Fitting your own reversing camera.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Megatrucker, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Megatrucker

Megatrucker Funster

Ratings:
    +16
    I'm wanting to fit a high level twin reversing camera but the quotes i have got are astronomic. I could fit it myself but if I drill through the rear of my 2016 Elddis Autoquest Moho it will probably invalidate the water ingress warranty.

Has anyone fitted a high level one and run the cable down the back and underneath?

There is loads of holes underneath the floor I could run the wire in.

2. RogerThat

RogerThat Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,262
    I've seen a few vans with trunking stuck on the outside, housing the cables down to the bottom. Similar to your plan I think!

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Camping Gaza

Camping Gaza Funster

Ratings:
    +1,035
    How about across the roof, and into a roof vent, like a mushroom vent or a side vent for a microwave? Take out the microwave (if you got one and look at the vents behind it. If its like mine where it sits into a top cupboard, theres two little screws that hold the door shut and it lifts, like the top cupboard next to it. Its hinged.. 3 screws hold the microwave remove and pull out. Thinking of running my solar cable into the side vent like this under the awning instead of drilling the roof

If you run cable down the back you will need to stick trunking on the surface and you will have no end of probs with it and it will look sh 1t.

How about a miniture camera from ebay and mount just under a rear window or above and run wire under the rubber, it will not do any damage.

Just some ideas, probably not doable! but let us know how you get on

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. Megatrucker

Megatrucker Funster

Ratings:
    +16
    Thats pretty much the idea. I can bolt the camera onto the cycle rack rail. Run the cable down some trunking maybe, but would look a bit dodgy going over the bumper and underneath.

5. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

Ratings:
    +765
    When I did this I used boat waterproof cable glands. Why not contact the maker telling them what you propose,if they approve job done.

• Like it Like it x 2
  6. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Ratings:
    +2,942
    If you can do it yourself do it, you will at least have the knowledge of whats been done/and done right, what you will/can do would only be the same as what a dealer will do but hell of a lot cheaper, the hardest part is doing the cable run and finding the best route... I recently took our van to a dealer for the yearly rip off Habitation checks and our warranty comes with the 5yr body water ingress, they said and found nothing about the holes i have installed (why should they if they are sealed up right) I personally think sticking trunking down the van gonna make a nice van look tacky IMHO

• Like it Like it x 2
  7. Megatrucker

Megatrucker Funster

Ratings:
    +16
    No microwave or vent but maybe a miniture one would do thro the back window if it had a small enough cable. Still a little worried about water getting in.

8. Camping Gaza

Camping Gaza Funster

Ratings:
    +1,035
    Cable entry at bottom with a drip loop on the cable would be ok, If you are handy with a soldering iron make up a bit of cable using ribbon cable, its flat, only need a bit where the cable goes into the window. Im a radio ham and run a radio set on my travels and I run co axial antenna thru my window seal all the time at the bottom.... never had any water there! cable is about 10mm round. Seals up lovely

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,652
    Fitted a twin one to my current van. Every van is different I ran the cables in the ventilation void behind the rear cupboards, along the existing trunking in the cupboards along the side of the van into the rear of the fridge area (taking care it remained fully sealed from the living area), then along the floor in the kitchen then drilled a hole through the floor to take the cables outside and along the chassis and back into the dash via the battery box. External cables sheathed in flexible conduit.

It costs a lot to have a third party fit them because it is labour intensive, took me a full day just to get the cables through the van without mounting or connecting anything.

Drilling holes will only void the warranty if they can prove any water ingress was due to your work.

• Like it Like it x 2
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,652
    A miniature one the quality will not be as good and no infrared lighting for night use and I think you can only get wide angle ones, no good if you are looking for a twin with wide & narrow angles.

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. RickT

RickT

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, I have a rear window and I'm thinking of mounting a wifi camera inside connected to interior led's and using an old 7inch tablet at the front as a monitor, no drilling as I have some gripeez stickers off ebay for fixing both camera and tablet.

12. RogerThat

RogerThat Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,262
    I've mounted a reversing camera on the inside of my (car) rear window. It works surprisingly well!

On the MH though I took the plunge and drilled a hole through the bodywork just above the camera for the wires to pass through.

Daunting does NOT cover it :LOL:

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +8,975
    Notch the lens of the high-level brake light & take the cable in there. Camera cables are normally 3 or 4 mm diameter so a notch would be unobtrusive. However if I were you I'd mount it correctly & drill & seal the holes. Whatever the dealer would like to blame you for on the warranty if what you did isn't the cause they cannot. These are nice looking cameras with concealed wiring:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311275604920?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I use only the one though for rear view & reversing - it doesn't quite see the back of the van but is still good for reversing & brilliant as rear view.

• Like it Like it x 2
  14. Megatrucker

Megatrucker Funster

Ratings:
    +16
    I could bolt a camera to the top silver rail. What about running a cable through one of the vents on the back or maybe through the black waste door???
    [​IMG]

15. Megatrucker

Megatrucker Funster

Ratings:
    +16
    I thought of notching a bit out of the high level brake light but it is very thin/not very wide.

16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,652
    You're back box will cause problems as you normally site a reversing camera high up and set it so you can see the corners of the rear bumper.
    You could fit a bullet camera in the bumper and just run the cables under the van but they are only good for checking the coast is clear. I fitted one on my last van I wouldn't bother again but it's better than nothing.

17. gradyp

gradyp

Ratings:
    +133
    How about the cameras that are on a number plate surround and then run the cable through the rear valance along the underside.

I know you said you wanted a "high" level camera , but it is a option , not expensive so worth a try , if it doesn't work not much wasted ??

18. Megatrucker

Megatrucker Funster

Ratings:
    +16
    Lenny HB, the back box has been removed but there will be a cycle on the back.
    gradyp, it could be an option but from what Ive seen the low cameras tend to get a lot of spray and dirt in the wet weather.

19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,652
    The spray is not much of a problem on a low camera but sunshine is as the camera is horizontal and as I said only good for checking it's clear behind. High mounted is the only answer for accurate reversing. With my high mounted one I can reverse up to within a couple inches of my garage door.

Bite the bullet and do the job ptoperly . You just need to plan your route through the van and triple check measurements before drilling any holes. I spent many a sleepless night planning the route through my van, then did the same for the solar cables and the sat dish.

20. andy63

andy63 Funster

Ratings:
    +15,026
    i got a new van last may and needless to say got the same line from the dealers.. you can't do this or that yourself it has to be done by an approved company etc..
    well after seeing some of the build quality, and taking delivery from the dealer with quite a few faults that should have been picked up on any pre delivery inspection i just decided to get on with it myself... if you are capable you will most probably do a better job than them as time isn't a concern for you and its how you want it done not the quickest way they can..
    first job for me was a high level twin camera system... just do it.. its your van..(y):D
    andy

• Like it Like it x 3