Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

Just wondering ho many of you are happy with your MH fixed bed and would not have a MH without one ? How many of you do not have one and are you quite happy making your bed up every night? We have a fixed bed and are very happy with it . A friend is in the process of deciding on the layout of his first MH and is quite interested in a van without a fixed bed .

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I've had both and I have to say I love the fixed bed ....mines has 2 of them and they're made up constantly with bedding etc so it's always ready to go

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I personalty would not entertain a van with no fixed bed. I like a snooze when I feel like it without having to do a jigsaw puzzle first.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Fixed bed every time and ideally not one tucked in a corner where putting on a clean fitted sheet is a real chore

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i like a fixed bed over the garage . but like a day bed seating as well . luckily have two 6ft seating in mine ideal.
have had non fixed bed before but on a long trip you get fed up of making the bed . ok for weekends or short breaks .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Having started off in our first MH making up the bed each night, we now have a MH with a fixed bed at the back and are far happier with it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Definitely fixed bed for us. Fixed island bed for preference so no climbing over the other person to get up.

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
we had to make up our bed in our last van but now we have a fixed bed, and would not be without it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A friend is in the process of deciding on the layout of his first MH and is quite interested in a van without a fixed bed .

If the fixed bed is "downstairs" you pay a huge price in floor area for a facility you use 33% of your time. So for the other 66% of your time you either suffer poor comfort or drive a much bigger vehicle.

Our Luton bed solves this problem.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
i like a fixed bed over the garage . but like a day bed seating as well . luckily have two 6ft seating in mine ideal.
have had non fixed bed before but on a long trip you get fed up of making the bed . ok for weekends or short breaks .
That's like mine I've one fixed over the rear garage another drop down in the cab and a 6 ft L shaped lounge in the middle that can make up to a 3rd bed but never use it ...best layout I've found to suit me so far

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Ours is above the cab. At first we said ,"there's no way are we sleeping up there" But once we tried we found how comfi it was and haven't wanted to sleep anywhere since. No making of beds, just get in.

Wyn

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I dismissed the idea of a fixed bed as it takes up too much floor area. My second van will definitely have a fixed bed! As others have said 'somewhere to have a snooze whenever you want' is a luxury I would now really like(y)

Something like a Hymer B524 would suit me fine.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We now have a van with fixed beds. Previously we had a U-shaped lounge that had to be made into beds at night. It wasn't so much the making up of the beds that annoyed me but it was where to store the lounge back cushions once the beds were made up - the only place that was big enough for them was the shower. Fixed bed(s) for me everytime now.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Another vote for the over cab bed, we wanted to keep the u lounge but hated making the bed so changed vans from low profile to luton, love it(y)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Rear lounge = 2 singles. 2 minutes to take cushions off, store them on passenger seat for night. I defy anyone to get in through there at night without waking us up. Well worth it to us to have somewhere to lounge in the day without having the space used up in the day with a bed.
We couldn't take sitting up at the dining table all day.
To have 2 lounging sofas and a fixed bed would mean a van too long for us to get along with.
Also mean the weight would go up, we can't go to more than 3.5t.
Horses for courses I reckon.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Looking at u-shaped rear lounge than coverts to a large double either way or two singles. If we need a quick nap in the afternoon, we will simply lie down. Our intention is not to make up beds, just use duvalay sleeping bags. I have looked at many fixed bed configurations and I didn't like them, not big enough, corner cut off, climbing over partner (careful). But, each to their own and everyone will have their own good reasons for their choice.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Rear lounge = 2 singles. 2 minutes to take cushions off, store them on passenger seat for night. I defy anyone to get in through there at night without waking us up. Well worth it to us to have somewhere to lounge in the day without having the space used up in the day with a bed.
We couldn't take sitting up at the dining table all day.
To have 2 lounging sofas and a fixed bed would mean a van too long for us to get along with.
Also mean the weight would go up, we can't go to more than 3.5t.
Horses for courses I reckon.

same for me, U shaped at rear, can be left made up as bed if required best of both worlds

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
we have a fixed bed but the next 1 we buy will be a island bed i am fed up with linda going for a pee at night then climber over me and most times i get a drip on me head :D:LOL::)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We now have a van with fixed beds. Previously we had a U-shaped lounge that had to be made into beds at night. It wasn't so much the making up of the beds that annoyed me but it was where to store the lounge back cushions once the beds were made up - the only place that was big enough for them was the shower. Fixed bed(s) for me everytime now.

We just lay ours on the floor at side of bed..no problem at all. used to stand them up at end of van and they were a nuisance then. Had fixed bed but had to put up with small lounge. only takes a couple of mins to mske beds up..BUSBY:)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I started with a fixed bed, but wouldn't have another.

My rear lounge is big enough for me to stretch out and have a nap if I want one.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
we have a fixed bed but the next 1 we buy will be a island bed i am fed up with linda going for a pee at night then climber over me and most times i get a drip on me head :D:LOL::)

You would not have complained years ago...BUSBY:D

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Fixed bed, but it does take up an enormous amount of space. We have a fixed bed in the rear and a drop down at the front. As there are only two of us we are perhaps over provided. Wouldn't want to make up a bed though. Island bed is good but then you start to sacrifice a proper washroom in a lot of layouts. I don't like the idea of a shower in the bedroom.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It depends on the size of the MH and if the bed is not fixed how easy it is to put up. In our 6m long van having a fixed bed is not really an option, although there are some makes which somehow manage this - Globecar are one I think but from the floor plans I have seen this makes for a very small living area.

The bed/beds in ours (it can make a double or two singles) are very easy to put up. Both mattresses have stretch covers on them permanently but only one needs to be covered by a blanket during the day as the other folds against the wall so is protected. To deploy the beds I lift a bolt and slide out one of the beds and then unhook a strap to lower the second bed in place. It takes no more than a minute. Duvets and pillows pulled down from the storage over the cab and that's it. Very quick and easy. A fixed bed would of course be even easier but we like the small MH so the minute or so spent each evening setting up our bed is not a hardship.

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
:)Fixed bed for us
our last van didn't have one as was really lumpy when all cushion pushed together

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We just lay ours on the floor at side of bed..no problem at all. used to stand them up at end of van and they were a nuisance then. Had fixed bed but had to put up with small lounge. only takes a couple of mins to mske beds up..BUSBY:)
No room - the floor at the side of our beds is always taken up by the dogs.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One reason we were thinking of changing our van before Asda forced us into it was that we were sick of making up the bed and dismantling it each day.

As regards space, because our Burstner cab seats swivel and those in the Autoquest didn't we have about 8 feet of more usable space for an extra 4 feet of vehicle length - more than enough to cope with the size of the fixed bed (y)

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the time it takes to straighten out the covers on most fixed bed layouts.

The bed in our motorhome is visible during the day, and makes the interior look very untidy, unless it is remade, ready for use.
I find that this easily takes as much time as making up the bed in our previous van, although, having said that, the fixed bed is great for my afternoon nap.

Mick H

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back