Fitting solar panel(s) to a panel van conversion. (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2015
Grosmont near Whitby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
four years
Has anybody fitted solar panels to the roof of a PVC like our Lunar Landstar RL, please? I am told that I would have to use three 40w panels and I would have to dismantle the lockers and side panels in order to run the wiring. I feel sure that there must be a simpler way of running the wiring without all the disturbance but am not sure how. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Don't know your layout but whatever panels will fit on the roof there only needs to be one cable from them and you can run it on the roof then come down inside a wardrobe

Reactions: DBK
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It's not rocket science. Simply measures the gaps on the roof to fit panels and find/buy some that fit. Run a pair of cable's through the roof where its most convenient to a dual battery solar controller and then to the batteries . Sorted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I love Gromont and the loco shed, but have to go up onto the moors to wild camp. Can we stay on your drive?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I fitted a 150 jobbie onto my Transit Jumbo no worries.

Jun 16, 2015
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Full time
We have 2 100w panels on our sprinter roof ! It's a s&l conversion from selby if you haven't got sorted iam sure if you spoke to Anthony at s&l he would be able to help the problem with sprinters is the roof is narrow we found a panel that would fit across the roof !

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have maxed out my roof space on a 6 metre PVC with 2 x 100 wt panels - 1 is across the front and the other along the side. Follow @Stealaway advice and measure the available space and go from there.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have a 130 on our Fiat PV and a sat dish and at a pinch could possibly put another 100 on, do your own measuring and ignore the doom and gloom merchants that frequent these sites.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Has anybody fitted solar panels to the roof of a PVC like our Lunar Landstar RL, please? I am told that I would have to use three 40w panels and I would have to dismantle the lockers and side panels in order to run the wiring. I feel sure that there must be a simpler way of running the wiring without all the disturbance but am not sure how. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Ralphs fitted 2 to the top of Pug. We've also got a satellite in the space that's free above the fantastic endless breeze fan , to the right now, which is the black square at the front.
IMG_6996.JPG
IMG_4030.JPG
IMG_1521.JPG

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The van to the right on @Ralph-n-Bev 's first picture looks interesting. The single panel appears to be mounted on some sort of 'follow the sun' pivot.

Looking at the available roof space, it would probably have been more cost effective to have just used more flat mounted panels.

The2i's

Free Member
Nov 7, 2016
Appleby, Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2016
New on here, hence the gap in the thread. We've recently bought a year old Landstar RL and I plan to fit a solar panel in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted with my progress. I intend to use at least the loom from Sargent which will plug straight into the EC500 power supply unit and, maybe, their 120-watt panel. (I need to get dimensions confirmed first). There is some question over whether an additional regulator will be needed as Lunar usually opt to have the EC500 unit without a regulator for solar charging. This system should then automatically charge both leisure and vehicle batteries in rotation.
Brenige, have you made any progress?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back