Fitting Spare Wheel Carrier - help please! (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I picked up a 'new' spare wheel carrier on ebay for a good price. The down side is there are no instructions and no bolts.

So I could do with a little help. Is there a guide to fitting it somewhere - I have looked but not found anything.

Also:

How does the wheel actually fit onto the carrier?

What nuts/bolts will I need?

Pics of the carrier attached
IMG_2777.JPG
IMG_2778.JPG
IMG_2779.JPG
IMG_2780.JPG

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I did the same on my previous van. Sorry, I don't know the size of the bolts.

The piece with the wire hoop bolts to the middle of the wheel well under the van. The dangly bit then takes 10 minutes to finagle through the hub of the wheel and loosely clicks in place. The larger piece is the winder point. It clamps around one of the chassis rails so the winder hole pokes out just behind the rear wheel. There are supposed to be special bolts for this piece. I didn't have them either. It doesn't have to be on particularly tight. Don't bolt it up too tight or you just crush the folded metal of the chassis rail. Just use thread lock or nylock nuts.

You need the 5-sided winding tool to go into the winder to wind the wheel up and down. It's a 'security feature'. The other end is a normal sized nut that the wheel brace can wind.

I think there's a small clear plastic window in the winder. From memory, it goes yellow when the wheel is all the way up???

Upvote 0
May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Genuine-Fiat-Ducato-Spare-Carrier-Kit-with-fitting.jpg

Don't know if this helps
You should also have the part labelled D. This is towards the front of the vehicle.
Bolts are 8mm . You will probably need some 8mm hexagonal rivnuts as there aren't usually any nuts fitted in the holes in the cross member

Patrick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Delete - sorry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I did the same on my previous van. Sorry, I don't know the size of the bolts.

The piece with the wire hoop bolts to the middle of the wheel well under the van. The dangly bit then takes 10 minutes to finagle through the hub of the wheel and loosely clicks in place. The larger piece is the winder point. It clamps around one of the chassis rails so the winder hole pokes out just behind the rear wheel. There are supposed to be special bolts for this piece. I didn't have them either. It doesn't have to be on particularly tight. Don't bolt it up too tight or you just crush the folded metal of the chassis rail. Just use thread lock or nylock nuts.

You need the 5-sided winding tool to go into the winder to wind the wheel up and down. It's a 'security feature'. The other end is a normal sized nut that the wheel brace can wind.

I think there's a small clear plastic window in the winder. From memory, it goes yellow when the wheel is all the way up???

Thanks for your reply. Most of that makes sense however - I cannot see that the section in the first picture will fit through the wheel centre hole. It's far to big. Does it not come apart somehow? Whats the spring bit for? Whats the plastic nut type bit that unscrews for?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
View attachment 532097

Don't know if this helps
You should also have the part labelled D. This is towards the front of the vehicle.
Bolts are 8mm . You will probably need some 8mm hexagonal rivnuts as there aren't usually any nuts fitted in the holes in the cross member

Patrick

Hmmm... No part D. What's that bit for?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Thanks for your reply. Most of that makes sense however - I cannot see that the section in the first picture will fit through the wheel centre hole. It's far to big. Does it not come apart somehow? Whats the spring bit for? Whats the plastic nut type bit that unscrews for?
It's a pain in the arse, but it does go through the hub at an angle. It's a real faff, especially when you're crawling around on the floor and smacking your head on the bumper.

I think the plastic thing goes through one of the lug nut holes and does up finger tight???

Upvote 0
May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, the part in the first picture will fit through the centre hole . You need to remove the plastic nut , shown bottom left of that image . Once through the hole the stud, that the plastic nut was fitted to, goes through one of the wheel nut holes and the plastic nut is refitted to secure the wheel.

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-01 at 10.48.42.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
It's a pain in the arse, but it does go through the hub at an angle. It's a real faff, especially when you're crawling around on the floor and smacking your head on the bumper.

I think the plastic thing goes through one of the lug nut holes and does up finger tight???

