Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
The van we are looking at, and this could be the one we buy, does not have seat belts in the back. It's a 1999 model and I believe that it is not compulsory for rear front facing seats to have belts pre-2001. But as we will want to take our two grandchildren with us, we don't want them to be bouncing around in the back. Does anyone know how costly or difficult it might be to have some fitted? The van has a u shaped seating area at the rear so we are thinking that we should fit a couple on the front facing long rear seat. Can anyone advise? Thank you.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Several threads in the past on this subject plus one running in the last few days. Basically retro-fitting is very difficult if not impossible.

Where children are concerned there is specific legislation covering all vehicles - see the Direct Gov site.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
The van we are looking at, and this could be the one we buy, does not have seat belts in the back. It's a 1999 model and I believe that it is not compulsory for rear front facing seats to have belts pre-2001. But as we will want to take our two grandchildren with us, we don't want them to be bouncing around in the back. Does anyone know how costly or difficult it might be to have some fitted? The van has a u shaped seating area at the rear so we are thinking that we should fit a couple on the front facing long rear seat. Can anyone advise? Thank you.

You may not need them by law , but for your own safety and your childrens safety want them. As did we. Yet we did not want a train like set of seats and table layout. We wanted a lounge , that you could lay about in .
Just remember that if the U shape is at the back , and you want to fit seat belts to it , that the bit you will have the kids in will be in the " crumple zone " Over/ past the wheels.:Eeek:
If you fit them on the sides they will cause severe neck and back damage or worse.
The only place they are safe to fit is on a rear facing seat. Making sure that the shoulders and head would be supported , or you'd get severe whiplash .

We fitted a rear facing lap strap into ours , as we only had 4 seat belts and needed 5. Its bolted through the cab chassis , and the back , neck and head are supported properly.
Ralph bought the lap belt and fitted it , it does the job and the kids are safe and we could buy the motorhome we wanted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
You may not need them by law , but for your own safety and your childrens safety want them. As did we. Yet we did not want a train like set of seats and table layout. We wanted a lounge , that you could lay about in .
Just remember that if the U shape is at the back , and you want to fit seat belts to it , that the bit you will have the kids in will be in the " crumple zone " Over/ past the wheels.:Eeek:
If you fit them on the sides they will cause severe neck and back damage or worse.
The only place they are safe to fit is on a rear facing seat. Making sure that the shoulders and head would be supported , or you'd get severe whiplash .

We fitted a rear facing lap strap into ours , as we only had 4 seat belts and needed 5. Its bolted through the cab chassis , and the back , neck and head are supported properly.
Ralph bought the lap belt and fitted it , it does the job and the kids are safe and we could buy the motorhome we wanted.

Thank you for your reply. I see what you are saying about them being in the crumple zone also the potential hazards with fitting them on the side seats. I don't quite understand where your seatbelts are fitted. Do you have a U shaped lounge and a dinette? Are the other three belts fitted on the dinette seats?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back