Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I used on Andy's recommendation the same regulator and was so pleased I did. In June I changed over to the Victron one with bluetooth and whilst it's very good pound for pound the one Andy uses is just as good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You also need to consider your control unit if you want to attach direct to it - our Schaudt one could only accept either a LR1218 PWM or a LRM1218 MPPT, the latter being a lot more expensive - as much as £100 more than the standard PWM one which can be bought for approx £70-£80. In this situation I'd go for a second solar panel rather than an MPPT controller ... why? Apart from the fact that I'd get more 'power' input for my outlay, if one panel gives up the ghost I can soon rig it so I just use the one, but if the controller goes poof I've got no power at all plus an expensive controller to buy again (not as easy to get hold of as the LR1218 one either).

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Do you know what the difference between a MMPT controller and a PWM is please?
Hi Autowbars

I'm sorry I don’t know the difference but I was told by Eddie from Vanbitz at the Newbury Show they fit the MMPT and the one they recommend is a Victron controller apparently they had done some tests and found the efficiency of these controllers outperformed the other ones “I’m not sure which other ones they meant” but having said that Eddie is very knowledgeable and I would always trust his advice.

This is the type he was recommending not sure if this was the exact model as I expect they have a few models available.

http://store.meadotech.com/?gclid=C...4V-10A-10A-Solar-Charge-Controller/p/52182781

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes Tony

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Do you know what the difference between a MMPT controller and a PWM is please?
I would say between 25% and 30% extra power from the MPPT, I did a back to back test starting with a standard Morningstar PWM and then a Votronic MPPT.

We also have a Votronic MPPT controller with AES control that uses any spare solar power to run your fridge on 12volts once your batteries are fully charged, they are not the cheapest controller at about £140 for the 250 watt model but you do save a little bit on gas when the sun is shining and depending how many panels you have.

It was also important to me that the controller had settings for Gel batteries as that is what we have fitted and they require a different charge regime to straight lead acid.

Martin

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Has anyone fitted one of Andy's recommendations to a Hymer with a Schaudt EBL99?

Do they have a gel setting?

Malcolm

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You also need to consider your control unit if you want to attach direct to it - our Schaudt one could only accept either a LR1218 PWM or a LRM1218 MPPT, the latter being a lot more expensive - as much as £100 more than the standard PWM one which can be bought for approx £70-£80. In this situation I'd go for a second solar panel rather than an MPPT controller ... why? Apart from the fact that I'd get more 'power' input for my outlay, if one panel gives up the ghost I can soon rig it so I just use the one, but if the controller goes poof I've got no power at all plus an expensive controller to buy again (not as easy to get hold of as the LR1218 one either).
Not true, you can fit any dual output regulator or a single output one with a split charge solar relay.

Has anyone fitted one of Andy's recommendations to a Hymer with a Schaudt EBL99?
Do they have a gel setting?
Malcolm
Fitted Andy's recomended one to a EBL29 (newer version of 99) with a solar split charge relay feeding the starter battery solar connection on the EBL.
It has Gel & AGM settiings.

Have been very impressed with this regulator, in thick cloud at the top of a mountain 20yds visability still getting 25 watts out of it.

@Techno got my 25 amp one for £78.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Not true, you can fit any dual output regulator or a single output one with a split charge solar relay.

Fitted Andy's recomended one to a EBL29 (newer version of 99) with a solar split charge relay feeding the starter battery solar connection on the EBL.
It has Gel & AGM settiings.

Have been very impressed with this regulator, in thick cloud at the top of a mountain 20yds visability still getting 25 watts out of it.

@Techno got my 25 amp one for £78.
They want £84 now because of the week pound they say :mad:

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Thinks I will,get Eddie to supply and fit, later in year before heading off to sunnier climes for a bit.
We tend to tour around so batteries usually charged, stop on sites maybe every 3/4 days to top up water, empty the gloop etc.
Thanks all for the replies, but to be honest more confused now than ever.
Don't want to buy a crap DIY kit and be in happy with it when We may need it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back