Hmm...does this not work with an standard alloy? (my spare is an alloy) I have just looked but there is no way that is going through the centre hole.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Hmm...does this not work with an standard alloy? (my spare is an alloy) I have just looked but there is no way that is going through the centre hole.
Maybe the alloy is different. But I didn't think it was going to go through. It took me several minutes before I figured out the angle. The wire has to be bent quite a bit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Maybe the alloy is different. But I didn't think it was going to go through. It took me several minutes before I figured out the angle. The wire has to be bent quite a bit.

I would have thought the hole will be the same size as it needs to be standard to fit the wheel hub. What might be an issue is the depth of the hole. the alloy one is couple of inches deep whereas I guess a steel will be just a few mm's?

Upvote 0
Nov 10, 2019
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
You will need a separate attachment for an alloy wheel. I will see if I can find the part no in my paperwork

Upvote 0
Nov 10, 2019
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
The part no of the kit is 1357533080. You will also need the wheel studs to fit the wheel to the adaptor kit.
I got mine from Coastal Motorhomes, the only place I could find one...
From memory you need to be aware of your PCD for your wheels. Again from memory I think the light chassis has a PCD of 118 and the maxi chassis is 132? Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I had that setup on my previous Marquis Majestic. No the most user-friendly bit of kit. I wouldn't want to be using it on the hard shoulder (remember them) with HGV's whistling past my ear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
There is a pic of the kit on the thread "fiat alloy spare wheel carrier" from Feb 5th 2020. Sorry not sure how to link it here..
Thanks for all that info. Very useful. So how does that kit fit with the wheel carrier? Do you have a pic of it in situ?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
Post#3 is an accurate pic of where the wheel carrier fits. It's behind the rear axle, unfortunately on my Chausson that is where the grey water tank is located.

Upvote 0
Nov 10, 2019
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
The alloy wheel adaptor is held on the wheel with three wheel studs. The adaptor then fits to the lifting plate that would normally go through the steel wheel. You fit the adaptor to the lifter 1st then screw to the alloy.

Attachments

• 20210903_074741.jpg
    20210903_074741.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210903_074754.jpg
    20210903_074754.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
The alloy wheel adaptor is held on the wheel with three wheel studs. The adaptor then fits to the lifting plate that would normally go through the steel wheel. You fit the adaptor to the lifter 1st then screw to the alloy.
Are these the studs? 8 Quid each?!!!! Plus £18 delivery!

Amazon product ASIN B07VVDSVF7
Are the mounting nuts/holes on the plate the same as the wheel nuts themselves? Just wondering if its cheaper to get wheel normal wheel nuts. Why are they as they are? Just security? Perhaps one of these and 2 normal?

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
They look like smaller studs with a sleeve round them to protect the alloys.

A4FA8EE9-9DE2-404F-82B4-C3A2B5DA8D7E.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Ah well in for a penny.....

Ordered the Plate from Coastal motorhomes - £33

Ordered 3 bolts from Augustin Group in Germany £33 - Coastal group only had one and Germany was cheaper than 3 from Amazon when delivery was taken into account.

£66 - ridiculous - wish I'd got a steel spare :think: Ah well.

I remember why I got rid of my Alfa Romeo now. :LOL:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Job complete. I intend never removing that wheel again - ever!! Mistake was getting an alloy wheel. Fixings for an alloy being £66 more (plus the additional expense of the wheel) and bolting the wheel to the mounting plate when underneath the van - well???!!! #Of course there is the dragging of the wheel to get it under there in the first place! I think a old rusty steel one would have been the way to go. One of lifes lessons. :rolleyes:

Not going to bother to lock it. If some is going to go to that effort they are welcome to it! :LOL:
IMG_2786.JPG

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
VXman Think about getting a cover for it. I have a steel rim fitted forward of the rear axle on a DIY mounting bracket for just over a year now and it has succumbed to the ravages of the environment. With lockdown the vehicle didn't move for 8 months but being a slack ar*e, I still haven't got round to it, something like out of sight out of mind:LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back