Fitting out MH for first trip (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Don't go out with the mindset of packing everything but the kitchen sink.
Just go off up the road in it to a layby and try to cook diinner or something, then start making a list of all the things you forgot to put in.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Some things are obvious like bedding, crockery, cutlery, glasses, toiletries, loo roll etc. Add the nice to haves once you know what seems to be missing. The one thing we forgot the first time we went was a tin opener! Definitely one of the first things we bought specially for the van on our first trip out which we hadn't thought to take from home. We did have the corkscrew though! and didn't actually need it as the wine we took with us was in screw top bottles, LOL!

Denise

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
If you have the time or can really be bothered, both of you sit in the van and contemplate:- we're going to make a meal, have we got oven tray/pan/pot/skillet utensils, plates bowls mugs, wine glasses etc then move onto making the bed, undersheet, pillows, duvet etc then having a shower, towels, soap/gel/shampoo, toothbrushes/toothpaste(or denture fix for some of the more mature members) razor(not implying your OH needs to shave!), sponges, loofah etc and so on.
Then assess the fridge, does it contain everything you need, wine, beer,milk, food, beer and wine and then move onto essentials, more wine, t/bags, coffee, salt and pepper, mayo, brown sauce, marmite, cajun spices!
Water in the van is important so as already commented a watering can is a must, a hose if you prefer with connectors, and a torch located somewhere handy you can get to if everything goes black!!
Toilet fluid/tablets loo roll/wipes, etc, washing up liquid and scourer, spare batteries for any remotes, gaffa tape for running repairs.

Alternatively, take wine and glasses and a card and just buy what you need as you need it!

Happy touring;)

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
You will need a low wattage kettle so as not to trip the power supply on many sites.

At the moment Aldi have a 1000W caravan / motorhome kettle in their online sale at only £6.99 and if you add the code SALE10 in caps at the checkout another 10% cheaper. Link below.

Broken Link Removed

Delivery is free over £20.00 so if no other things in the sale or online are of interest stock up with some of their AA and AAA batteries they last as long as the well known expensive makes and much cheaper.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
We keep a detailed inventory (to make sure we don't forget anything). Here are our crucial three categories:

SAFETY/EMERGENCY
warning triangle x 2
high-vis. vests
de-icer/scraper
recovery tracks / tyre grippers
collapsible shovel
fire extinguisher
fire blanket
first aid kit
essential drugs
emergency ponchos
torches
headtorch
smoke alarm
CO alarm

UTILITIES
collapsible water carrier
waste water pipe
hosepipe (fresh water)
tap connectors (various)
funnel
mini spirit level
levelling blocks
LPG gas filler adaptors
mains tester
Euro mains to hook-up converter
UK mains to hook-up converter
25m hook-up cable
10m hook-up cable

MAINTENANCE
user manuals
compressor (for inflating tyres) + 12v extension lead
spare bulbs
multimeter
AAA batteries
AA batteries
CR232 batteries
9v battery
adjustable wrench
screwdriver set
spanner set
pliers
allen keys
miniature screwdrivers
insulation tape
gaffer tape
nuts & bolts
wire + connectors
epoxy glue
timebond glue
fuses
string
anti-rattle foam pads
bungees
spare oil
battery cap remover tool + spare battery caps
wheel brace
tyre pressure gauge
mallet

I could bore you with the other categories. For example, the CATERING and HOUSEHOLD categories seem to include everything bar the kitchen sink. I'm not even sure how we fit it all in the PVC to be honest :)

Sep 24, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,

Remember when on EHU to uncoil the whole extension cable as it will become a heated coil if you don't and could overheat and melt and possibly catch fire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Please tell me there's "cuddly toy" in there somewhere :D
Funny you should ask...
ct - Copy.jpg

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
I pack by “rooms” i.e. lounge, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom! As our van is only 7 metres and we are restricted to 3,500 weight this concentrates the mind. The garage takes the bikes , groundsheet and chairs and tables. Weight is always at the forefront of our minds. Do not need washing machines or ironing boards as I am on holiday. Sites have these items if needed and a travel iron and a towel on the table allows freshening up of creased items. I do, however, take a Camping rotary washing line which is very lightweight. We go away for 6 weeks at a time and this works for me. Oh don’t forget the slow cooker?

Feb 5, 2018
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Minimal, but learning fast.
I thought an iron was a luxury item... until we arrived on site after a sodden journey only to discover the bedding had got caught in the rear door and was also partly sodden. Ironing it was the only way we could think to get it dry enough to sleep in. So glad we had hook up that night!

Can't see anyone recommending a ridge monkey yet - we wouldn't be without ours. Or the steamer basket which goes in a saucepan. Helps us cope with just having two gas rings in our PVC. Cooked a roast diner - with gravy - parked on my mum's drive yesterday.

We're still new to this and always seem to have a mini chuck out after every trip - stuff we didn't use, but could have been useful.

Something else small and essential - to us - is a pack of playing cards and battery powered fairy lights. Great for when your battery power is lower than you thought and you need to conserve it.... Told you we were newbies!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
So when you have packed it with EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink you should fill it up with water, fuel and gas bottles and everything else you will carry then head for the nearest weigh bridge. Get the front and back weighed and work out how overweight you are then go home and start removing stuff.

Hope everything is Ok with it because you only have 30 days to reject it.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
And then go back home spread everything out on the drive and bring out the kitchen scales!! Speaking from experience??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back