the £15.00 will go towards the £70,000 per day cost for the plice hiring cars which according to aol yesterday is what they spent in the last three years not bad eh:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

plasma

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
I agree it's not fair to the old gent nor to any other 'responsible' drinker, but is it fair that the NHS is now on it's knees because of alcohol or is it fair to the mother of a daughter mowed down by a drunk driver .. or a family slaughtered by a drunk driver running into the rear of the car ?

I have first hand experience of the harm and destruction it causes.. and this Gov has only exacerbated the situation by relaxing licensing hours and allowing 24/7 sales from supermakets and garages..

What was the theory ?? Relax licensing hours and people will drink sensibly ... :Doh:

+1. Plasma.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Tobacco is taxed at a far higher rate to try to stop people smoking, so why not alcohol?

Tobacco is bad for your heralth, no matter how much you smoke, if alcohol is drunk sensibly then this is not the case.

Indeed it has and needs repealed/amended ..

1. Increase tax, pay direct to NHS coffers
2. Reduce license hours, drastically.
3. Ban sales from grocers and garages
4. Ban outdoor drinking in public, lock up those who flout the law.
5. Close pubs/clubs/bars that sell alcohol to drunks
6. Ban cut price drinks, happy hours etc
7. Stiffer penalties for drunk and disorderly
8. Ban all alco-pops ,
9. Ban all advertising
10. yes and EDUCATE our kids .. show them the results of alcohol abuse/misuse, take them to rehab centres, show them a diseased liver, show them it's not cool.

1. More tax on alcohol, yea more pub closures - same effect as banning smoking in pubs
2. 24 hour licensing works in Europe, why not here? ah because there is no education about alcohol. As a kid we had lessons about what smoking does, did we have the same for alcohol?
3. So people can't buy drink to drink at home or in their motorhome? We would have to find a pub or off license that is actually still open.
4. many councils already have bylaws banning drinking in the streets, or are you refering to continental style bars?
5. as stated it is already illegal.
6,7 and 8. agreed
9. Not sure this makes any difference, what would be next, pubs to keep all alcohol out of site in the same way newsagents will have to with cigarettes.
10. Agreed.

We are already in a Nanny state, we do not need any more nanny laws about what we can and can't do.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
raise the excise duty on alcohol to pay for the crippling burden it's placing on the NHS .. say 50p per unit to go direct to the NHS

New years eve alone cost the NHS ( you and me ) £21million.

Jim, But won't an increase on alcohol duty cause more Booze trips to Calais :ROFLMAO:

Mick

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
In the case of alcohol abuse legislation has failed. What we need are greater resources directed towards educating the next generation on responsible behaviour (in all facets of life) and for us to lead by example.

I agree with the education bit but frankly booze has such a hold now that it will take many years for this to have an impact on society.
If your involved in a drink related crime/disorder/ medical emergency etc you are by default guilty of wasting public resource and should pay ..... What about a sensible pedestrian alcohol limit i.e over it and you pay !

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
The education bit, up to 18 anyway, is already done; visiting speakers, rehabs, social workers, NHS....................doesn't make any difference with an awful lot. I'm afraid it's a cutural thing and one of the blights of the British society.

Don't penalise the inocent but hammer the law breakers. Section 5, £80.00 fine. I wonder how many repeat offenders we would have if it was £500. Can't pay? - will have to find room in our already overcrowded prisons - and so it will go on.

I suppose we could build more prisons with the levey :Sad:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The education bit, up to 18 anyway, is already done; visiting speakers, rehabs, social workers, NHS....................doesn't make any difference with an awful lot. I'm afraid it's a cutural thing and one of the blights of the British society.

Don't penalise the inocent but hammer the law breakers. Section 5, £80.00 fine. I wonder how many repeat offenders we would have if it was £500. Can't pay? - will have to find room in our already overcrowded prisons - and so it will go on.

At last, the voice of sanity!
Why should I and most of society pay for the uncaring few?
If levies are being raised on tv licence fines, speeding fines etc. lets have everyone paying.
Where to next: Levies on football match tickets?, sales of sweets to kids?, An extra £1 per litre on DERV? smokers and drinkers pay tax on products; tax the non smoker and non drinker? Impose a levy for NHS treament for sporting injuries?
Whilst obviously ridiculous, the concept is the same. Raise money on any pretext.
We can go on for ever.
What's lacking in modern society is the concept of responsibility for ones own actions.
Education is mamby pamby and ineffective regarding social responsibilities.
Kids are taught more about their rights than their responsibility to others.
Don't tax the majority.....punish the offender.

That's me New Year's rant over.
Happy New Year All
John.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

and the cost to the taxpayer, per prisoner, is £32000 pa...pro rata.:Eeek:

falcon

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The government are getting desparate for money they will be taxing the air we breathe soon just another labour stealth tax.

When everybody conforms and they get less and less from the fines because of the deterrent, then they will still run short of money. It is like the fags, now a lot less smokers and much less tax so money is sought from other sources. After all it is the same money going round. They giveth and taketh and giveth and taketh... the cycle goes on and on ....

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

tongue in cheek comment - prison is not for punishment but to keep us safe from the idiots that appear to be growing in number every year. I made a comment some time ago defending our youth 95% of which are brilliant and will grow up to be excellent citizens and do this country proud. It's the other 5% - I'll let people do the math for how many that represents of our 61 million population.

Drinking to excess is a real problem - another one that sucessive governments sweep under the carpet because of the revenue it brings in. It seems a poor trade off for what our NHS and the tax payer will inherit in the future.

I've always been a believer that self inflicted illness, of what ever kind, should not be funded by the NHS

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Lots of posts on here regarding alcohol related crime.
There is no such thing.
People choose to drink alcohol. If they can then not control themselves they shouldnt drink it in the first place. "I was drunk at the time" is no excuse for anything.
Crime is people, not alcohol or anything else, related.
We should not have to pay for the actions of others.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Lots of posts on here regarding alcohol related crime.
There is no such thing.
People choose to drink alcohol. If they can then not control themselves they shouldnt drink it in the first place. "I was drunk at the time" is no excuse for anything.
Crime is people, not alcohol or anything else, related.
We should not have to pay for the actions of others.

Alcohol is the nations favourite mind altering drug, even a small amount changes how people behave. It's not an excuse for crime but a major cause.. FACT not fiction.

Home Office Facts and Figures

In nearly half (45%) of all violent incidents, victims believed offenders to be under the influence of alcohol, this figure rose to 58% in cases of attacks by people they did not know
37% of domestic violence cases involve alcohol
in nearly a million violent attacks in 2007-08, the aggressors were believed to be drunk

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Still can't imagine how me breaking a pi$$ poor speed limit justifies me giving financial support to victims of violence though.

Do the authorities now consider themselves to be latter day Robin Hoods?:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back