Fitting roof bars when already a Fiamma mounted? (1 Viewer)

kitetraveller

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 2 bed
Exp
Getting there!
Our first motor caravan (Citroen Relay lwb) has a Fiamma awning fitted, using the roof rack mounting points.
We want to fit a roof rack to allow either canoes, or a roof box to be fitted.
Can anyone point us to solutions (commercial or home made) that allow the roof rack without having to remove the Fiamma please?

Many thanks in anticipation.
Kitetravellers

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Maybe for the roofbox a couple of lengths of mezzanine plate glued down to the roof with sikoflex, then drilled and tapped to allow direct fixing of the roof box? fixing anything to pvc's is usually a bit of a pain because of their usually corrugated and domed surfaces. Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
kitetraveller

kitetraveller

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 2 bed
Exp
Getting there!
Thanks Vin & Josie.
We are so new to this it took a while to figure out PVC = panel van conversion......at least thats what we are hoping!

I had not even thought about glueing something onto the roof. I guess there are some good recommended adhesive mastics to use?

I also have to work around roof light and aircon (the TV aerial will be coming off soon) but there is definaely space up there.

I will let you know what solution we use.
Thanks
Andy & Christine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I fitted a solar panel last year using sikaflex 221 sealant but I had to glue down plastic fillets in the roof channels to allow full contact for the 150mm square corner mounts. By the way is your Relay a Wildax conversion? as I had a 2005 one with an aircon on it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not sure if your looking for the right way or a quick fix
The correct way would be to remove the awning and fit the roof bars to their respective mounts assuring you of a safe and correct fitting for carrying a load, then you should look at getting or fabricating a mount kit for the awning, many of which are bolted direct to the vans roof and dont use the roof bar mounts at all
G

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
kitetraveller

kitetraveller

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 2 bed
Exp
Getting there!
Our Relay is a home conversion, not ours; we bought it from the guy who did the conversion.

The Fiamma F65S is already very well installed, and I was hoping for a solution that didn't require taking it off and remounting it. Fiamma do a mounting set to attach the awning to roof bars, and it may well come to having to remove the awning, fit the roof rack, then fit the awning back on.
This is our first time away in the van, so all is new to us, but we are already planning longer trips, and considering how to carry extra 'stuff'.

I need to get some measurements from the roof of the van, as there are skylights and aircon up there that are bound to be in the way of roof bars.

Thank you for the suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Andy &Christine

Merrievale

Free Member
Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Can conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Andy and Christine,

I hope you are both well. I wondered if you found a solution as we are currently trying to fit roof bars to our van which already has a Fiamma awning in place!
We don’t want to spend the money on the ‘official’ method if we can help it!

Thank you

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the first question is whether anyone has the payload allowance to make it sensible to add the weight of the rack plus whatever is going on it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Merrievale, welcome to the fun house! :giggle:

I love the description of your van as a 'can conversion'! :ROFLMAO:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Has anyone noticed when this thread was started?? It was 2016 thread starter may not even own the van anymore!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Has anyone noticed when this thread was started?? It was 2016 thread starter may not even own the van anymore!
Yup I noticed but sometimes the original owner is still around even if they don't own the vehicle anymore.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
I have a similar dilemma. Ours has factory fitted awning which looks like it’s been bonded on. But need a roof rack for kayaks.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Thread bump. is it possible to have a the sun shade removed easily if it’s been bonded on?
If it's a Fiamma type they are fixed to normally three brackets with just a few screws so will come off easily, the brackets (which are quite small) are bonded or bolted to the roof so not so easy to remove.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have a similar dilemma. Ours has factory fitted awning which looks like it’s been bonded on. But need a roof rack for kayaks.
If its the usual type of awning that is fitted to the 'top' edge of the van then it is held on only in 2/3 places (depends on awning length as to how many brackets). These brackets are first stuck and clamped to the lugs on the top of the van and then the awning is sat on them and bolted securely.

I've moved a Fiamma awning from one van to another and the hardest part was removing the clamps due to their being stuck (see below) but it can be done, just be careful not to scrape the paint off where the clamps are stuck down otherwise you'll need to touch it up (better to get a tin of matching spray paint anyway as you'll likely need it no matter how careful you are!).

1617100890887.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back