Fitting second Leisure Battery (1 Viewer)

S

Smudger 41

Deleted User
Hi i want to fit a second leisure battery in our motohome. The battery is under the drivers seat and another battery could be put under a seat behind which is close by.Is it just a case of extending cables from exsisting battery to new one ? Is there any thing else i need to know ???:Eeek:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi i want to fit a second leisure battery in our motohome. The battery is under the drivers seat and another battery could be put under a seat behind which is close by.Is it just a case of extending cables from exsisting battery to new one ? Is there any thing else i need to know ???:Eeek:
As long as its the same capacity ie if 100ah then you would need another 100ah connect heavy duty cables + to+ and -to - , make sure they are secure job done

regards

buellster

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
Northumberland
Funster No
Exp
My van has a similar setup, I placed the 2nd battery in a box behind the passenger seat and used jump leads cut down to the correct length to connect both, + to+ and-_ to-. The battery box has 12v acs. sockets, the jump leads have a breaker plug so the battery box can be removed and used as an independent power source. We do a bit of wild camping and this arrangement worked very well last year. I also plug a solar panel into the battery box which charges both batteries. It has been a good reasonably cheap way of supplying power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
2nd battery

Hi I fitted a second battery to my bessacar 465 all that was needed was 2 extention leads from each terminal, and I screwed a frame to the round the battery for secureity, I hope this helps but remember both batteries will have to be match. :thumb:

peter

The vagabond

Free Member
Mar 6, 2009
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
second battery

I have done this too, please remember.......the fumes given off by batteries are explosive, so it should be properly vented.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a few posts mention using battery jump lead sized cable.

i use 50 amp stranded cable, around 1 mtr long. its only about 1/8" > 3/16" thick.(conductor size)

from a safety aspect, fit a fuse at each end of the pos cable, if this cable chafes or gets damaged and shorts to earth it will produce FIRE.

i use 30 amp blade fuses in proper holders fitted close to the battery terminals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
a few posts mention using battery jump lead sized cable.

i use 50 amp stranded cable, around 1 mtr long. its only about 1/8" > 3/16" thick.(conductor size)

To pass a BSC battery link cables etc must be a minimum of 25sq.mm thickness which is about 170amp capacity. However, I think most people go a little thicker my links are 40sq.mm . In most 12V systems rather than just considering capacity resistance also is an important factor in choosing the right cable.

Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back