Delilah66

Free Member
Apr 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
About to buy one
Hi guys
We have had two motorhomes over the past 8 years
We are now about to purchase a motor home for the two of us not the children , hurray!!!!
We are interested in two, one with a fixed island bed and one with a transverse fixed bed.

like the one with the transverse bed as the kitchen area is bigger and the lounge area too

concerned the transverse will drive us bonkers as don’t have the ease of accessing it from both sides. Looking to rent the model to try if first but the model is not available .

I know it’s personal choice but any thoughts would be helpful

thank you
Julia

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A transverse bed will give you a nice big garage but can be a pain to live with. Island beds look good but access to them is often tight and unless they are in a very big van the garage space is compromised.
Our last two vans have been twin singles at the rear, which gives easy access to the beds and a huge garage, it's the most popular layout in Europe for good reason.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
We’ve
Hi guys
We are now about to purchase a motor home for the two of us not the children , hurray!!!!
We are interested in two, one with a fixed island bed and one with a transverse fixed bed.

like the one with the transverse bed as the kitchen area is bigger and the lounge area too

concerned the transverse will drive us bonkers as don’t have the ease of accessing it from both sides. Looking to rent the model to try if first but the model is not available .

thank you
Julia
We've had two transverse vans for the reasons you state above, bigger lounge and kitchen plus huge garage fo bikes n stuff. I’m the one more likely to get up in the night so I sleep nearest the steps. Not bee an issue for us, the pro’s outweigh the cons but maybe that will change in the future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi guys

thank you
Julia
Rental is a good idea. We rented four before buying. I thought I wanted a garage, I don’t. We did buy an island bed. Best decision we made re buying. We don’t sit inside much so wanted a proper bed.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi guys

thank you
Julia

Julia

Welcome on your first day on MotorhomeFun. I hope you will stay with as as paid-up members.

We have a transverse bed which has been fine for 10 years but as we get older it gets a bit more difficult Basia my OH has never wanted to sleep on the inside and as it is I that usually gets up for a P in the night I have to climb over her. Fortunately she hardly wakes up. She has agreed to try sleeping on the inside next trip. I relate this as examples of practical considerations.

We have thought of changing to an island bed, but it would have to be one high enough for the same height garage as our current Arto. As you identify the island layout does cut down on the kitchen and living areas, particularly as they became more popular at the same time as separate shower and toilet cubicles, which all squeezes the living space. I We are happy with out combined shower/toilet and large living/kitchen area.

It seems that nowadays if one wants an island bed and large living area one has to go for 9m - not what we want for aire/wildcamping.

No easy compromises.

Geoff

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
We have a French bed which is plenty big enough for us, and if I need to, I am able to shuffle out the bottom end without waking her ladyship, who wakes me up at least 3 times a night when she answers the call.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have French bed and end up like a beached whale when trying to reach over and make it. Sometimes, now that I'm old, I think b*gger it. I'll just stay here till tonight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back