Fixed bed or no fixed bed (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I will admit to 10 mpg on lpg but accounting for fuel cost converts to close to 20 mpg in our RV !!!

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
keep it short

Our upstairs bedroom drops out of the roof in a little less than 5 seconds.

We have a 2004 Hymer Exsis which is 5.5 metres long. We can take it in towns and park in normal parking spots; admittedly we hang over tad on the front and the back sometimes.

All those who drag an extra 1.5 metres around with them have the added problem of parking in places that are only really intended for cars.

We do a lot of exploring and sometimes go down lanes that we ought to leave well alone. At our length we get forgiven. If you are longer than us you don't easily get forgiven for exploratory mistakes.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Talking of beds, did anyone see the bed layout on a M/H at the recent NEC show. It lowered from the ceiling on straps and rested on top of the lounge area.?

I don't think this was a concept vehicle but a production unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Talking of beds, did anyone see the bed layout on a M/H at the recent NEC show. It lowered from the ceiling on straps and rested on top of the lounge area.?

Getting quite common on the german models - dethleffs have that arrangement as well on some models. Maximises beds and storage i suppose!

The fixed bed depends on how many people there are using the motorhome, versus the age of the people and the size of the vehicle.

Ideal for a couple, as you will not be as cramped as a family, most couples are elderly, however, so they must consider licence restrictions at 70 before purchase.

Also size has to be taken into consideration - to have similar space of a 20ft motorhome, you will be heading 26ft plus - in which case puts you firmly into commercial recovery category, restricts locations in certain areas, and adds problems parking in supermarkets whilst touring. All these things are small niggles, but matter to some people.

It is about weighing up pros and cons! Globebus has the best happy medium with a rear u-shape lounge, and fair space - all in 20ft odd of vehicle - you can leave the lounge made up as a bed, as there is a dinette that you can utilise as a lounge.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Our van is just over 7 metres but I have never ever bought a parking ticket for it. That thing on the back helps though. Everyone should have one.::bigsmile:

Link Removed

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
hobby

If it was the motorhome we looked at it was the Hobby, rear U shaped lounge the bed lowered down lockers as well at the touch of a button.
It is a current model not a concept design, sadly we thought the lounge seats were a tad to upright for us, but then again most of the german M/H`s seem to be that way.

Our autotrail Cheyenne at 24`has a rear u shaped lounge loads of open space in the day takes less that 3 mins to make up the huge bed.
We feel a fixed bed takes up just too much of the valuable space in a motorhome and is only used as a big coat hanger in the day.
What a waste of space but each to their own.
One size defintely doesn`t fit all.

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
Hi personally I like 2 singles :thumb:so that SWMBO can go to the loo without climbing over me :thumb: plus it can be made into a big double when the need arises :thumb::ROFLMAO::winky:
terry
We love our large rear bathroom, great shower and mid kitchen on our Autostratus but we have made amendments to the sleeping arangments.
A double over cab (too low and awkward to get in and out of unless you are 13) and a double in the dinette area which with a little thought and the removal of a cupboard door we have made into 2 singles and it works well for us. Yes it takes a minute or two to make up and take down but not a big problem and it does enable us to have plenty space with no clutter as everything is stored over cab. Great for wild camping (we can manage about 4 days ie; Elec and cassett). We have looked at fixed beds but we would not want to compromise on the bathroom :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On the Miller we have one of the biggest shower rooms I have seen on a C class.. In fact if anything it is more than a tad OTT .. Mind you, for a fat git like me it is really nice to be able to shower without banging elbows of sticking my bum on a cold wall when I bend down !! :ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
On the Miller we have one of the biggest shower rooms I have seen on a C class.. In fact if anything it is more than a tad OTT .. Mind you, for a fat git like me it is really nice to be able to shower without banging elbows of sticking my bum on a cold wall when I bend down !! :ROFLMAO:

We did see one at a dealer, which was a terrible design inside - really cramped. The oven door only just cleared the bathroom door, which would mean bending down and taking cooking out from the side. The rear lounge view was blocked by the loo/cupboard area, so you were isolating other passengers during travel.

We opened the bathroom door - and it was HUGE! You could have fitted another two berths in there, it was on par to a house bathroom!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We went for the Autocruise Starspirit for the U shaped lounge which gives us feet up comfort for the day and is dead easy to make into two singles at night.

We've even started leaving the toppers and duvets on all the time to give us more storage for other gear elsewhere, particularly when we had family with us in a tent on our last trip.

It makes an enormous double for those odd times we need it :whatthe:, a tad fiddly having to switch the base cushions to the opposite side to avoid the knee roll but it did sleep four of us on a very wet n windy night this week, and no, that wasn't the odd time - we had to house the grandkids for the night when the tent looked like it might go awol! :roflmto:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi we are having second thoughts on a fixed bed people say they take up to much living space in a motorhome we have a fixed bed in our tugger and love it. Not to open a can of worms but you guys have been motorhoming as log as we have been tugging so what is in your opinion is the better layout and why? Much higher management is steering towards rear washroom but I am more fixed bed. Thanks:thumb:

I have a fixed bed and a rear washroom, so both can be happy. It does encroach on the available space, but as we spend 1/3 of our time asleep, and I seem to spend most of the rest of the time in the loo this is a fair allocation.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back