Fitting new mains battery charger (1 Viewer)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I have just fitted a new Victron 30amp mains battery charger to replace our Cbe 522 one as we have gone to lithium ( not wanting discuss profiles here)

Our old Cbe unit had a D+ Signal connection from the DS470, what I would like to know is why there was a D+ going to the 220v mains charger

Is it to disable the charger when you start the engine, if so should I fit a relay on the 220v input using theD+ as a signal.

I have sent an email to Cbe but had no reply as yet and thought others on here may know.đź‘Ť

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
I have the CBE516 charger but mine isn't a D+ signal, it's a 12v supply to the DS300 to give an indication of EHU on the Hab control panel. I have gone down the lithium route and the CBE516 charger is disconnected. My votronic charger is connected in it's place. I could get a 12v supply to illuminate the EHU light on the panel but I really can't see the point. Prior to driving off during my walkround I probably would trip over the EHU cable:LOL:

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I have the CBE516 charger but mine isn't a D+ signal, it's a 12v supply to the DS300 to give an indication of EHU on the Hab control panel. I have gone down the lithium route and the CBE516 charger is disconnected. My votronic charger is connected in it's place. I could get a 12v supply to illuminate the EHU light on the panel but I really can't see the point. Prior to driving off during my walkround I probably would trip over the EHU cable:LOL:
Thanks that would make sense though even with the signal wire disconnected the display still shows ehu so I won’t worry about it👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
That's a bonus, mine system must be a bit more agricultural but like you not spending any sleepless night over it. (unless a funster posts to the contrary:giggle:)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Is it to disable the charger when you start the engine, if so should I fit a relay on the 220v input using theD+ as a signal.
It was a while back..but from memory ....
If the mains was connected ..and you started the engine there was no d+/ engine run signal available to the cbe distribution board..so all the functions that relied on that wouldn't be present..
The white signal wire I'm pretty sure was responsible for operating a relay on my cbe board..but the only small issue I have with it disconnected is the indicator light on the panel doesn't work when hooked up to mains..
I left the cbe charger in place but connected it to the start battery as a dedicated charger for that..switched on manually when I want to top up the start battery..
Andy
Ps
Without that signal from the cbe charger to the power distribution board the new charger won't charge or maintain the start battery... hence me using it as a dedicated start battery charger...all be it manually switched

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Could the D+ be used to signal a warning if you switch on the ignition whilst EHU is still connected?
Some motorhomes can provide a warning if you delve into the settings menu.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Could the D+ be used to signal a warning if you switch on the ignition whilst EHU is still connected?
I think the d+ wire isn't a supply to the charger as the op suggested.. it is the wire that enables the distribution board to receive a d+ signal from the base vehicle.. and when you hook up and run the charger the d+ signal is disabled..
Thats if its like mine ..ie a dsc300 cbe board and a cbe mains charging unit..
Andy

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Some motorhomes can provide a warning if you delve into the settings menu.
It would appear to be a 12v 50ma signal to the ds470 as others have said đź‘Ť maybe I could get a 50ma regulated supply to send to the DS 470 that would make it function as normal ?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Does this signal from the charger to the DS470 actually do anything, apart from maybe showing an indicator that the mains is connected? On my EBL, it triggers a relay to trickle charge the starter battery from the mains, but maybe in the DS470 it doesn't do anything.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Does this signal from the charger to the DS470 actually do anything, apart from maybe showing an indicator that the mains is connected? On my EBL, it triggers a relay to trickle charge the starter battery from the mains, but maybe in the DS470 it doesn't do anything.
I am not sure just yet but I have the option to put a feed to it with a small 50ma supply transformer from the charger main supply.
There is very little info available on the DS470 Cbe won’t tell you anything and Carthago dealers don’t want to know.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Is there an update on this subject as I’m just anout to fit a victron charger to my CBE system, Steve and Denise did you find that you lost the trickle charge to the chassis battery?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back