Fitting Solar Panels to Dethleffs Globetrotter XLi with EBL 101 (1 Viewer)

JohnZeus

Free Member
May 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
IH N-Class 630RL
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all, I've read quite a few threads / stuff here on this topic but nothing I have read answers all my questions. So with the horror of asking people to re-educate me with something that probably is already posted I'll get to the point.

I have a 2011 Dethleffs Globetrotter Xli with an Electroblock EBL 101 and a Schaudt MP 20-T control panel (I haven't got an English manual for this).
I would like to know if the Schaudt LRM 1218 or the Votronic MPPT 250 or the Votronic MPPT 350 are the solar controllers to go for given the following considerations, and here I would like you to correct me if I'm wrong as well.
I would like to fit 350W of solar panels, maybe this is too much but I figure I'd need latency due to loss in efficiency, shade etc.
I don't believe the EBL 101 can take more than 15A of current, do all three controllers comply or am I mixing problems through lack of understanding.
I want the system to charge both leisure batteries and the starter battery, although the votronic items seem to only have 2 leads into the EBL, can this be maneuvered around by some other method?
I understand I will not be able to see on the control panel any information about the Solar Panels, but could fit a monitor to view info, is there one that takes info from the EBL unit or would it come from the solar controller as just information.
My Fridge is a Dometic Auto unit that seems to have the ability to use solar power, does it get it from the EBL 101 automatically or do I have to do something else?
If you think I've missed something I'm more than happy to bow to superior knowledge as I've never fitted solar panels before.
Finally on another note but connected
If anyone knows how to take my driver seat off so I can get at the Leisure batteries I'd sure be grateful, or if there as another way to get then out then please tell me.
Many thanks to all in advance
John

Solution
if you link both batteries in parallel and monitor the negative feed, as most people do, the BMV won't monitor the two leisure batteries separately, it treats them as one big battery.

Linking in parallel forces the voltages of the two batteries to be the same, so there is no point in using the extra voltage measuring terminal to measure the leisure battery voltages in a parallel setup. It was designed for situations like a 24V setup with two batteries in series, where it can monitor the midpoint voltage between the two batteries. It finds a use in motorhomes to monitor the starter battery voltage.

If you really want to monitor each leisure battery separately, you'd need one BMV for each battery, then find a way to add the amp-hours...
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Hi we used to have a XLi these might be useful if you haven't already got them.

Attachments

• Schaudt EBL101 manual.pdf
    611.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Solar-Charging-Controller.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • Produktuebersicht_GB_2012.pdf
    613.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 831306_20101026_MP20-T_BA_EN.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • Dethleffs Manual.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 16
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JohnZeus

JohnZeus

Free Member
May 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
IH N-Class 630RL
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks Ditcha
sorry didn't see your post until just now. Appreciate all the docs.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back